All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 18 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:54 am 

Some details left in the front end of ST, texts "Limiting & Loudness" should read "Clipping & Loudness" and where it says "Final Limiter" should say "Final Clipper."

The "Clip" in the MB (general clipping), apparently does not work, I set to 0 and has no effect.

The indicator on the AEHP should not show activity?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Redone the test. This time, used "Dire Straits - Sultains of Swing" (source was a FLAC). Both versions sound perfectly equal. Tight, deep, clear and high defined.
Great! (Good test track too!)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Some details left in the front end of ST, texts "Limiting & Loudness" should read "Clipping & Loudness" and where it says "Final Limiter" should say "Final Clipper."

The "Clip" in the MB (general clipping), apparently does not work, I set to 0 and has no effect.

The indicator on the AEHP should not show activity?
- Limiting & Loudness: Hm, this one also contains Hard Limit, BS412 and the singleband compressor/limiter. I think I'll leave the name as-is for now, in the redesign all these filters will end up in differnent windows.
- Final Clipper: Fixed (in code, will be in BETA017)
- Clip in MB: Only works if you lower the slider above it! (It's turned off when that's set to 1). Actually I wanted to remove these few sliders a long time ago already, but some people seem to use - and like - them (I don't).
- AEHP: It works, but it doesn't do much for non-FM signals so you could probably just as well turn it off...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:29 am 
Site Admin

Sorted the presets differently. Not really sure if this is the best sorting - I've placed all the presets that sound roughly similar together going from soft to loud. But maybe it's much better to either sort them on quality, or group them per preset builder. Or attempt to (but that's very difficult and subjective) sort them on quality.

In the generic presets section, I've changed the volume so that all presets reach roughly the same output level.

Stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 31-016.exe
DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 31-016.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 31-016.dll

TODO:
- BUG: When switching from latency 512 to 4096, Loudness is broken. Fixed when you enable/disable shortcuts!
- BS412 final AGC default settings need to change
- When BS412 and Bass Boost are enabled, show a warning
- Drops still occur in BS412! --> Ow, it's not as sudden as I thought. Have to check this one... I suppose when there's a bigger drop than allowed I should briefly drop even further. But that should not be needed. I don't get it, something is wrong... Might be fixed now, test tomorrow - Drops are gone, checking if there's no effect on normal audio...
- Remove 1 preset (there are too many for proper display in the GUI)
- Maybe sort them differently?
- Fill in a correct level for each preset to make it sound good with BS412
- Can 'Allowed highs distortion - strictness' be reduced to 1 now? (have to test that - I should at least enable that setting)
- Release

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Redone the test. This time, used "Dire Straits - Sultains of Swing" (source was a FLAC). Both versions sound perfectly equal. Tight, deep, clear and high defined.
Great! (Good test track too!)
In louder presets I really miss the bass kick in this track. I know why too - the bass clipper should not kick in immediately, or at the very least the 'sensitivity' part of it should be delayed a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:23 pm 

Quote:
- Limiting & Loudness: Hm, this one also contains Hard Limit, BS412 and the singleband compressor/limiter. I think I'll leave the name as-is for now, in the redesign all these filters will end up in differnent windows.
Ok, that's right
Quote:
- Final Clipper: Fixed (in code, will be in BETA017)
Ok!
Quote:
- Clip in MB: Only works if you lower the slider above it! (It's turned off when that's set to 1). Actually I wanted to remove these few sliders a long time ago already, but some people seem to use - and like - them (I don't).
I agree that it should be removed, given that there is an end after clipper.
Quote:
- AEHP: It works, but it doesn't do much for non-FM signals so you could probably just as well turn it off...
Yes, working and listening. But what I mean is that when work is not reflected in the movement of the blue bars, like the rest of the indicators.

Thank Hans !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

BS412 drops seem to be really gone now. Should be no impact on other sounds (I have to do a few more tests to make sure, but the first tests looked good). Added a warning when BS412 is enabled. And split singleband compressor up/down speed settings for AGC- and non-AGC style (you may need to fix these settings in a preset that you load!)

Stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 31-017.exe
DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 31-017.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 31-017.dll

TODO:
- BUG: When switching from latency 512 to 4096, Loudness is broken. Fixed when you enable/disable shortcuts!
- Drops still occur in BS412! --> Ow, it's not as sudden as I thought. Have to check this one... I suppose when there's a bigger drop than allowed I should briefly drop even further. But that should not be needed. I don't get it, something is wrong... Might be fixed now, test tomorrow - Drops are gone, checking if there's no effect on normal audio...
- Can 'Allowed highs distortion - strictness' be reduced to 1 now? (have to test that - I should at least enable that setting)
- Remove 1 preset (there are too many for proper display in the GUI)
- Maybe sort them differently?
- Release

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:27 pm 

In beta 17

Bug
In Stand alone verison, the main windows not opening !

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:44 pm 

Yes indeed here also no window in standalone.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:34 am 
Site Admin

Stand alone output window is back.
Highs intermodulation distortion protection: strictness slider can now be set from 0 (OFF) to 10. Oddly, 10 seems to sound worse than 2 to me... Will run some more tests tomorrow to make sure. I expect 2 to be better than 1 but I'm also not really sure about that yet.

Stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 31-018.exe
DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 31-018.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 31-018.dll
Command line: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 31-018.exe

TODO:
- Can 'Allowed highs distortion - strictness' be reduced to 1 now? (have to test that - I should at least enable that setting) - No, at least 2. Still have some doubts if 10 is better than 2 (difference is small). Leaving it at default 3 for now.
- Asymmetric bass reduction should not go below dynamic threshold
- Remove 1 preset (there are too many for proper display in the GUI) - No, shrunk font instead
- Maybe sort them differently? - No
- Take bass clipping into account with BS412 (will allow bass boost etc. to be used without too many issues) - Bad - unwanted effects, just use a proper bass limiting setting and this won't have much effect anyway.
- Add Bangkok FM preset - Done, but waiting for feedback from Bojcha on some questions
- Add extra setting to configure dynamic bass clipping level sensitivity differently for high frequencies.Done, works great , but I need to find a good default value and add loading/saving.
- Fix bug: Volume sometimes drops to 0 when BS412 is disabled and doesn't come back even if you press RESET.
- Split values for Singleband AGC for BS412. Will fix the sound of Bojcha's Addiction preset.
- Release

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17 18 Next