All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Silence Detector
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:41 pm 

Hello Hans, I had to you one wish in connection with problems in a signal transmission. You could develop in the Stereo the Tool the silence detector? For example when the signal from a linear input lost in 5 seconds Soft it would be switched to a player which vanishes broadcast a signal from a network? And on the contrary when the signal vanishes in a network, would be switched to a linear input of a sound card? The similar decision has been realised in processor SONOS. Whether really such to make? Thanks!!

Post subject: Re: Silence Detector
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:19 pm 

That can be called "Backup Player".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

Can you clarify a bit on how this would work?

In the plugin version, I cannot create sounds when there's no input signal (well, I can create a sound on the "direct soundcard output" channel, but nothing else, because the program controlling it doesn't send any messages to Stereo Tool so I cannot send back anything). If you're using SAM or similar programs, they probably already offer functionality like this.

So I suppose you're talking about the stand alone version...

Which is either processes Line In input, or something that is sent to it using something like Virtual Audio Cable.

I guess could specify a 2nd input channel, if the first receives (near) silence for a while the 2nd channel is selected until the 1st starts sending data again.

Then, if the 1st channel is Line In and the 2nd is either another Line In or Virtual Audio Cable, a player that constantly plays some sounds could be 'mixed in' automatically.

Or, if the 1st channel is Virtual Audio Cable and the 2nd is a Line In, it would switch from VAC to Line In until VAC starts sending data again. VAC on both channels is also possible.

That should be relatively easy to do, but it does NOT offer control over a 2nd player - it would just start mixing in the sound wherever that player would be at that moment. I can mix it in and out slowly though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:10 pm 

Here how i think this can be done.

First, This option is usefull only in Standalone version.
So, we have ST standalone working with LineIn, then for this we actualy need a implementend player in ST (simple mp3 Player with editable song playlist). That internal player plays on ST LineIN, and will be activated only if on that LineIn is "No Sound" for X seconds. (X is nice to be adjustable).
Actually there is lot of job, (i guess) to be done for something like this, but i think this is simplest way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:05 pm 

It's a DSP for Winamp. Should work in other apps. Does what I need it to do.

http://nunzioweb.com/daz/files/Silence_ ... r_v1_5.exe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:38 am 

Hi to All. I think that Bojcha is on the right way to create this.
This is the "Filesafe" Mode On SONOS Image

Sonos 4 Failsafe Introduction
The failsafe (also known as failover) is a common feature of all the processors.The controls for it are found under Controls>Input>Failsafe.

Operation is simply that if an audio feed fails (goes silent) for a preset ammount of time the processor input will switch to a selectable backup source.Often the backup source will be the sound file Player.

Sonos 4 Failsafe Setup
It is assumed the processor is already setup (operational).
Select Controls>Input>Failsafe.In this panel select the backup source.Select the time interval that the primary feed must have failed for.Then optionally select Test mode to make sure the backup feed is operational.Then select Enabled.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 am 

This method is corect for standalone version of ST. I used ST after relay and before transmitter. Sometimes i need disconnect the relay and take signal from internet. I think that on standalone version we need have to choose Signal source: 1-Line In/ 2-Inside Player/3-Player for recieve signal from internet or local net . Sorry for my English ! :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:48 pm 

Hi. My wish is too difficult and unreal ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

I'm still thinking :shock:

Adding a player to Stereo Tool is really a bit too much - especially with support for all kinds of sources, streams etc. (And people would probably continue to ask for improvements, such as cross-fading, more input formats etc.). A simple .WAV player would be very easy, but might be too limited.

I think it would be a better solution to add a 2nd input channel, and use an external player to provide the input signal. BUT... There are some issues with that as well. For example, if the 1st and 2nd input channel or any of the input channels and the output channel are on different sound cards, they can (and will) get out-of-sync. Virtual Audio Cable would unfortunately also behave as a different sound card (unless BOTH inputs are Virtual Audio Cable inputs).

If you have a sound card with a secondary input channel, using that would work. The setup would be:
1. Sound is taken from input channel #1
2. If there's silence, input channel #2 is mixed in. If input on #1 starts again, #2 is dropped again.
In this situation, you can still use the silence detector that Tekie linked earlier to start a player on the 2nd channel if you don't want it to run continuously. (assuming that you have a 2nd output that you can connect to the 2nd input).

This would be really easy to implement, but as far as I know most sound cards don't have multiple inputs. (If I'm wrong about that, please let me know!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:21 am 

Thanks Hans. But i dont need second input because- First my source is relay, scond source is stream. Idealy for me is two variants of sources? Line In and Stream. I think that It would be easier to make this silence detector in DSP Plugin/ On Winamp we may play stream? and when stream is lost, DSP change source on Line In,or on the contrary. I don't need the cross-fading, and more input formats. Simply change input signal in processor, Line In, Or Winamp. Excuse, but i still think that this method very good work in processor sonos, but processor usage is not more than 45-50 %. But Sound quality is more best in Stereotool, and i dont want use the SONOS :)