All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: RDS PI Code
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:05 pm 

Hi,

We are running Stereo Tool for our local station for 3 weeks now. It works & sounds nice, no problems whatsoever.

The only issue is that on some hours of the day we must change PI code in RDS. From 4pm to 8pm we must use different PI than the rest of the day. Since this is not possible automatically, we use macros in Robotask to emulate manual changing but it's not the best solution because sometimes it screws up directions and it changes other settings in ST (Once it disabled gate, today I noticed it was in the menu for samplerate soundcard).

I was wondering - is there a way to change PI code automatically or is it out there easier way to do that?

Thanks! Best regards.

Post subject: Re: RDS PI Code
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:17 am 

Changing PI code every day is very bad idea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:24 am 

Quote:
From 4pm to 8pm we must use different PI than the rest of the day.
Just out of curiosity: why? As Bojcha says, this sounds like a bad idea and most (car) radios won't like this.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:18 pm 
Site Admin

It can be done with scheduling (see the help page about that), but unless you combine it with AF type B which Stereo Tool doesn't support yet !!!!! it's a very bad idea and many car radios will refuse to lock on to your station if people programmed it in using the other PI code. Which means that on those radios, if you select your station the radio will mute for - say - half a minute while looking for another station with the correct PI code before they play audio again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:05 pm 

Thanks for your replies!

Trouble is, that law regulation for our country demands such stupid decision. Our station is within the network of two radio stations. Both of them are in the network together from 8h pm to 4pm. From 4pm to 8pm they must change RDS name and PI code and they can run the same program as well, but must use different jingles.

This is so much frustration for our listeners I won't even begin with, but the fact is that we must run two diferent radio station names and two different PI codes from 4pm to 8pm.

I will look into scheduling when I got home, if there is better option, please let me know.

Thank you! Best regards.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:31 pm 

Quote:
It can be done with scheduling (see the help page about that)...
Link in help for: "See Schedule for details" doesn't work...

http://help.stereotool.com/7.83/scheduler.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:26 pm 

I also can not find a right way how to set the programmer
it would be great that they could raise more detailed information with a template

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:10 pm 

Only the second digit of the PI code is different? (example: D249, "2" is the second digit)
If that's the case, I think most radios tolerate that.
BTW in which country is your station located? I know that Slovenia has such crazy regulation where the regulatory agency allocates PS names.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:21 pm 

Quote:
Only the second digit of the PI code is different? (example: D249, "2" is the second digit)
If that's the case, I think most radios tolerate that.
BTW in which country is your station located? I know that Slovenia has such crazy regulation where the regulatory agency allocates PS names.
Yes, that's right! It's Slovenia. We only need to change second digit.
The other 3 digits are the same and I'm still looking for the solution, since I don't know how to use scheduler.

BR.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:16 am 

Hi you can use MagicRDS to change PS and I think PI too in predefined time: http://www.pira.cz/rds/show.asp?art=guide_scheduling_1 (just set ASCII mode in UECP menu)

or use netcat in a script to connect to TCP Server (again set UECP to ASCII mode) and enter PI=932E for Primorski Val (before 4pm) and PI=972E (for Radio Odmev)(from 16:00 to 20:00 (4pm to 8pm)

PS: Which station are you running Primorski val (includes Radio Odmev and Alpski Val in its Radio Network) or Radio Aktual (has Radio Kum, Studio D and Radio Trtini)

Thanks for Anwsering and Best Regards
Hvala za Odgovor in Lep Pozdrav