All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: ST in Bananian Linux
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 3:16 pm 

Hi all,
I just tried to get ARM version of Stereo Tool to work on Banana Pi BPI-M1 and Bananian Linux (latest) but I get this error:

root@bananapi ~/Downloads # ./stereo_tool_pi2
./stereo_tool_pi2: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./stereo_tool_pi2)
./stereo_tool_pi2: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./stereo_tool_pi2)

GUI version in LXDE tries to start, uses lot of CPU but never shows GUI and does not work (last warnings in stdout were about "Merge::Split not optimized)

Is there something I can do to make it work? Unfortunately I am not familiar with Linux as good as Windows and I know only about using apt and little bit more but stuff like static/dynamic library linking is mostly out of my scope.

Post subject: Re: ST in Bananian Linux
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:36 am 
Site Admin

Those 2 errors mean that you have a too old Linux distribution. Or that mine is too new. I build the ARM version on Raspbian (which, just like Bananian, is Debian based). I just found that they stopped with Bananian: https://www.bananian.org/news#the_end_-_2017-04-02 so that probably explains it.

The LXDE output means that ST is running (the Mix warning is normal, that's actually a note to myself that I should optimize that code :) ), but you say that the GUI doesn't show. That can happen (not sure why). Can you retry it a few times? I don't know the cause but I have seen a Linux distribution in the past which had a similar behavior. I would expect a line in the output saying that it cannot open the GUI and will run without.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 1:27 pm 

Thank you for reply. I could not make ST run in GUI at all even in multiple tries. However, my primary use for ST on Banana Pi will be as a console app for realtime audio processing in car so console version is my priority.

As Bananian is treated as obsolete, I just downloaded Armbian 5.25 (Armbian_5.25_Bananapi_Debian_jessie_next_4.9.7.img) and it provides me the absolutely same error as in Bananian. So I assume that I should download pre-made image of Raspbian and try it again? :)

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Just to make sure (since you mention a console app) you are running X-windows? Because if not - or if you login via ssh or telnet or something like that - it makes perfect sense that there's no GUI. So, no message that it starts without a GUI because it can't open it?

I'll look up Armbian.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:17 pm 
Site Admin

Glibc 2.21 is more than 2 years old already: https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/

So I would expect that most distro's are using it by now.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:50 pm 

So.. I tried Ubuntu, Raspbian compiled for Banana Pi and Armbian. I did not make work console version in non-X environment, however in Ubuntu both GUI and console versions work fine (but GUI version in realtime mode with 14 seconds latency between input and output regardless to enabled parts of processing).

For my situation, I want to start ST automatically (as fast as possible from boot) on headless Orange/Banana/Raspberry platform with external sound card and do realtime processing with minimal latency so I assumed that console version with audio card input and output (somehow.. I remember /dev/dsp from distant past) will be most suitable for this application. Am I right?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 4:22 pm 

If it would be more practical, I have no problem ordering Raspberry Pi 3 (or some good tested board) and use some distro which fits this board and is already tested and tuned.
Is it really possible to get latency in tens of milliseconds between audio input and output on those platforms? I do not need Declipper, PNR, Delossifier and other CPU-brutal processing - just EQ, Multiband, Bandpass, ACR Stereo, probably Hard Limit or Clipper and maybe True Bass.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 am 
Site Admin

I haven't been able to reach tens of milliseconds on a Pi yet, but 14 seconds is insane. About half a second or so is what I typically get, depending on the settings.

The command line version would have to work with arecord and aplay. Now I have never tested it (I really need to...) but the GUI version will *hopefully* work also on an installation without X Windows. (If not. I can build a version that does, and still uses Jack or ALSA).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:07 pm 

After some experiments with Banana Pi board, I decided to use it as a heart of NAS (this is for what it was bought primarily) so I will order a new board just for dedicated use in car as a Stereo Tool realtime processor.
Do you consider Raspberry 3 Model B (1GB) (this one) with some USB sound card as a good choice for my purpose? I assume that there exists verified and tested Linux images for this board so I won't mess with tens of distros as on Banana Pi :)

I think the biggest issue is now lack of cheap good USB sound cards with stereo line-in input.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:36 am 
Site Admin

That would work. There are very cheap cards for output (as in, under 10 euro/$). For input there used to be the Wolfson/Cirrus Logic card for 40 euro but it's out of production. (That card was good enough to get a good MPX signal out).

There have to be others. HiFiBerry makes good output cards, not sure about input.

By the way, most cards for Raspberry don't use USB but the pins on it.