All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: [DONE] Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:07 pm 

I'd like to see a version of Stereo tools that will work on the Raspberry Pi.

Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

What is the problem if you try to run it now?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:43 pm 

I don't have the Pi yet. was waiting until I knew stereo tools would work on it before buying one.

asked in another forum and they said the Pi uses an ARM processor so they felt it wouldn't work since most linux based systems are based on the same types of processors Windows based computers use.

that said does the stand alone linux version work with any computer that is linux compatable regardless of the processor type?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

Ow. I have always thought that the Pi was intel (or compatible) based. No it won't run on a non-compatible CPU.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 pm 

Hans, while we are on a topic of "will ST run on a ____ ?", have you considered porting some functionality over to a mobile phone app?

More and more, my smartphone (Galaxy S3) serves as my "radio" in my car. It would nice to have some subset of ST's level control and other sonic-texture features for playback of both local music and of various streams.

Thanks for all the great work you do on ST.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:36 pm 

Unfortunately it isn't Intel based and I don't know if it is compatible with an Intel based processor.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:45 am 

Quote:
Ow. I have always thought that the Pi was intel (or compatible) based. No it won't run on a non-compatible CPU.
Just to clarify, I understand it's rather difficult to code ST with regard to different CPU architecture, rather than company which made it ;) So, by Intel you probably mean x86 (or compatible) architecture. Though it should be noted, that ST performs significantly better on Intel platforms.

Nonetheless, great job on a multiplatform design (in terms of multiple OS compatibility)! :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:16 am 
Site Admin

Well, in principle it's easy enough to turn all x86/amd64 stuff off. There are 3 problems with that though:
1. I need to compile it for the cpu used by Raspberry. That's probably the easiest part.
2. Here it gets more difficult: I use some libraries and they also must be available (for a command line version it's a lot easier). The Intel IPP library contains 2 filters that I use a lot. I can easily program them myself (in fact, I used my own code upto version 4.22). The output is identical, but intels version is 2 or 3 times faster...... They obviously know their own processors better than anyone, and I'm guessing that they employ anlot of people who do nothing else than optimizing this code. There's no way I can compete with that without studying a lot and focussing solely on this single function for - well, a long time. And I probably still wouldn't get close (I found a benchmark of dozens of implrmentations of this filter and mine would actually be one of the best ones - but Intel beat all of them by at least a factor two.
3. A lot of cpu-specific optimizations in my own code would have to be switched off.

Points 2 and 3 will severely hurt the performance. And the CPU in the Raspberry isn't very fast to begin with as far as I know.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:32 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hans, while we are on a topic of "will ST run on a ____ ?", have you considered porting some functionality over to a mobile phone app?

More and more, my smartphone (Galaxy S3) serves as my "radio" in my car. It would nice to have some subset of ST's level control and other sonic-texture features for playback of both local music and of various streams.

Thanks for all the great work you do on ST.
I've been thinking about this for years already... One issue is that Android doesn't allow applications to get in between another program and the sound card. So this can only work if you include a player as well. I may remember it incorrectly, but I think you also have to use Java (unless you have a rooted device), which completely kills the performance.

As a comparison: I have tested an HTML5 application written in JavaScript, in browser Chrome. On an i7-4770K processor (3.4 GHz, one of the fastest Intels available) I can draw images on 2 screens simultaneously, 1280x720, at 60 fps, using only 1 CPU core. Running the same code in the same browser, my S3's reach somewhere between 5 and 10 fps, on a single smaller screen.

Since the browser is the same and is made by Google which only makes Android, I would expect that the Chrome browser for Android is optimized at leastvas well as the Windows version (the fact thst it's heavier also means that it drains the battery more). So, if these numbers aren't skewed for some reason, phones run at less than 1/20th of the speed of the fastest pcs of today. Add to that that Intel CPU's are highly optimized for image/audio processing tasks and a phone cpu usually isn't, and there goes another factor 2......

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:07 am 

But a mobile Stereo Tool would not need the heavy stuff, meaning all the paid stuff. AGC, stereo, multiband and simple clipper would be just fine for a start. Besides, there's people saying the latest apple IOS CPUs are desktop quality (Cook or someone at an Apple keynote said "forget the specs, it blows everything away" when they introduced 64 bits processing) ; also, I believe since IOS 7 Apple allows inter-app audio, which is audio routing. So maybe it's not Android for this one, but IOS