All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: AGC Windows Behavior
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:14 am 

I've got a preset made up that I love, BUT... I have one wish that I think would make it even better.

In the Orban 8500 that stereo tool has replaced, the AGC window is only for the release of the AGC and the attack is un-windowed.

I feel like in ST is both release and attack is window. Am I correct on that?

If so, it would be nice to be able to defeat the window on the attack side so that large changes from soft starts of songs into full level don't overshoot the following processing stages for that short period of time.
I am aware that If I shrunk the window size that it would cover this problem, but my only goal of the first agc is to keep the next stage of processing in the sweet spot and never overdrive it the next stage. I am in the sweet spot 99 percent of the time.. just trying to fix the last percent!

Post subject: Re: AGC Windows Behavior
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:15 pm 

Hello,
In the 8500 the AGC isn't only windowed for the release of the AGC.
It there has a 2:1 ratio, meaning a window size of 6dB means 6dB in the release direction and 3dB in the attack direction - in theory at least. In practice things are a bit different.
But have you tried to use the post-AGC compressor to overcome your problem? Using it with e.g. 3:1 and setting the threshold so that it normally nearly does nothing then it should only affect song passages that you described.
Regards,
Robert