All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:04 pm 

Dear Hanz,

After upgrading to 7.70 it took some time before I noticed my audio seemed a bit more "hot". I checked the multiband release times and they were all very short compared to my preset. I reloaded my saved preset several times but they did not change. Eventually I found that the default release value was shortened from 250ms to 100ms. I verified on another PC that all previous versions running the same preset yielded my desired release times. When loading the same preset into 7.70 they were changed.
I searched the forum and couldn't find anyone else having this issue (surprising).

Are you aware of this issue?
Or, does it mean the performance of ST 7.70 changed therefore meaning 100ms would behave similar to 250ms in the previous versions?

Best Regards.

Dean B.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:46 am 
Site Admin

Hi Dean,

From which version were you upgrading? A while ago I made a new compressor, and when comparing attack and release times they didn't act the same. Then I did some measurements and calculations and it turned out that my old numbers were wrong. The numbers that you see in the .sts file are still the old numbers (they have to be for compatibility), the new numbers should have the same behavior though.

So the sound should have been the same......

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:34 am 

Dear Hanz,

The upgrade was from 7.60 to 7.70. The preset was originally created in 7.40 and edited/saved many times since then in each version. I was able to locate this change by opening up the same preset on my test computer which was still on version 7.60.
Now that you mention it, the attack and release times were much lower (default value and my preset value) when loaded into 7.70. This was for the existing multiband compressor (of course) not the MB2 or Classic MB.

Are you saying the GUI values were changed to more accurately match how the sound was affected and the actual parameters (within the application) were not changed?

Best regards,

- Dean

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:27 pm 

In other words unless you modified your presets directly using a text editor, the output shouldn't have changed at all. Just the numbers in the GUI are lower/faster (attack is divided by 4, release by 2.5).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:08 pm 

Yes, all of my parameters are edited through the Stereo Tool interface.

Wow, thank you both for clarifying that.