All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 7.41 BETA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:00 am 
Site Admin

It's been a bit quiet, but I've been working on things. Nothing changed though. This version should be identical to the released version 7.40.

What I did: I simplified the code, removed a lot of the 'unnecessary steps' that were mentioned earlier and that were still being performed a lot of times, and reduced the amount of memory used for some lookup tables. Also placed some values in a new lookup table - actually that's the only thing that seems to have any effect on the performance (on most presets the difference is about 1% on my pc). The fact that the reduction of the memory used by lookup tables has no effect on my i7 laptop seems to indicate that at least on that hardware memory speed (caching) is not an issue. It might be on other hardware though.

Why am I posting this version? To get feedback on any new bugs that I may have introduced, and because I'm curious what happens to the performance on other hardware - especially AMD's and older CPU's with less cache.

Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 41-009.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 41-009.exe

Version number is 009 because I had a lot of in-between build to keep track of stability and performance issues.

Full change log:
52. Check CPU load. Start with checking if there's anything left that uses the 'unnecessary steps'. Sevdah Web preset: Data still gets converted 58 times... I think I need to do this one first, it should have some effect on the CPU load. 28 removed - next convert the 2 IIR filters so they can be optimized and the merge/split around it can be removed. I'm not measuring any effect from this though (but it makes the code simpler which is also good)
53. Noise Gate/Stereo Boost: Pre-calculate 1-cos() and sqrt() values.
55. Check MemoryPool behavior for cache improvements -> No effect measured, and might make behavior less constant.
56. Check if we can go in opposite direction for each next step to improve cache.
57. Check if lazy reverse FFT is an option. -> No, difficult and gain does not even seem to be measurable.
58. Created a separate class that performs the processing chain. Currently the same code is repeated twice (once for normal processing, once for low latency processing) - which means that a lot of code is duplicated and it's difficult to add extra chains. Most, not all, of that code is now moved elsewhere. (although the low latency chain is not yet modified, but that should now be relatively easy)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:31 am 

Quick test:

Seems to have choppy audio using certain presets e.g. Bochja's R type and J type.
Other presets e.g. Bochja's Sevdah and Jeroen's 6th Sense II seem fine though.

(Using pipeline in and FM out (ASIO) on an i3 with Win 7 32bit)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:35 am 

Just being nosy: 1 - cos is numerically instable around zero. Do you use special code for this? (Or maybe you don't need values around zero.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:50 pm 
Site Admin

1 - cos, not 1 / cos! So no instability there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:51 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Seems to have choppy audio using certain presets e.g. Bochja's R type and J type.
Other presets e.g. Bochja's Sevdah and Jeroen's 6th Sense II seem fine though.
Ah, "Post filter to avoid DC" (in the highpass filter) is broken. -> Solved now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:05 pm 

Quote:
1 - cos, not 1 / cos! So no instability there.
It's the other way round. If one is subtracting two nearly equal quantities one loses precision. Try the right side of 1 - cos(x) = 2 sin(x/2)^2 for arguments almost zero and you'll see they differ.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:26 am 
Site Admin

Near-0 errors don't matter in this case. (And I never get *that* close to 0 anyway).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 41-010.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 41-010.exe
VST32: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 41-010.dll

Changes:
Fixed 'Post filter for DC offset' problem.

Older changes:
52. Check CPU load. Start with checking if there's anything left that uses the 'unnecessary steps'. Sevdah Web preset: Data still gets converted 58 times... I think I need to do this one first, it should have some effect on the CPU load. 28 removed - next convert the 2 IIR filters so they can be optimized and the merge/split around it can be removed. I'm not measuring any effect from this though (but it makes the code simpler which is also good)
53. Noise Gate/Stereo Boost: Pre-calculate 1-cos() and sqrt() values.
55. Check MemoryPool behavior for cache improvements -> No effect measured, and might make behavior less constant.
56. Check if we can go in opposite direction for each next step to improve cache.
57. Check if lazy reverse FFT is an option. -> No, difficult and gain does not even seem to be measurable.
58. Created a separate class that performs the processing chain. Currently the same code is repeated twice (once for normal processing, once for low latency processing) - which means that a lot of code is duplicated and it's difficult to add extra chains. Most, not all, of that code is now moved elsewhere. (although the low latency chain is not yet modified, but that should now be relatively easy)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:05 pm 

Maybe in next version clean up all something like this:
eg. only 1 digit after dot/comma is sufficient and easy to use.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:56 pm 

There's also the problem that you cannot set the AGC numbers precisely: If one wants to set e.g. the upspeed to exactly one, I need to compute the correct number and add it directly to the INI-file. After the next start of ST it will be the exact number. Exiting ST seems to save a lower precision number though, so that restarting once more will make it inaccurate again. ST seems to use a different precision internally and a lower one in the INI-file. For the AGC this seems to be worse then for the new compressors. Weird stuff... :shock:

Old bug, still present: If one uses two band AGC the 'remove above' setting for the third band affects the two bands although it should do nothing to them (they have their own 'remove above' setting).