All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 12:55 am 

Hi, hvz confirmed that there are few spots in ST 9.92 where the GUI doesn't work, and one is putting text into text boxes. It is possible to ENTER characters into text boxes in ST Standalone Linux, but it is not possible to edit them. Backspace/delete/highlight and type over the existing entry does not work.

I use the Scheduler and and text entry is essential for that. Editing, also. So the workaround is to use the Web Interface . . . but I have gotten myself into a bit of a pickle here. When I was entering the Port number in Web interface I made an error. I entered 80811 and that's impossible.

So I can't connect to that port with localhost:80811 to correct the error, and the Linux GUI of ST does not permit editing.

So I need some way to edit the Port number entry. I had a hope that it would be recorded in the Preset's XML file, but no, it is saved somewhere else. It restores to the useless 80811 value.

Help?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:26 am 

Oof... in Windows, one would edit the stereo_tool.ini found in the %USERPROFILE% location. I'm sure somebody better at Linux could help you locate the equivalent of this file on your OS.

Have you tried another version of ST, such as the versions with the new UI found in the current beta thread? I believe the text entry issue was solved at one point. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33391

edit: I think 9.92 stores the registration key in plain text in this file. If you could do a file search for the contents containing that key as a string, perhaps you could locate it that way?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:06 pm 

MrKlorox, "Oof" is right. I am uncertain whether using a beta release in a broadcast air chain that has to be reliable for years on end running 24/7 is a good idea or an idea that might get me into hot water. So I hesitate to go that route.

You suggested that "edit: I think 9.92 stores the registration key in plain text in this file." In the Windows case it would be, as you say, "stereo_tool.ini found in the %USERPROFILE% location."

BINGO! For the record for other users of the Linux version, the config file is in /home/my_user_name directory, it is a hidden file, mine is named " .ST_FM.rc ". (Because I named the binary as "ST_FM" to differentiate it from a second binary I am running at the same time under JACK).

I found the malformed "80811" port listed as "Port=80811"

Close the ST executable, open the .rc in a text editor, change the entry, save, and re-launch the executable. Works like a charm!

In fact, there are several text boxes where Stereo Tool Linux is happy to accept text but won't allow editing the entered text which can be addressed by directly editing the .rc file.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 7:53 pm 

Quote:
MrKlorox, "Oof" is right. I am uncertain whether using a beta release in a broadcast air chain that has to be reliable for years on end running 24/7 is a good idea or an idea that might get me into hot water. So I hesitate to go that route.
Yeah that's always the potential circumstance on this forum. So yeah, the beta is indeed not recommended for on-air use. I was mainly trying to think of a functional frontend for the ini/rc file.
Quote:
You suggested that "edit: I think 9.92 stores the registration key in plain text in this file." In the Windows case it would be, as you say, "stereo_tool.ini found in the %USERPROFILE% location."

BINGO! For the record for other users of the Linux version, the config file is in /home/my_user_name directory, it is a hidden file, mine is named " .ST_FM.rc (Because I named the binary as "ST_FM" to differentiate it from a second binary I am running at the same time under JACK).
Excellent! Glad this worked, as the beta encodes the registration key line now. Thanks for posting the solution for posterity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:14 pm 

As long as the beta doesn't encode the .rc config file . . .

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 11:39 pm 

Quote:
As long as the beta doesn't encode the .rc config file . . .
The rest of the ini appears to be unencoded. Encrypted may be a better word for what it does to the registration key. It's presumably to protect those who post the file contents in a thread when trying to get support and end up exposing their key.

edit: clarified

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:26 am 
Site Admin

I wasn't aware that editing didn't work in 9.92 in Linux. I only know that some VST hosts block all keyboard actions, but we don't have a Linux VST so that can't be the issue here. I hope the new GUI will fix it - we're getting close to a release.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:56 pm 

Hi, yes we covered the text entry/editing thing a year ago. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33322