All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:45 pm 

Hi,

We've been testing ST 8.23 standalone x64 on a test rig. The test rig is the same as other machines running at remote transmit sites so the hardware is configured in a similar way - except our test rig takes a live stream (via VLC) and feeds it into ST via VAC.

After 4 days of running the audio was unusable and the sampling rate had slowed (ie: voices and music were playing slowly) then when I tried to kill ST it took about 10 seconds to recognise the close/end request.

On starting ST again it was fine.

The audio sounded like a buffer was depleted or it was right on the edge of running out of resources. I did check the ST interface and I saw the FM buffer was full (not sitting at half way like normal). Restart on less than 15% buffer was enabled but that did not happen.

I am thinking this could be a bug.

ST does normally keep up fine.

BeDazzler.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:54 am 
Site Admin

Are you using a Juli@ sound card, with non-ASIO? If so, please make sure that you're using the same driver on all systems - there are drivers out there that can do this.

If it happens again, could you try pressing the 'RESTART SOUND CARDS' button?

I can't think of anything inside Stereo Tool that could do this. Of course I could be wrong.. but I haven't changed anything in that code in ages (except that I'm completely rewriting it in version 8.25...)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:54 pm 

Hi HVZ,

Thanks for the reply.

Not running Juli@ or ASIO - our test rig is a very simple HP machine with AC1616 HD audio card running Windows x64.
We ran previous releases of ST on this machine with no issues.

When I clicked on restart ST was lagging and unresponsive, so I just ended the app and re-launched - it's been fine since.
I didn't need to reboot the test machine - it is still running fine today.

Tomorrow will be another 4 days since restarting ST so I will keep an eye on it to see what happens.

BeDazzler.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:18 pm 

hi..
You should use soundcard synchronization. Set it ON. Buffer bar (blue) should always be around half.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
hi..
You should use soundcard synchronization. Set it ON. Buffer bar (blue) should always be around half.
This is not that (and Auto works fine for synchronization, it compares the sound card names - if it's the same one it's switched off, otherwise on).

But playing at a very slow speed while the buffer is 100% full would not be caused by this. That sounds more like the FM sample rate - which should be 176.4 or 192 kHz for FM - was somehow set to 44.1 or 48 again, without Windows (which would normally resample; you would loose stereo/rds but not get slow audio if that would ever happen) or Stereo Tool being aware of this. I've seen this happen on some ESI cards, and there it's obviously a driver issue (you can actually see in the ESI overview screen that the sample rate is not what it should be).

Edit: If you also make the sound cards restart if the buffer gets above 185% or something like that, it would at least restart if this ever happens again.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:18 pm 

Thanks Hvz,

To confirm we do run auto synchronization between input/output which does work (M 1.0027 and keeping up fine).

I have changed the auto-restart feature to above 185%. Below is set to 13%.

The issue did not repeat itself after 4 days so it may have been a once-off, but I've now updated settings for our config.

Many thanks.

BeDazzler.