All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:12 pm 

I use Stereo Tool as an MPX generator on a mountain top and I deliever it's content via a wireless IP link with a separate encoder PC on the ground. The problem I am having is that when I enable ASIO I am limited to a 44 kHz sample rate. I was using a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2, but I thought there was a problem with their drivers so I recently bought a Marian Trace Alpha and I have the same issue and now the dreaded NMI Memory Parity Error.

Anyway the problem is when streams via VLC is selected as the Input the sample rate gets forced to what ever the sample rate of the stream is and under Sound cards > Sample rate the selection become greyed out. Then when ASIO is enabled I get the error message "The current FM Sound card output sample rate is too low to output a stereo coded signal with RDS. Pleases set the sample rate to 176.4 or 192 kHZ."

But if I disable the ASIO, Stereo Tool is able to output 192 kHz and I have a perfectly functional MPX with RDS signal.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for reporting this one. It's a known issue, and on my todo list. For now, please use the non-ASIO output. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:07 pm 

The work around I've got going on right now is VLC is playing to Output 3 and 4 and I have those assigned to the SPDIF output, and I have a cable looping that to the SPDIF input and told stereo tool to use that as the source. Not exactly elegent and I don't think there is a way to automatically restart it if it looses the stream.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:40 am 
Site Admin

If VLC doesn't restart properly and Stereo Tool does, you could use a separate Stereo Tool instance to feed the output instead of VLC.

If you want to avoid using the extra cable, you can use Virtual Audio Cable instead (but if it works, it's probably fine the way it is, and you don't need extra software).

If you want to run 2 Stereo Tool instances with dfferent settings, make a copy of the .exe with a different name, for example StereoToolInput.exe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:59 pm 

I'm thinking the issue with VLC input may be more because of the sample rate of the stream. I have it working on the other computer on the mountain at the moment with a 48 kHz sample rate 320 kbps Stereo MP3 on the encoder feeding the stream. That computer uses a Sound Blaster Audigy 2, but I have buffer problems and I get skipping sounds occasionally.

Anyway, here on the ground I'm giving it a 32 kHz sample rate 128 kbps MP3 stream as the VLC input and thats when it won't encode FM MPX, whether ASIO is enabled or not. I'm doing the dual instances thing running a now and the soundcard which is a trace alpha does have internal busses called TDM, so I'm playing to tracks 3-4 and using TDM-1 as the input.

Post subject: View the latest post
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:38 am 

Im not sure if this is a bug or not, but I kind of like the 3D view with the exception of 1 thing. I can not click on any a/c. well I can, but it doesnt have the same effect as if i were in, say ground view. Any ideas?