All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 3739 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:17 am 

Quote:
Quote:
If you change my AGC settings to be a -4.0 dB Target Output,...
If you change that setting (Target Output) it has much more influence than the naked dB difference between the original output value and the new, because you change the weighting (balance) of quiet (old) and loud tracks (the individual distance to the desired target output).
Yeah. My point though was that if you swap our target output levels, my preset scales up very well and is able to keep pace, even with the gating level that I set. On the other hand, if I scale a preset that has a high target output down to the area of -12 (bear in mind EBU R128 is supposed to be -23 LUFS, or -23 dBFS) and it doesn't have gating, the AGC will push the levels up way too fast in certain cases and thus has to rely on the spike protection that Hans built in.

I did what I did with that gate specifically to address the situation in "The Pretender", and it works well, both at the lower target output level and also when scaled up to higher output levels. With that in mind, I think a negative criticism based on that factor is unwarranted, because it fails to compare the scalability.
Quote:
IMO it would be better to have an additional offset option in AGC (+/- dB post target output).
Not sure. All I know is that to maintain smooth AGC behavior, gating it (or possibly even lower up speeds) is necessary at lower target output levels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:23 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Hans,

Tested the beta 32, I tried to lower the frequency of the bass clipper 40-60-80 Hz, the result is always the same, low vibration and overall quality deteriorated.

beta 23 on the air again.

Best Regards
That basically leaves these 2:
In 029 I changed the bass AGC frequency (was upto 800 Hz, now upto 150 Hz)
In 024 I fixed a problem where the de-esser and Improved Loudness Distortion Protection levels were multiplied by the Final Limiter level - twice instead of once. Only when the Final Limiter was enabled. So if that's the case, you need to adjust (usually lower) those settings to get the same sound as before.
final limiter is enabled with a value of 1 (even by lowering the value, does not improve)

agc bass disabled

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:47 pm 
Site Admin

BETA037: Asymmetrical bass level reduction.
I do not hear any difference, but both Bojcha and Eldoradofm have confirmed that the version sounds a lot better - at least for the sample that I ran through it.

Because I don't hear any difference, it's impossible for me to test this one, so I'm just posting it here and waiting for results.

If you want to have the same behavior as before, disable the 'Lower asymmetrical bass' checkbox in the Loudness panel.

Winamp/DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 22-037.exe
Stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 22-037.exe Fixed
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 22-037.dll
Command line: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 22-037.exe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
final limiter is enabled with a value of 1 (even by lowering the value, does not improve)

agc bass disabled
Just checked 023 vs 026 vs 029 vs 031 - Bass AGC disabled, Final Limiter set to 1.

029 == 031, so that's ok. But 023 differs (slightly) from 026 and 026 differs (again slightly) from 029.

All are different! That's not what I expected at all... So I'll have to check what's wrong.

From 032 on things are very different - that's because of the new window shape - and that SHOULD be better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:55 pm 

Quote:
BETA037: Asymmetrical bass level reduction.
I do not hear any difference, but both Bojcha and Eldoradofm have confirmed that the version sounds a lot better - at least for the sample that I ran through it.
So, the "golden ears" comment was sort of correct. I guess it's more like "different ears"...

From the limited listening I've done so far, maybe the bass distorts just a little less, so maybe that allows the auditory system of various people to mask the distortion better.

For me though, there's still some bass distortion going on, but I'm not concerned about it, and if this puts this issue to rest, then great!

Edit: The distortion I'm hearing is between 50 and 70 Hz. It could be as narrow as 2-5 Hz. It's why I keep asking for a notch / band-stop filter... :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:45 pm 

Please dont be funny with me but .... i just tested latest beta 37 and I ALSO listened the difference ( now even with my extreme bass settings i don't have distortions/vibrations on some songs who have loud bass with vocals .

Maiby this is the first time my radiostation doesn't have that kind of distortions.

The distortions where audible when using headphones on lower volume.
( when you have loud the volume it cannot be traced )

don't laugh ok ?!!?! :) i am not kidding
:ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:17 pm 
Site Admin

So... now Camclone has golden ears too? That really comes as a surprise ;)

I'm starting to be a bit annoyed though, if it continues like this I'm the only person who doesn't hear this. (Which of course explains why the distortion was there in the first place, I don't fix what I don't hear).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:22 pm 

I decided to cleanup my ears :)

heheheehh :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:02 am 

installed beta 37, 40 minutes of the first test "seems" much, much better.

hear a few more hours in the air.

but the difference seems very clear.

thanks again for your time.

luca (NRG)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:40 am 

Quote:
I'm starting to be a bit annoyed though, if it continues like this I'm the only person who doesn't hear this. (Which of course explains why the distortion was there in the first place, I don't fix what I don't hear).
I think you misunderstand me.

There's always been distortion. I just never called it "vibrating voices", because that's not an accurate description of the actual problem. Because other people have presets that have higher levels of mids, they seem to have the ability to hear the harmonics of the distortion.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous 133 34 35 36 3739 Next