All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 7.83
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:51 pm 

Quote:
Version 7.83 is the worst for me. I installed 7.82 again and now I can browse with Chrome at the same time and without cuts!
Here's another trick, which I have worked out during this summer. (This is on Linux - but of course).

When launching StereoTool, it will create a number threads. Those threads aren't running with real-time priority, so the kernel will schedule these threads whenever it wants to. Even if you have "real-time' priority checked. Since there is no true real-time priority within the Linux kernel, we have to fake it.

There is a scheduler called FIFO, first in first out. If you change your program and threads to this scheduler, the kernel isn't allowed to interrupt the running program and thread. What you must do every now and then, is to call usleep() to tell the kernel that you have finished your work.

Then you could also tell the kernel to run a specific program/thread on a specific cpu core. If you do, don't forget isolate those cores from the kernel, so it isn't allowed to schedule any program/threads on those cores. (kernel cmdline: isolcpus=4,5). And don't forget the hardware's interrupts as well!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is it just me how would like to have x number of TB as a parameter? (like how many multibands you can choose).
The way it is now, you have 2, and you can turn them on or off separately. Why would you want to be able to set the number of bands? Or is 2 not enough?
Don't think 2 bands enough. 4 might be.

I would like to have a Bass section (same as with the Stereo section).

First the TB (multiband) and the BB and then a Bass compressor before mixing it back again. In this case, I'm running the TB after the multibands compressors.
Which frequencies would you want to use then? Above 100 Hz it starts to sound bad, and below 40 Hz is kinda useless.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Does this means that you are working on a version without the GUI?
No. There's a "generic" (as in: not Winamp or VST) plugin that is used by multiple suppliers of playout systems, and by some big media groups that process large numbers of streams (some over 100) and want more control over what happens.
So you are using X-windows within the omnia9.sg as well? Why no version without the GUI?
No, what do you mean? This has nothing to do with the 9sg.. which runs on Windows.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:12 pm 

Quote:
Which frequencies would you want to use then? Above 100 Hz it starts to sound bad, and below 40 Hz is kinda useless.
That's to be tested with different music.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:15 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
So you are using X-windows within the omnia9.sg as well? Why no version without the GUI?
No, what do you mean? This has nothing to do with the 9sg.. which runs on Windows.
What I would like to have is a version without the dependence of the GUI. (X-windows, wx-works etc..) Just a command-line daemon running.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:02 pm 

Up & running solid with 7.83 and Bojcha's Unreal Engine 2 preset.
Sound quality is great and Stereo tool seems very stable.
CPU usage is also OK. Running about 20 stations on a Xeon E3-1245V2 CPU @ 3.4 GHz with some room to spare for OS.
Keep up the good work!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:29 pm 

Quote:
CPU usage is also OK. Running about 20 stations on a Xeon E3-1245V2 CPU @ 3.4 GHz with some room to spare for OS.
Keep up the good work!
I also use that same preset but I find it odd that it shows slightly different settings for us. See the attached picture.

Attachments:
st2.PNG
st2.PNG [ 96.27 KiB | Viewed 8101 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:25 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Keep up the good work!
I also use that same preset but I find it odd that it shows slightly different settings for us. See the attached picture.
That's because the FM has a different setting in the lowpass filter, if you disable FM transmitter section, you get the 18100 Hz lowpass which is set in the non-FM bandpass.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
That's because the FM has a different setting in the lowpass filter, if you disable FM transmitter section, you get the 18100 Hz lowpass which is set in the non-FM bandpass.
Yes, and if you use both FM and "Separately processed for streaming" Normal output, you'll see both numbers. In this situation, you apparently only generate an FM signal.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:23 am 

Quote:
Yes, and if you use both FM and "Separately processed for streaming" Normal output, you'll see both numbers. In this situation, you apparently only generate an FM signal.
That reminds me of a question I had... For streaming only, would I leave it on DeEmphasized FM or use Separately Processed? Does it matter as far as ultimate output quality or flavor?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 Next