All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:44 pm 

Hi!

Thanks for the Non SSE2 builds. I am probably the one guy using them. :)

There seems to be some bugs with the Non SSE2 version of 7.10.

First, the new "Equalizer" and "AGC -> Sidechain" options don't work. Selecting them does nothing, and causes the program to partially lock up. If you exit it then go back into it, the whole screen is blank. If you exit the host application (like Audacity), the process doesn't terminate; it must be forced closed via task manager. Only after doing that and restarting the host application does the Stereo Tool work again.

Also, Multiband doesn't cause any lockups, but it doesn't work and behaves very strange.

If I start with this in Audacity 2.0.3:

And bring up Stereo Tool, with all factory settings at default, and simply enable the Multiband option, the output is silent and the bars go to 100% red:

If I apply Stereo Tool, I get a very strange result in Audacity:

All the other options seem to work fine, even the Declipper (which is nothing short of amazing by the way).

Would be super nice if these could be fixed for us few fools stuck on non-SSE2 workstations. :)

Otherwise, it's still awesome to be able to use all the other features. :)

Everything's running on WinXP SP3.

Multiband in Non SSE2 version 6.32 works fine, as does everything else in 6.32.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Thanks for the Non SSE2 builds. I am probably the one guy using them. :)
You and one other guy probably :)
Quote:
There seems to be some bugs with the Non SSE2 version of 7.10.

First, the new "Equalizer" and "AGC -> Sidechain" options don't work.
Hm... This is very strange, because there is no SSE2-specific code there. Only standard C++ code, and I asked the compiler to generate SSE code for it.

You're using the VST version, right?

I could think of 2 reasons why this might happen:
1 - there's a bug with some instructions in the compiler if I use a certain type of variables, and this only seems to occur in SSE builds. If it's that I should even be able to reproduce it here myself; I'll check.
2 - There could be a bug that's present in all versions, but does not show up in all versions. (Wrong memory allocation).

I'll check for '1' first.

O, does it lock up when you play music, or even without playing anything - ie. just selecting it while the plugin is doing nothing already causes it to act up?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:57 pm 

I'm using VST version... I didn't think there was anything else for Non SSE2.
Quote:
O, does it lock up when you play music, or even without playing anything - ie. just selecting it while the plugin is doing nothing already causes it to act up?
For "Equalizer" and "AGC -> Sidechain", yes, just selecting it when the plugin is doing nothing causes it to act up. Multiband acts normal if the plugin is doing nothing, but produces the weird results when sound starts inputting.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:52 am 

Problems above fixed with 7.20! Thank you!

I can't believe I can run this tool on a PIII. :) Of course real time doesn't really work for any CPU intensive things, but it works fine for "walk away while it processes a bunch of files." 8-)

One other problem, and this may just be for Non-SSE2, is that processed audio is offset by the CPU latency. For example, if I run Stereo Tool on an entire file with the default latency at 4092 samples, the entire file shifts forward by 4092 samples. 4092 blank samples are added to the beginning of the file, shifting the rest of the file ahead by 4092 samples. The last 4092 samples are removed, keeping the file at the same number of samples. It behaves the same way for selections. (4092 blank samples appear at the beginning of the selection, the rest of the data shifts forward, the final 4092 samples of the selection are lost.)

For processing files, this can be remedied by using something list Sox to "pad" 4092 blank samples at the end of the files, then "trimming" the first 4092 samples off of the files after processing. Works, but takes extra time and is annoying. :lol: This problem is in both 7.10 and 7.20.

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:22 am 
Site Admin

Great that it's fixed! (I have no way of testing it, as you can probably imagine). You're actually running this on a P3? Wow! ;)

About the latency: The VST host should compensate for it! Processing requires latency, and there is a VST function that tells the VST host the latency - whether it chooses to ignore that I have no control over...

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:49 pm 

Well, the latency thing I mentioned above occurs in Audacity and other freeware editors like Wavosaur. So, if the regular SSE2 version works without this issue in Audacity / Wavosaur, then it seems like it might be some problem with the Non-SSE2 version not properly sending the info the editor needs to host the latency.

But I'm still extremely grateful for what I can get! :)