All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 7.82
PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:43 am 

True bass is crazy :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Btw can someone please elaborate a bit on the attack/release shape of the analog compressor. As far as I understand they're based on oil cooling. What do they mean? What setting means constant temperature (would the compressor then only act on attack/release time)? How do they affect the compressor (slow down/speed up/change behaviour, etc.)? What does the auto shape aim for (a specific shape/less pumping, etc.)?
I hate writing manuals!

But I started updating it anyway. Not yet finished, but you can find some explanation about the compressor here:
http://help.stereotool.com/7.83/agc.shtml
(I will copy this to the Singleband-section later).

By the way, I also added some images of what True Bass does:
http://help.stereotool.com/7.83/true_bass.shtml

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:18 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Btw can someone please elaborate a bit on the attack/release shape of the analog compressor. As far as I understand they're based on oil cooling. What do they mean? What setting means constant temperature (would the compressor then only act on attack/release time)? How do they affect the compressor (slow down/speed up/change behaviour, etc.)? What does the auto shape aim for (a specific shape/less pumping, etc.)?
I hate writing manuals!

But I started updating it anyway. Not yet finished, but you can find some explanation about the compressor here:

By the way, I also added some images of what True Bass does:
http://help.stereotool.com/7.83/true_bass.shtml
Regarding True Bass - Interesting. I suspected that it adds frequencies lower than fundamental. Somewhat deceiving name for something artificial :P Very neat though.

Regarding manual - now in the picture (and text) replace upspeed/downspeed with attack rate / release rate and it will be legit.
OK, OK, just kidding, but consider this, please ;)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:53 pm 

Godda follow Bojcha on that one, dat bass is dope…

Translated; it sounds like a brand new station just by adding it :)
That bass kicks… and I digg it :)

(Lately spend some time playing with my old boxes (Compellor/Prism/AuralExiter/8100/(trashed the XT2 cabinet (how did that ever get on the marked)), gonna have to update my preset soon…it don't sound that good no more after all the new updates. Going to add a few more... To be continued...)

Once again, Hans, Con Grats, a new update (7.83) that realy makes a BIG difference.

(Back to nerd geek modus)

Regards

Mr DonT

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:53 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Regarding True Bass - Interesting. I suspected that it adds frequencies lower than fundamental. Somewhat deceiving name for something artificial :P Very neat though.
Well, the effect itself doesn't contain anything that I would call 'artificial' tricks. It's a very simple formula that happens to generate subs, and only for tones where they are missing ;)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:27 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Well, the effect itself doesn't contain anything that I would call 'artificial' tricks. It's a very simple formula that happens to generate subs, and only for tones where they are missing ;)
I know :) It's the inversion of the missing fundamental phenomenon - because here, the True Bass predicts the fundamental frequency based on harmonics that are left in the signal (and physically adds that frequency), while normally, the bass enhancers do the exact opposite - enhance the harmonics that reveal the pitch of fundamental frequency (the illusion is that the fundamental low frequency is stronger, while in fact it might not be present at all). So still, I'd say your True Bass is pretty unique :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:10 am 

Quote:
[...]
I hate writing manuals!

[...]
Thanks a lot for writing manuals even though you hate it!
I found a bit of information on the multiband2 help page, but it seems you removed most of the new explanations, e.g. on the site you mentioned above or the singleband help. Why is that?

Btw what's the knee width in ST? Does knee = 10 dB mean threshold +-10 dB or threshold +- 5 dB? I guess ST doesn't use the 'usual' quadratic interpolation but some non-standard implementation?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10