All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Re: NAB 2012
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:37 pm 

Quote:
O well, this was fun :D :D :D

http://youtu.be/G7-UhoT_CY8
HOLY F---

That is too much...!

Hans went and jumped off the Stratosphere, oh God.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:32 pm 

hans was the camera stuck to your arm of something or was it just a normal camera with a strap?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

They had what they called a "wrist cam", so indeed strapped around ones wrist.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:52 am 

Quote:
They had what they called a "wrist cam", so indeed strapped around ones wrist.

They added that after I moved out of Vegas. I did do the roller coaster, and the rocket chair thing on the top when I lived there, but I would love to do that free fall thing. Probably the best ride on the strip now. :)

-n4-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:05 pm 

Great jump! Glad you survived.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
BTW2: Bojcha, I know what to do about that bass: Allow more distortion in the low freqs (while still masking things, so I need some smoothing filter in one of the calculations). Actually I have done that in the past but I have removed it 1 or 2 years ago when I simplified the clipper (it got better, but I might have to re-introduce it for bass indeed).
While looking into this further I've actually discovered several bugs in my clipper design. Still thinking about how to solve it - if I find a good solution it will solve *all* these bugs at once.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:06 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Every 'louder preset' for ST goes even more then + 5dB in clipper.. Just disable protection and you'll see what will happen.
Point is that there is no other way to amplify Bass (in that part of chain) over "0dB" but to simply clip it. What designer's harder job is that to have as much as possible less harmonics caused by clipping.
Bojcha, I think I've fixed the issue, but I see very little difference between the old and new version - and also if I turn the bass protection on (with settings at 100%) or off. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:13 am 

And constant bass is clipped now (?)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:09 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
And constant bass is clipped now (?)
Ah, now things are starting to make sense.

The bass clipping should be close to what happens without ABDP - but I guess with that disabled you still don't get enough clipping at bass sounds.

What I fixed is a bug that could cause spikes to get higher (and less flag) than they are directly after bass clipping. Which may also explain the asymmetrical bass issues.

What I have not done, but I can easily do it, is allowing more harmonics at low frequencies. This makes little difference when the bass is not constant - but if it is constant it should have a big effect.

This must also mean that constant tones are not flat enough without ABDP - but it gets better when you increase the "Dirty Bass" slider, which indeed increases the level of very deep (below 50 Hz) bass sounds by about 0.8 dB, and also makes the output look far more constant, but it doesn't work at all at higher frequencies (100+ Hz). I need to make something new for those.

27 Hz tone at +12 dB. Top: Dirty Bass at 0%. Bottom: Dirty Bass at 500%.

Oddly, I had a filter like this in Stereo Tool 3.20 :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:03 am 

Quote:
- Also heard the Inovonics DAVID IV processor - I had never heard of them but it sounded very good (of course I have no idea how loud it was). Edit: Ow lol. Just looked through their brochure. The headphone output that I heard is taken BEFORE the clipper :roll: Latency is only 4.2 ms, which is really low.
I think that's where John Burnill (MBL/SONOS) did some work, I'm not sure. But the Inovonics FM multiband I think had something to do with his code in it. The unit with the round red LED's.. very 1980's looking.

The David III is a popular budget/community station audio processor. Quite a few friends in the industry know what Inovonics are, especially for their mod monitors. The David IV is about a year old now I think. I have it on my comparison wishlist beside Broadcast Warehouse DSPX's.

Can't wait to see some GUI overhaul snap-shots of stereotool in the future :) One day if I win the lottery I would love to go visit NAB in America. All those toys :)

Cheers,
Gavin.

edit: You jumped at night! Would have been more scary during the day I reckon.