All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: RDS Radiotext issue
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:40 am 

Hi,
I have an issue with version 9.22 and 9.23 where it chops off the last character of the RDS radiotext on certain receivers.

I have tried resetting all settings to factory defaults, but it did not resolve the issue.

As soon as I downgrade and install StereoTool version 9.11, the issue goes away.

It is not a reception issue because it happens even when I am really close to the transmitter.

Is anyone aware of this issue and how to fix it?

Post subject: Re: RDS Radiotext issue
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:10 am 

While I haven't noticed chopped characters on any of the receivers I've seen, I agree that something with RDS Radiotext seems to have changed in recent versions. On some receivers, with 9.22 or 9.23, a trailing three dots (...) is displayed after whatever text is in the RT field. Mostly, we just leave a 17 character static message in RT, but it almost seems as if it's trying to display more than the 64-character limit -- thus the trailing three dots, as if to indicate the message has been truncated. This doesn't happen with 8.53 on the same receivers. This has been driving me crazy trying to figure out why it's doing this. I've tried playing with all the settings, but no luck.

Post subject: Re: RDS Radiotext issue
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:24 am 

That sounds like around the time when the carriage return (0D) feature was added, rather than the previous behaviour of padding spaces up to the 64 character limit?
I really liked that enhancement as it made much more efficient use of the limited bandwidth and allowed the groups to be re-sent more often. In 9.23 an extra space was added at the end prior to the 0D it seems, if the string did not fully occupy the size of the last 2A group to be sent.

Does this show up on an RDS protocol analyzer or only on particular brands of RDS-integrated receiver?