All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 610 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 7.82
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:03 am 
Site Admin

Edit: Just compared latency things for normal and FM output, and with non-ASIO, latency setting 512, I need to set both Normal and FM to 11 ms to get it to run stable in 7.82. So, I really don't see any problem here.

I do notice though that when I lower the latency too much it starts to hiccup all the time. (2 hiccups per second I would estimate).

I do have an idea that might improve things, so I will change a few lines of code. But I really don't see a problem...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:39 am 
Site Admin

Getting lower latencies now (also lower than in 7.73). Will post a new version for testing...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:24 am 
Site Admin

Windows 32 bit BETA002
Winamp/DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 83-002.exe
Stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 83-002.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 83-002.dll

The sound card 'Flush' calls for multiple outputs might have been slightly in each others way. That should be improved (not completely fixed, but better than before and definitely not worse than in 7.73) now.

If this improves things (which appears to be the case on my Windows 7 laptop with very small latencies, with Latency setting 512 I can now sometimes set the non-ASIO sound card buffers of both Normal and FM output to 8 ms, it's still only always stable at 11), I can improve it further.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 am 

Btw the 'Exceed Max Attack/Release Speed' and 'Exceed Attack/Release Rise' are always grayed out. Is this intentional?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:36 am 

Quote:
For "gating based before pre-amp" i`m NOT agree ! i use it always and works like i want
Bojcha is right, what he means is that you can achieve exactly the same result on both switch positions by compensating the AGC Gate Level by the amount of the Preamp value.
Example:
Preamp=20dB and AGC-Gate=-20dB and "AGC Gating based on volume before preamp"=OFF
is the same as
Preamp=20dB and AGC-Gate=-40dB and "AGC Gating based on volume before preamp"=ON

What i wouldn't prefer is to let the gating be based on after-AGC Level, cause a substatially louder Sound would relatively increase the gate threshold (caused by the gain reduction) for passages after this loud Sound...
The only processor where it is realized this way is the "IDT FM Sound Design", not switchable, so you only can work with really low Gate Levels...

Regards,
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am 

I just test your words - NOT like you said !
I have +15 pre-amp , so you said to set gating to -15db and turn OFF that option ! Well, red bar for the Gate is NOT act like my settings !
So i again will say : NOT right !

If your words were right, then if i set gating (without the option) to +15db , AGC must act like it`s now , but again is NOT.
If it must be like it`s now at my place - gating must be up to +40 , so i can set it 20+ db to compensate only the pre-amp. But gating is only to +21.

Then what will be if i set preamp to +30 or 40 ? From where to get this gating level then ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:21 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Btw the 'Exceed Max Attack/Release Speed' and 'Exceed Attack/Release Rise' are always grayed out. Is this intentional?
Not when Max Attack Speed is below 50 dB.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 am 

Quote:
I just test your words - NOT like you said !
I have +15 pre-amp , so you said to set gating to -15db and turn OFF that option ! Well, red bar for the Gate is NOT act like my settings !
So i again will say : NOT right !

If your words were right, then if i set gating (without the option) to +15db , AGC must act like it`s now , but again is NOT.
If it must be like it`s now at my place - gating must be up to +40 , so i can set it 20+ db to compensate only the pre-amp. But gating is only to +21.

Then what will be if i set preamp to +30 or 40 ? From where to get this gating level then ?
I think you misunderstood me.
When your preamp is +15, gating Level at "x" in your preset with this option ON (based on Level before preamp), you will get the same gating behavior when you Switch this option to OFF and increase your gating Level by 15dB, to "x + 15".
When the gating circuit measures AFTER preamp, the measured Level is higher (in your case 15dB) than when it measures before. And cause the Level difference is static (determined by the preamp slider) you can compensate it by the gate threshold.

Other description:
A sports commentator (right word? :-)) with ambience from the Stadion:

Levels before preamp:
Commentator: -15dB
Ambience: -25dB

Levels after preamp, set to +10:
Commentator: -5dB
Ambience: -15dB

You want to use the gate to prevent ambient noise raising by the AGC in speech pauses.
When you set gate threshold to -20, it will close on speech pauses when this switch is on, but not when it's off.
But it will also close when switched off when you set it to -10.
That's why you don't Need this Switch.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:04 pm 

Ok , the only thing you not answer is :

Now i have these settings and i like what the AGC do now with them :
1. Preamp - +15 db
2. Gate - +10db
3. Option ON

Please tell me to what level i must set the Gate , if i set the preamp to +35 db and option to be OFF ?
I know the answer and it is : there is NO such a value in this slider now !

You can try to answer even now with my settings . What level to be if i turn OFF the option ?
I just don`t want the AGC to be a PUMP, if i want this , i can do it via the Multiband (even now they are 2 of them), or from single band.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:32 pm 

Quote:
Ok , the only thing you not answer is :

Now i have these settings and i like what the AGC do now with them :
1. Preamp - +15 db
2. Gate - +10db
3. Option ON

Please tell me to what level i must set the Gate , if i set the preamp to +35 db and option to be OFF ?
I know the answer and it is : there is NO such a value in this slider now !

You can try to answer even now with my settings . What level to be if i turn OFF the option ?
I just don`t want the AGC to be a PUMP, if i want this , i can do it via the Multiband (even now they are 2 of them), or from single band.
+10 is pretty high, so it's gated most of the time, right? Yes, it would be out of the range. But going to +35 would mean 20dB more AGC gain reduction than actual in your preset...

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 610 Next