All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:05 am 

When the Encode Stereo option in the FM Transmitter tab is turned off, I noticed the audio sounded different than when the stereo pilot is set to 0%. I tested a few older songs like Elenor Rigby by The Beatles and found that I'm only hearing one of the channels, not L+R. Is this a known issue?

I'm currently running the latest version 8.52 with a Marian Trace Alpha sound card.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm 
Site Admin

Depending on your settings, it could be that you're getting different left and right outputs to the sound card. Are you feeding a transmitter?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:48 am 

Yes. I'm using output 1 on the Trace Alpha. In the ST FM Soundcard tab, it's set as Play 1-2 Marian Trace Alpha (MME).
I also notice another setting for Play 1-2 Marian Trace Alpha (WASAPI 32-192khz). I haven't noticed this before. Should this be used instead?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:51 am 

I should also mention...there's a 3rd option labeled "Play 1-2 (Trace Alpha 1-2) (Kernel Streaming 32-192khz)".

My objective is to send composite audio to the exciter in the highest quality possible.

Thanks much.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:32 am 
Site Admin

Wasapi is better (takes direct control of the sound card without going through the Windows mixer).

What is your goal? If you send stereo input into Stereo Tool and then turn the pilot off, your output will of course be mono. If that's on purpose, please turn Stereo Image on and set both Phase and Width to 0.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:26 am 

I'm using Winamp which sends stereo audio but want to send a L+R composite, pre-emphasized signal from the PC to the exciter. I assume turning the stereo pilot to 0 would be the same as not encoding stereo however the spectrum analyzer in ST shows audio above 20 khz continuing to be sent even though the stereo pilot is off. In this scenario, the L-R audio is still a portion of the deviation spectrum but is not used.

I can try Wasapi to see if that resolves the issue and let you know.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:04 pm 

Setting the image width and phase amplifiers to 0% reduces most of the MPX audio. That works for me.

I have it set to use WASAPI now also.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:54 am 

If I understand correctly you have the "Encode Stereo" option enabled, and then the pilot set to 0%... Why? If you don't want to broadcast stereo, then disable the "Encode Stereo" option.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:49 am 

Yes you are correct, on a temporary basis. I cannot disable the Encode Stereo option as explained above because only the left channel of the source material is sent to the output and some elements of the music are missing.
If I was using the stand alone version I would be able to pan the channels together on the mixer. In this case it is the DSP version fed by Winamp.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:42 am 

When you disable "Encode Stereo", Stereo Tool assumes you want to get (pre-emphasized) stereo L/R to feed a transmitter with built-in stereo generator (or a separate stereo generator). In your case you want to send out pre-emphasized mono L+R (which technically is not MPX, since it does not contain pilot + RDS).
In this case:
Disable encode stereo
Enable stereo image, set width and phase to 0

The output of both channels will be the same and no elements of the music will be missing. Leaving 'Encode stereo' enabled adds the L-R part to the signal, which is useless in your case and may only harm reception.