All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 7.70
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:31 pm 

I know I'm probably like the only one using it, but the non SSE2 version is pretty much only usable at version 7.50 and earlier. Starting with version 7.60 and above, just simply using the user interface maxes out the CPU, and even with the host application sending no audio input, it is up to five seconds delay when anything is selected or adjusted. Version 7.50 and earlier doesn't have this problem!

WinXp SP3. Tried various hosts, all the same. Made sure license was entered!

Of course actually processing audio on legacy processors will be extremely slow (as always) but at least the user interface should work! ;)

Anyway, if there is any way to fix that without spending any significant time on it (since who doesn't have a SSE2 CPU nowadays) that would be nice. =)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

I switched to a new compiler for v 7.71... So I guess that might be causing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:30 pm 

i found an error in the vst64 version of stereotool. here is what i did:

Load the Preset "Analog Pleasure" in the Web DAB Tab. Go into the Expert Mode. Go into the first Multiband and change the number of Bands from 7 to 9. Adjust the new Bands 8 and 9. Go to the Levels Tab in the Multiband and change the Threshold of the new Bands 8 and 9. While changing it, the following exception occurs. if i change the 9th band i also see shortly an exception in processingchain E, but this is very short, so that i cannot make a screen of it. :roll:

edit: you have to answer the question for the new bands in the confirmation dialog with yes.

Attachments:
Exception_Multiband8.JPG
Exception_Multiband8.JPG [ 36.32 KiB | Viewed 8977 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:04 pm 
Site Admin

Just to keep track of some TODO's:
- CPU: Composite clipper: Optimize Stokkemask: Skipping outer parts of window
- CPU: Composite clipper: Optimize Stokkemask: Fixed 'Skip smoothing' mode to be compliant, all other modes removed.
- CPU: Composite clipper: Optimize Highs Gap Protection (trick from Leif Claesson - nearly no CPU load needed anymore!)
- CPU: Added some #pragma's to make compiler generate more efficient code
- RDS: Added some character conversions (Euro -> E, ` -> '). (not yet tested)
- GUI: Allow drawing scopes in half-height to have more headroom above and below.
- Fix Mac VST version (not recognized apparently)
- Fix Linux version (someone mentioned that it crashes after a few minutes, on Ubuntu 14.04)
- Fix crash reported in previous post
- Check if COMMON_STATIC still improves performance, if not remove it
- Instability in compressor behavior [WesKeene, Bojcha]
- Remove Stokkemask mode for non-composite FM clipper (it's probably not working correctly and more heavy than the composite clipper)
- Noise learning Micha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It's always the case with resource heavy presets like Unveil, especially with FM options on. Ofcourse I don't push declipper or composite clipper too much and so on (left at preset defaults)

EDIT:

Which inevitably points to one big question - will ST be more threaded in the future? Looks like it's about time to consider further thread-scaling...
No, but it will be more optimized probably. At least the clipper for FM will be. (And already is in my development version).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:22 am 

Quote:
- Optimize Highs Gap Protection (trick from Leif Claesson - nearly no CPU load needed anymore!)
I wonder..
Is it just cpu optimization or also audio optimization?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:52 am 

Bojcha ,
This sounds like audio optimization to me

- Make new Highs Gap Protection not reduce bass when there aren't any loud highs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:50 am 
Site Admin

Probably just CPU.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:34 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
It's always the case with resource heavy presets like Unveil, especially with FM options on. Ofcourse I don't push declipper or composite clipper too much and so on (left at preset defaults)

EDIT:

Which inevitably points to one big question - will ST be more threaded in the future? Looks like it's about time to consider further thread-scaling...
No, but it will be more optimized probably. At least the clipper for FM will be. (And already is in my development version).
OK then :) Nonetheless CPU usage in newest AMD series CPU point to a giant bug in Windows7 scheduler...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:44 pm 

Quote:
Probably just CPU.
Great anyway since it uses prety much CPU!

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2