All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 516 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:33 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Some things my young Gen-Z ears have caught with the new compressor in testing:

- On Adaptive Bass Monster, I heard levels adjusting/pumping just slightly enough to notice during the middle of a chorus in a song.

- Adaptive Bass Monster: I noticed that the levels seem to just slightly duck down a bit on choruses/loud parts, but recover and seem a bit louder during the verses/quieter parts.

- Adaptive Bass Monster: Choruses/loud parts of songs seem to lose a bit dynamics and thin out a bit.

- Adaptive Bass Monster: Voice, especially female voices can be extremely harsh sounding. Not as much on male voice. But that probably should be looked into. Reverb may have something to do with it in the dense preset of A.B.M., but I’m not totally sure.

We have worked on improving the behavior on several of these in the last days; I have visited a local station that was using the Adaptive Bass Monster Dense preset and later spent several hours with someone who sets up lots of stations and we tried to fix these effects. I apparently didn't really have songs where this caused issues in my test set; I do now.

Here are a few changes that we made:
  • We slowed down the attack to 750. So that's a lot slower, which helps against short loud sounds that caused some ducking.
  • Added gating on the MB,
  • Set Level drop compensation more aggressively, so it's pulling up soft pieces much more. This helps not only when a new song starts, but it also causes the level to be increased faster after a loud chorus.
  • Increased Window, but made it work less strongly on release. While making the window act stronger on release sounds nice, it slows down recovery after loud sounds.
  • Using clipping and limiting now, and changed the limiter types for some of the bands.
  • Reduced band linking, which tends to make ducking problems much worse.
  • Increased 'Dense audio level boost' by 1 dB, this makes (based on test) very loud choruses about 0.5-0.8 dB louder.
The slower attack greatly reduces the level effects on loud choruses. The limiting and clipping removes the start of something loud which makes everything sound much "tighter" and more controlled, although it will cause some loss of punch so we might need to tweak the settings further.

Here's the resulting preset. Please note this this is work in progress; we spent some time on it last week but weren't finished yet.
Oscar_20240126.sts

Ducking on chorus seems to be far less of an issue when running in peak mode instead of RMS mode. I'm planning to look into that tomorrow. But just switching the detection from RMS to Peak might help quite a bit. Of course that does come at a cost in consistency.
Hans do we need the latest 10.22 beta to run this preset or it works just as good with the latest release 10.21?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Some things my young Gen-Z ears have caught with the new compressor in testing:

- On Adaptive Bass Monster, I heard levels adjusting/pumping just slightly enough to notice during the middle of a chorus in a song.

- Adaptive Bass Monster: I noticed that the levels seem to just slightly duck down a bit on choruses/loud parts, but recover and seem a bit louder during the verses/quieter parts.

- Adaptive Bass Monster: Choruses/loud parts of songs seem to lose a bit dynamics and thin out a bit.

- Adaptive Bass Monster: Voice, especially female voices can be extremely harsh sounding. Not as much on male voice. But that probably should be looked into. Reverb may have something to do with it in the dense preset of A.B.M., but I’m not totally sure.

We have worked on improving the behavior on several of these in the last days; I have visited a local station that was using the Adaptive Bass Monster Dense preset and later spent several hours with someone who sets up lots of stations and we tried to fix these effects. I apparently didn't really have songs where this caused issues in my test set; I do now.

• We slowed down the attack to 750. So that's a lot slower, which helps against short loud sounds that caused some ducking.
  • Set Level drop compensation more aggressively, so it's pulling up soft pieces much more. This helps not only when a new song starts, but it also causes the level to be increased faster after a loud chorus.
  • Increased Window, but made it work less strongly on release. While making the window act stronger on release sounds nice, it slows down recovery after loud sounds.
  • Using clipping and limiting now, and changed the limiter types for some of the bands.
  • Increased 'Dense audio level boost' by 1 dB, this makes (based on test) very loud choruses about 0.5-0.8 dB louder.
The slower attack greatly reduces the level effects on loud choruses. The limiting and clipping removes the start of something loud which makes everything sound much "tighter" and more controlled, although it will cause some loss of punch so we might need to tweak the settings further.

Here's the resulting preset. Please note this this is work in progress; we spent some time on it last week but weren't finished yet.
Oscar_20240126.sts

Ducking on chorus seems to be far less of an issue when running in peak mode instead of RMS mode. I'm planning to look into that tomorrow. But just switching the detection from RMS to Peak might help quite a bit. Of course that does come at a cost in consistency.
Hans do we need the latest 10.22 beta to run this preset or it works just as good with the latest release 10.21?
10.21 should work fine as well, there are no changes in the code for this.

I have made some small changes, the Intellilimiter threshold wasn't increased which was necessary with the slower attack. This caused dynamic highs to be pushed down too much, which caused some loss in "strength" (I don't mean level but how 'strong'/punchy etc the highs sound). The Intellilimiter increase + slowdown together MIGHT be slightly too much, we're going to listen to this on FM with a bunch of people for the next few days.
Attachment:
Oscar_20240129.sts [165.31 KiB]
Downloaded 266 times

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:30 am 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oscar_20240126.sts

10.21 should work fine as well, there are no changes in the code for this.

I have made some small changes, the Intellilimiter threshold wasn't increased which was necessary with the slower attack. This caused dynamic highs to be pushed down too much, which caused some loss in "strength" (I don't mean level but how 'strong'/punchy etc the highs sound). The Intellilimiter increase + slowdown together MIGHT be slightly too much, we're going to listen to this on FM with a bunch of people for the next few days.
Oscar_20240129.sts

Yes now the highs perform better Hans. It sounded kinda mushy on the high end on my side here kinda like the low bitrate songs (i am using uncompressed tho)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:43 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I put the VST2 64 bit DLL in the VirtualDJ\Plugins64\SoundEffect folder.
Don't know if VST3 is supported but will try it.
Right, I have no VirtualDJ folder in my documents folder. The tutorials appear to be for a previous version or something. Let us know if the VST3's work.
They changed it some time ago for new installations to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualDJ
e: a VST3 also shows up in the effects-list, didn't know that!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:47 pm 

Quote:
They changed it some time ago for new installations to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualDJ
e: a VST3 also shows up in the effects-list, didn't know that!
Ah, got it. Yeah the VST3 UI seems to work fine! But the VST2 UI is alllll sorts of screwed up. it's like the size of a desktop icon or smaller in height and all colors are black. I'd get a screenshot, but it's too small to make out.

I would recommend the VST3 format above the VST2 any day; and with this specific issue in VirtualDJ, the choice is clear.

edit: Ah, apparently the VST3 is giving me the color-changing hues in this host. And this time it's all colors, not just purple. Not sure I've ever experienced this bug in the VST3 either... it's hard to remember. And as expected, loading a skin stops the color changing, unless a default purple is loaded.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:19 pm 

I'm just curious. What is the Aqua-version of MicroMPX? Will this mean the GUI is inspired by Apple's aqua design? :P

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:00 pm 

Hans, there is something I don't understand about licensing.

There is a red banner about an unregistered license, however I can't find witch setting it caused.
Pushing the button "Turn all unlicensed features of" doesn't make any change.

Attachments:
License.JPG
License.JPG [ 165.85 KiB | Viewed 1108 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:13 am 

Quote:
Hans, there is something I don't understand about licensing.

There is a red banner about an unregistered license, however I can't find witch setting it caused.
Pushing the button "Turn all unlicensed features of" doesn't make any change.
I'm not certain if this is the cause or if this will fix it, but can you try something for me? I think the new Adaptive mode in the compressors may be on, and it's possible this hasn't been integrated into the Turn Off All Unlicensed Features button.

To turn this mode off, you'll want to look for Miscellaneous > Compressor type and change it to Analog in the AGC and/or Compressors. Again, this is just a hunch. I'll do some testing and see if I can't get something similar to appear here.

edit: Ah yes. The button to turn off unlicensed features doesn't work on the Adaptive selection on multiband1 after I disable everything with the button, then manually reenable it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:25 pm 

Quote:
edit: Ah yes. The button to turn off unlicensed features doesn't work on the Adaptive selection on multiband1 after I disable everything with the button, then manually reenable it
Thanks,
It indeed disappeared after turning all adaptive modes off :-) There is no license yet to avoid this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2024 9:53 am 

Hi everyone.
I have a problem selecting the FM output.
When I start stereotools it selects the wrong output.
I use the Behringer UMC404HD sound card for the FM output but I also have the Behringer x32 compact mixer with the USB connection therefore in the list of sound cards 2 outputs appear with the same name but with different sampling frequencies. Stereotools chooses the wrong card. Once reset stereotools works correctly until the next reboot where the problem returns.

Attachments:
Screenshot 2024-02-06 093956.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 093956.png [ 51.79 KiB | Viewed 942 times ]
Screenshot 2024-02-06 093632.png
Screenshot 2024-02-06 093632.png [ 67.24 KiB | Viewed 942 times ]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 516 Next