All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Virtual Machine Setup
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:44 pm 

Hello everyone!

Has anyone tried to install ST on a Linux virtual machine? If yes, the results? :)

We have a Xeon 3.00ghz 6-Core 12MB, with 8GB of ram, 500GB SSD and a ESI Juli@.
The server would be composed of a VM for Firewall , one for Stereo Tool , and one for a small Ubuntu with ZoneMinder (security cameras) and Samba sharing.
What could be the hardware request for a nice results?

Thanks in advice!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Keep in mind that many VM's have limited sound card support (to be more specific: 192 kHz output will be downsampled to 44.1 or 48, so you loose stereo/rds). Might not always be the case but this is what I experienced in VMware on Windows. You will also need to set a bigger latency since you might not be able to rely on getting CPU time when you need it.

Beside that, it should work the same as on a normal pc (in fact I've built and tested in a virtual machine for years).

But, why do you want to run it in a virtual machine?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:57 pm 

Quote:
Hello everyone!

Has anyone tried to install ST on a Linux virtual machine? If yes, the results? :)

We have a Xeon 3.00ghz 6-Core 12MB, with 8GB of ram, 500GB SSD and a ESI Juli@.
The server would be composed of a VM for Firewall , one for Stereo Tool , and one for a small Ubuntu with ZoneMinder (security cameras) and Samba sharing.
What could be the hardware request for a nice results?

Thanks in advice!!
Hello,

We did indeed have this working - we utilised a Linux computer with a soundcard which we were using for playout to 'ingest' the audio into NetJack then sent it to a virtual server for processing. It took a bit of trickery to get it from jack to stdout and back again. However it's easier now the gui version supports jack natively.

I did manage to get 192kHz ST working in linux with reasonable latency too. Used a Steinberg UR22. This made the transmitter work although I couldn't tune it perfectly due to the fact it has a filter; that said RDS still worked and I got a fairly solid 73kHz average deviation with 30 minutes of playing.

Even we a decent machine ST still caused the odd xrun/click which was annoying though.

I am currently looking at the possibility of using virtual windows architecture with Dante Virtual Soundcard however there are a lack of physical 192kHz to AoIP devices...

Post subject: Virtual Machine Setup
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:47 pm 

Yeah but the virtual hardware is different than the physical hardware

It is just like moving a windows drive from physical machine to physical machine