All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Dynamics Detection in ND
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:34 pm 

Hello,
I have an issue preventing me from getting happy with the ND section.
The Problem is, that the effect is good on (new) Songs with less Dynamics, ND brings live in such Songs.
But the effect is too strong on more dynamic or less mastering compresse Input material.
I even have tried various Settings including the Dynamics detection, but without the expected success.
Therefore i think it would be good to Change the Dynamics detection algorithm.
Now it works in this way, that the Dynamics will be detected by band and -if substantial Dynamics are detected - the effect in this band would be reduced.
But i think the reason for my described issue is, that even in hard mastered Songs are Dynamics when you see it by band.
Therefore i think it could be better to make it in this way:
At the Input of the ND section should be a Dynamics detector for the whole Signal with an adjustable sensitivity and Integration time.
The control Signal should then be feeded to a reduction working per band. And the "Dynamics detection"- slider in the bands determine to wich amount the effect in that band would be reduced based on the control Signal value from the Input Dynamics detector (and not as now from the Dynamics detection control Signal of that band).
The result should be a more adaptive Signal processing, so that (older) better mastered (not flat-topped) Music are not ore only a Little bit affected while the flat-topped material would be "restored" harder.
Do you think the idea is good?
Regards,
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like a good idea!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:36 am 

That is an excellent suggestion. I would be quite happy with that. I have noticed exactly what you speak of, Robert.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:24 pm 

Me too. Very dynamic songs (for example, Rockwell-Somebody's Watching Me) are affected also, which kind of misses de whole point, which I believe is -at least for the most part- increase the dinamics only of more or less heavily compressed or clipped songs. Thumbs up for this one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:48 pm 

It is a great idea, similar to omina9, where the dynamics of the song drives the ratios of expansion.