All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:17 pm 

Hoi Hans,

The dropdown menu to select the equalizer location in the processing chain has two 'Before Multibands' options, but no 'After Multibands' option.

Kind regards,
Gabriel

P.S. Don't forget about saving the Stereo Goniometer time base ;)

Attachments:
File comment: Screenshot
Equalizer.PNG
Equalizer.PNG [ 37.4 KiB | Viewed 5549 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:56 pm 

I was going to post a topic about this myself after I just noticed it. I think it's that one of them may be mislabeled.

Bojcha, hvz, if either of you see this.... which of the two is properly labeled, and which is actually after? Having post-multiband EQ would be preferable in a preset I'm working on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:24 pm 

Quote:
which of the two is properly labeled, and which is actually after? Having post-multiband EQ would be preferable in a preset I'm working on.
This is something that I was also unclear on and the documentation doesn't cover it.

And I too would like to have the ability to place it just before the SB/BC/AC. Otherwise I need to disable those in one instance, insert an EQ plugin in the chain, then another instance to manage final peaks. I realize the multibands can be configured to color sound much like an EQ, but I'm still pretty terrible at configuring those.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:00 pm 

Quote:
I realize the multibands can be configured to color sound much like an EQ, but I'm still pretty terrible at configuring those.
Not only is that a potential issue, but also the EQ shape affects compression ballistics, particularly in the critical space between the two multibands. The output level balance of MB1's bands going into MB2 can radically affect performance, particularly with tight/dense compression and fast attack/release times. What allows the compressor bands to do their best work doesn't necessarily sound good to the human ear. This often ends up with tonal balance that's less-than-optimal by the time it reaches the clipper stage. And there's only so much adjusting that can be done with the output levels of each band in MB2 (especially since there's coloration around the crossover frequencies). Just about every major-brand DSP processor has SOME form of post-compression pre-clipper EQ. It would be nice to know if ST has it too.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:32 pm 

I was poking around and I noticed a side-chain EQ attached to the SB compressor. I don't know if there's a consistent way to apply it however. It seems to only adjust the sound when the compressor is, well, compressing. But I'll mess with it some more.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:24 pm 

Quote:
I was poking around and I noticed a side-chain EQ attached to the SB compressor. I don't know if there's a consistent way to apply it however. It seems to only adjust the sound when the compressor is, well, compressing. But I'll mess with it some more.
SC PEQ does not change 'sound', it only change on what/adjusted freq will compressor react more or less.
For example i like to remove bass from WB compressor before clipper, since there is anyway bass clipper after that and in same time compressor will do the job much more consistent no matter how much bass is comming in it. Similar can be used for highs so to make compressor 'ignore' loud highs bursts like "S", "C" and similar sounds. It's too bad that we cannot hear (monitor) adjusted freq by that SC PEQ.. but eeh, probably another uninportant thing to add.

And yes, i already asked about this 2x "before MB" and if i remember it has something with older presets comatibility. Cant remember since i always use it before MB.
However there IS some broken presets in this very moment.