All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:56 pm 

So I am considering buying this program...I just learned about it, and I really enjoy the declipping and natural dynamics features (althought I am sure I am not using them 100% right yet). However, there is one thing that seems fairly annoying, and I don't know if it's because of a setting I have. I am using Winamp 5.65, and if I switch between a song suddenly (meaning I just double click to play a new song in the middle of another song), I get a quick noise of the song before it goes to the new song. Hard for me to explain, but it like it picks a random part of the song to play before it switches to the new song. I have experienced this with other DSP programs similar to this in the past.

Why is this happening? Is this just because I have the "free" version? The only setting I changed is that on the restoration tab, I moved everything up to the maximum for (what appears to be) maximum quality (and maximum CPU usage). But when I go back to the defaults, it still plays that blip of the song. When I bypass the whole program, it doesn't do it at all, so I think it is the program itself that is doing it.

It is not a huge deal, but it is a bit annoying. :( And I am pretty sure it is not my computer - it is only a year old and I just reformatted it on Friday. I know a little bit about computers so I don't think it's user error, at least with any of my settings outside of Winamp/this program.

Can anyone help? Does anyone know what I am even talking about? :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:07 pm 

I know what you are talking..
That is default 2 seconds buffer in winamp. Hit Ctrl+P while on Winamo and go to "output". There first try "WaveOut" configure it to around 300ms. If you like "Direct Sound" select that and do/try same.
This will just minimize effect and just sometimes remove it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:14 pm 

thanks for the quick reply. :) I changed my buffer in DirectSound to 333 (Winamp says that is as low as I can go) and changed prebuffer and buffer-ahead to 0. Is that not a good idea? Also, should I instead be using WaveOut output? I never knew what the difference between these were.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:33 am 

any other help? Changing the buffer didn't do much, I still have an annoying blip of music as I switch between songs :( This is about the only reason I haven't purchased the software yet. Is there another winamp plugin for output that I should try?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:24 pm 

I think this is the 4k samples latency Stereotool uses for processing. Just tried it myself, when i set the latency to 512, the problem is nearly gone. But also the quality is very bad then...
The problem could be that Stereotool does not 'know' when you start a new track by doubleclicking it and so cannot clear the buffer and so, after loading the new track, a very short part of the old track gets played. There is a bugfix setting for this (Configuration->Plugin) but this only works when a track has finished playing because then no data is processed by Stereotool anymore and only the content of the Winamp buffer gets played. But immediately starting a new track won't give Stereotool the time to detect that a new track has started (you could try and set the "Winamp bug fix" slider to 0.1s but on my pc it takes less than 0.1s to load a new file...).

A possible solution to this is to use "Virtual Audio Cable" (http://software.muzychenko.net/eng/vac.htm) or a similar program, set the Winamp output to the virtual soundcard and use Stereotool standalone.