All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Platform Independence
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:23 pm 

Hello,

I have a question: Hans has told a few months ago that he plans a platform independence. Now, however, the complete multi-band compressor has been revised. This is really very good, because the sound gains in brilliance. But I think it it time that all Mac owners and professionals (for example, those who work with Final Cut Pro) get these opportunities too. I believe that Hans could therefore make more money, because it is precisely in this area, almost everything happens on the Macs. Windows is very rare in the field of sound processing.

I would imagine that provides benefits to all. It just needs the step to be risked. Sure you can always make the sound tweaks and improvements. But these changes would indeed take place on the same code base.

For example, the difference between the Windows and Mac VST is not large. Only the surface had to be changed. The interface itself works the same. A good example of this can be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/mda-vst/

The source code of the plugin is on the website.

Until when can we expect a plugin in the alpha or beta for Mac? Initially, the PerfectDeclipper would suffice. This would anyway be more likely to find in the professional audio restoration. And this usually takes place on the Mac anyway. Aside from the big studios.

I hope that there will soon be something new in this direction. Microsoft wants to rebuild the desktop interface more and more to a tile surface. It would therefore be good if could switch to other operating systems, apart from Linux.

Thanks for the answer in advance! I'm looking forward to more good developments. Since I found Stereo Tool, I can sound editing and mastering not imagine anything else!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:24 pm 

Do you really need a native application? There are currently several products out there that could get things running for you:

- Parallels
- VMWare Fusion
- Wine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:26 pm 

Quote:
Do you really need a native application? There are currently several products out there that could get things running for you:

- Parallels
- VMWare Fusion
- Wine
Yes had a native version, in my opinion, many advantages over the virtualization.

First The performance is much better and the latencies are shorter
Second A direct access to the sound card is possible, which enables even higher sampling rates
Third The CPU load is not as high as in a virtualization

For almost all the major plugins are there different versions of the operating systems. In my view not too much missing for the Mac version. In principle, the local audio environment is similar to that of Linux.

Hans, could you please refer again to this problem statement? I am interested in how you feel about this topic. I do not have a Mac at the moment,but I plan to migrate from Windows to it. I would really miss StereoTool. Just like the PerfectDeclipper! Those are really good products

It would be really great if something like this works in the future.

PS: Sorry, I instead clicked Quote, on PM. I'm sorry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:01 pm 
Site Admin

@near05: I have removed several Windows things, and I tested the Linux version of 7.00. There were a few big issues (GUI didn't respond properly, saving STS files doesn't work anymore, keyboard input doesn't work) which is why I didn't release it.

It's not too high on the priority list - there are a few other things that I really want to do first - but it should not be TOO much work to make the Linux version work again. Mac... Should not be too different, but I have no experience at all with it.