All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: Raspberry Pi
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:13 am 

Quote:
Well, in principle it's easy enough to turn all x86/amd64 stuff off. There are 3 problems with that though:
1. I need to compile it for the cpu used by Raspberry. That's probably the easiest part.
2. Here it gets more difficult: I use some libraries and they also must be available (for a command line version it's a lot easier). The Intel IPP library contains 2 filters that I use a lot. I can easily program them myself (in fact, I used my own code upto version 4.22). The output is identical, but intels version is 2 or 3 times faster...... They obviously know their own processors better than anyone, and I'm guessing that they employ anlot of people who do nothing else than optimizing this code. There's no way I can compete with that without studying a lot and focussing solely on this single function for - well, a long time. And I probably still wouldn't get close (I found a benchmark of dozens of implrmentations of this filter and mine would actually be one of the best ones - but Intel beat all of them by at least a factor two.
3. A lot of cpu-specific optimizations in my own code would have to be switched off.

Points 2 and 3 will severely hurt the performance. And the CPU in the Raspberry isn't very fast to begin with as far as I know.
In the Pi it can be overclocked to 1 GHz, but not sure that is fast enough especially if I have to run an audio player app as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:28 pm 

A few benchmarks of Pi:

http://www.roylongbottom.org.uk/Raspber ... hmarks.htm

I don't think there is a real need (and sense) in porting ST to another architecture. From my point of view it's a huge effort even to get something working optimally across various operating systems, using the same hardware platform (and Windows, Linux, IOS - similarly to ST - all run exceptionally well on *typical* Intel x86 CPUs).

Look at these two examples: Omnia 9 is a typical x86 machine (Intel x86/x64 SISC, One of the Core generation CPU, using 4 processing cores), while Optimod FM 5500 is a RISC device (like ARM), with dual core CPU from Freescale Semiconductor. Both do what they are designed to do. And they do it well. But you will never be able to port software from one to another.

I think there would have to be another version of some audio enhancer (much simplier) designed and coded specifically for ARMs (RISC). It would be much easier to code it from the ground up, and it would have a chance to run efficiently enough, so that everyone is satisfied. But this means it would also cost some time to learn the new device at first, then how to write the code for it and finally optimize. Is it worth it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting benchmark - which confirms that the Pi is (relatively) slow compared to modern pcs. Good enough for most purposes, but not really for this (some simple processing is definitely possible though).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:01 pm 

Quote:
Interesting benchmark - which confirms that the Pi is (relatively) slow compared to modern pcs. Good enough for most purposes, but not really for this (some simple processing is definitely possible though).
Isn't it? Even in comparison with Intel Atom, which I believe is an "in-order" CPU.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 am 

I agree. Not worth it unless there is enough of a demand.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:08 am 

Well, gee-whiz. I'm not suggesting that I should be able to stroll up to a client's transmitter... be able to plug in my ST-powered Galaxy 3 to the composite input of their exciter... and blow away a purpose-specific O* box.

I'd just like to tame some wildly-varying levels on the audio output of said phone, with the knowledge that the skilled audio squasher (a-k-a Hans) wont hurt that audio, and in fact might actually make it sound a tad better.

And for that "app" I would pay good money.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:09 am 

Quote:
Well, gee-whiz. I'm not suggesting that I should be able to stroll up to a client's transmitter... be able to plug in my ST-powered Galaxy 3 to the composite input of their exciter... and blow away a purpose-specific O* box.
But it would be pretty cool if you could 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:08 am 
Site Admin

A phone might be even more difficult actually. If I run the same HTML5-code on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my pc, then the pc can smoothly draw images on 2 1280x720 monitors at 60 fps using one core, while a single full-screen (which is considerably less than 1280x720 pixels) on the phone only reaches about 5 fps.

The CPU in the phone isn't slow, what I think is happening (warning: I haven't checked this, I could be completely wrong) is that apps on Android phones are written in Java, which adds an extra layer that really kills the performance. I think (again, I could be wrong) that the difference in speed is too big to be explained solely by the fact that the CPU in the phone is slower.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:51 pm 

Quote:
A phone might be even more difficult actually. If I run the same HTML5-code on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my pc, then the pc can smoothly draw images on 2 1280x720 monitors at 60 fps using one core, while a single full-screen (which is considerably less than 1280x720 pixels) on the phone only reaches about 5 fps.

The CPU in the phone isn't slow, what I think is happening (warning: I haven't checked this, I could be completely wrong) is that apps on Android phones are written in Java, which adds an extra layer that really kills the performance. I think (again, I could be wrong) that the difference in speed is too big to be explained solely by the fact that the CPU in the phone is slower.
Did you try latest chrome for android?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:22 pm 

I seems to have been a while with no further discussion about ARM or raspi.

Anything i am missing?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next