All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:51 am 

Though using most of the time the DSP version (and its free modules), I check from time to time the VST version.
The new GUI is really a great improvement especially for the VST version.

In contrast to the SA and the DSP version the VST version could accept input and output values above 0 dB like many other VST-plugins.
That would have the benefit to have the option to use alternative third-party limiters and clippers or other VST-plugins in complex plugin chains (when Stereo Tool VST-plugin is not placed at the end of the chain).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Admin

I suppose it does properly handle louder input? But output will indeed be clipped at 0 (which is by the way demanded by the VST specification... Which doesn't mean you cannot ignore that).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:59 pm 

Quote:
I suppose it does properly handle louder input?
You only suppose ?
My ears also suppose the same.

So practically values above 0 dB can arrive at Pre Amp stage as long as the Declipper module is off ?

I suppose that it would not be a good idea to feed an input with addtional gain from other VST-plugins to the Declipper module !?
Quote:
But output will indeed be clipped at 0 (which is by the way demanded by the VST specification... Which doesn't mean you cannot ignore that).
Does this mean that you could add a special configuration checkbox for the VST version output ?

"Allow output above 0 dB for other VST-plugins post Stereo Tool (if the advanced clipper and hard limit are off)" ?

So that - for example - you can feed the leftover spikes (above 0 dB) from the simple clipper (formerly known as final limiter) output properly to the input of another VST-plugin (in a processing chain) post Stereo Tool VST ?

OT:
Hans, have you ever heard of a Japanese plugin developer called Ken Watabe ?

Watabe ! (not Ken Watanabe - that is an actor) !

That Ken Watabe seems to be more or less inactive for many years.
I hope that he is not dead !!!?

He released some very brilliant (good sounding freeware) plugins.
There still exists one of his websites (but without any news or message for many years).
(Latest News [Last update - Dec, 22, 2005])
http://www.x-buz.com/Products.html

I googled him, but have not found any further information.

Does anybody else knows anything about Ken Watabe ?

He had released also a very interesting Beta version of a 5-band multiband compressor.
Especially interesting for Hans and Bojcha !
http://www.x-buz.com/BuzComp_Beta.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry - I forgot to respond to this one. But the latest version of Stereo Tool is no longer clipping the VST output below 0 dB anymore. Declipper will follow as soon as I have time to convert all the new things to it.