All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:08 am 

I'm not seeing the option to run as a service in versions 8.20 or 8.23. I'm running 64-bit standalone. Is the option not there?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

It is there. Try starting it with -h or --help. That will show you the options. In short:

- To install as a service, start with -i
- To install as a server that runs automatically, start with -i -run
- To uninstall the service, start with -u

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:37 am 

One more question... Running Stereo Tool as a service... There is no way to access the GUI, correct? I would need to run the web server to adjust the sound?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:48 am 
Site Admin

Yes. Or set up the sound before of course :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:59 am 

Quote:
It is there. Try starting it with -h or --help. That will show you the options. In short:

- To install as a service, start with -i
- To install as a server that runs automatically, start with -i -run
- To uninstall the service, start with -u
Hi Hans,

I just did a fresh Debian Jessie 8.7 x64 (current ver) install on upgraded hardware over the weekend and am running ST8.30 with mixed results.

I use jack to route audio between Rivendell//ST//Liquidsoap//system playback, etc.

Even on the previous install of Debian 8.1 with ST7.84, sometimes stereo tool would fail to load on startup putting a massive hiccup in Jack connections and loss of audio.

The issues I'm facing with 8.30 on Debian 8.7 is that PortAudio mapping seems to change with reboots (even with persistent patches defined and active in QJackCTL).

Q1: Is there a definitive way to force ST8.30 to use the same ports on every reboot? I can see the sound card entries in the .stereo_tool.rc file in my home directory.

Q2: I've got custom ST presets saved. My theory is that the CLI version will start even if the GUI is flaky on Debian. Is it possible to run my existing configuration from the CLI version of ST8.30 -- bybassing the GUI altogether?

Q3: Would it be more reliable to create a systemd unit to start ST, then an entry in Startup Applications?

My existing Jack/ST workflow is:
Rivendell out -> ST in (( rivendell_0:playout0L -> PortAudio:in_0 // rivendell_0:playout0R -> PortAudio:in_1 ))
ST out -> Liquidsoap in (( PortAudio:out_0 -> liquidsoap:in_0 // PortAudio:out_1 -> liquidsoap:in_1 ))
ST out -> System Playback in (( PortAudio:out_0 -> system:playback_1 // PortAudio:out_1 -> system:playback_2 ))
*I also have system capture -> Rivendell in defined in QJackCTL (but it's not dependent on ST)

Thanks you so much!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi anjeleno,

This is completely unrelated to the title of this post, but anyway...

I've seen that sometimes ST doesn't immediately take the sound cards on my Pi with Raspbian. I don't know if that's related to what you're seeing. I did find a bug in the sound card code that I just fixed in version 8.31 (which I'm going to upload in a few minutes). Not sure if that will fix it.

If the name changes every time, then that's something that PortAudio does. You can still use the old Jack interface if you prefer that...