All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Processors and OS
PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm 

Anyone running W7 32 or 64 with ST and a Marion Trace Alpha card using the Marian 64 bit drivers with an Intel I 5 or I7 quad. Seems a few users are using win xp 32. Any input would be appreciated. If win 7 32 works with no issues i'd like to use that.

Post subject: Re: Processors and OS
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:10 pm 

I guess this doesn't answer your question directly but I do seem to remeber being similarly hesitant to use Win 7 64bit with a Trace 8 for some reason and so settled for Win 7 32bit at the time. (I can't remember if it was because of driver or application worries which may or may not have been founded!)

Have also had experience with a Trace Alpha, but yes, that was on XP!

Hopefully someone else will chime in if you haven't figured it out for yourself yet?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:40 pm 

Well it seems XP 32 is the favorite OS among ST users. Was thinking win 7 32 would be ok but it's no big deal. I;ve been running it on xp. I've noticed some users running AMD processors,any issues there? I prefer Intel.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:38 pm 

Quote:
Well it seems XP 32 is the favorite OS among ST users. Was thinking win 7 32 would be ok but it's no big deal. I;ve been running it on xp. I've noticed some users running AMD processors,any issues there? I prefer Intel.
Anything newer than the Athlon64-based processors should not have issues. Approximate dates of 2007 and newer. The primary reasons are a restructured instruction and data cache, including L3 cache, and also SSE execution units are full 128-bit rather than 64-bit x 2.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:13 am 

Hey Oldiesstation -

I've got a marian trace alpha on W7 - 64 bit. The ASIO driver is crap! I'm in love with the Marian cards, but they are slow on the software updates. I could not get the ASIO to work properly thru ST, Breakaway, Audition 3, Sound Forge, etc.

I would do XP. Check out nLite - it's a great way to slip XP down to almost an embedded OS.

Plus there are years of working Marian drivers for XP - the downfall is of course the limited amount of RAM (with 32bit).

I'd be hesitant to run ST on XP on a virtual machine setup - I don't know why, I just like things to be dedicated and not running two versions of windows.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:39 am 

Limit of 4GB in XP32 (2,75 - 3.25GB) is not problem at all for dedicated processing PC. StereoTool will eat not more then 200MB of memory. Most important is that ram is fastest as possible. You actually don't need more then 2GB for processing PC with XP32.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 am 

Bojcha

You made up my mind - XP it is!

What do you run?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:29 am 

Quote:
What do you run?
You mean OS? 4 PCs are all with mine stripped XP 32bit SP2 (~180MB iso file). 2 for FM and 2 for stream. One for FM is with Marian and other with Juli@. Another 3 PCs for FM at other 3 stations out from my town.. All works just fine.

One important thing about XP and SSD.
In short, SSDs needs special formating and XP does not know to do that right. Easiest way is to make partitions and formating in windows7 and then install XP without formating "leave file system intact", or using diskpar" tool.