All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 548 Next
 Post subject: Stereo Tool 7.61 BETA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Admin

It's taken quite a while (been busy with lots of things the last few weeks, but not so much with programming). Anyway... here's finally a new beta.

Nothing spectacular this time, but I'm trying out a new compression method. For now there's only a singleband compressor, called 'New Singleband' (it has a separate entry in the list of filters).

Why:
In Stereo Tool there were 2 compressors:
- Classic Singleband/Multiband. Which is pretty simple and doesn't always do what you would want it to do. It can only work on peak based, has no ratio or knee behavior and the release speed depends on how much attenuation there is instead of how big the difference is between the incoming audio and the current compression level. Which makes it hard to setup - sending a louder sound into it will make it behave and sound differently.

- The current Singleband/Multiband. There's a lot of control, but it has so many parameters that it's difficult to set up properly. You can choose between peak and RMS mode; RMS mode behaves a bit weird so most people opt for using peak mode, which - if you look at what things sound like - is actually a bad idea.

Both compressors also share some things, for example that you're always either in attack or in release mode; in the Classic compressor and in the current one in Peak mode a single loud sample will immediately kick it into attack mode, which also means that release hold will become active etc.

The new compressor that I'm trying out now is based on a completely different design, the basis of which was made during a (long) brainstorm session with the technical person of a local radio station in the Netherlands who also works on equipment that controls water pressure. The behavior is different from that of traditional compressors. I should also add that I have not yet implemented things like feedback mode and ratio. But beside that, it seems to do what it should now - without having an attack or release phase, and it controls the level based on the RMS level rather than peak level, even though it acts on the sample values. The CPU load is also a lot lower (won't be noticeable now, but it will be when I use it in multiband mode later). I think it's also usable as basis for a new AGC design, especially because it works so well on controlling the RMS level (especially at lower speeds).

I probably need to explain how it works, will post some more info tonight (need to go now).

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 61-001.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 61-001.exe

CHANGES:
- Added New Singleband Compressor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:55 pm 

I don` see any amplification function on it.
Or it will be only for the single band i hope. Becaus if no any Drive ( amplification) option , it will be totally different from now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

O, I could (and should) add that. For now just use the Threshold value to control the behavior.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:41 pm 

Linux... anything?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:36 am 

Hi Hans!

New singleband looks(hears) useful, definitely not with the default setting.
Gave it a try, even without multiband, can be fixed rather straight!

Attachments:
NewSinglebandSettings.JPG
NewSinglebandSettings.JPG [ 140.39 KiB | Viewed 13647 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Explanation of how this new compressor works.

First, I need to tell you that it's based upon techniques to control water pressure. To visualize what happens, imagine a pressure vessel where the instantaneous 'gass pressure' is actually the (absolute) sample value.

Traditional compressors usually have an attack phase (a too loud sample comes in and the level gets lowered) and a release phase (sample value is low). There are a few things about this that I don't like. For example, a single sample value that is loud is almost inaudible, but it has a big effect on the behavior: You go from release mode to attack mode, even if it's only for a single sample, and then you usually first end up in release hold before the release continues again. On top of that, I generally dislike "if this then ... else ..." decisions in processing, which is exactly what this is. This also means that a sound that has large spikes will come out much softer than - for example - clipped audio.

What this means: If you respond immediately to a sample that triggers attack, you basically will never get perfect loudness control.

So, back to the pressure vessel.
Code:
  _______
/    |   \
|    |    |
|    |    |
|    |    |
+----+----+
|         |
|  audio  |
The horizontal bar which separates the thing that pushes down from the 'gas' (audio sample values) moves, but not with infinite speed (attack/release time), and changing the movement takes time (which makes the output level very constant). Also, you can adjust the maximum speed at which it can move (think of doors that close automatically, if you push they don't close any faster).

If the movement is going in a direction, it will (if adjusted properly) not really slow down until it gets very close to the target level. So, it will reach the target level quickly (the old compressors were slowing down a lot, unless you used Inertia in the current one). If you let it move too far, it can over overshoot and attack or release further than it should and then bounce back (you can even get it to resonate). So, be careful with that :)

I have basically tried to match everything that happens to something that exists in real-life, which doesn't contain digital technology. It might work or it might be really bad, I don't know what to think yet.

When compressing based on RMS levels the bass has too much effect (it does't sound loud but still pushes the compressor down; when working peak-based that is far less the case because bass is usually symmetrical and looks like a sine wave or something even flatter, most other sounds don't).

O, and if Speed is set too high it pushes bass down even further! So, when you've found the settings that you want, lower Speed until things start to change.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

So what is what?

Speed is the speed at which the movement responds to difference input level.
Shape controls the slope at which it moves to the new target level (assuming constant input level before and after, so 2 different beep tones). At the default values it's nearly flat; set it lower and it will go beyond the target level; set it higher and you'll get a more immediate 'hollow' shape.
Speed Threshold is the maximum speed towards the target level. (Use this to control attack and release speeds, at least for now; I need to improve this).
Leakage is how much of any speed above the Speed Threshold is allowed to slip through. (You're pushing against a door that closes at a constant speed; this controls how much faster it will close).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:34 pm 

Why the most of the options are in "non" unit values like from 0 to 1 or 65535 . Is it possible to be in the default units like DBs, ms, or else.
Some more understand-able may be

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:21 am 
Site Admin

Yes. But later. Currently this is nothing more than a 'proof of concept' version to see if it does what it should.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:16 am 

Hi Hans. I am having problems adjusting the "Speed" slider .. Every time I go near the two extremes the compressor locks up and i can't unlock it.
The only way to make it work again is to restart ST.

My radio station
http://amradio.ddns.net

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 548 Next