All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:47 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
As I see, instead of the original one, Leif's modified Composite Clipper is the default in BETA037, and the "Strictness (CPU)" slider has no effect anymore.

Is there any way to switch back to the original Composite Clipper?
There was until the last build. But why do you want to switch back?
I tested both of them with Final peak remover in "Difference" mode long time ago. I experienced more and louder spikes with Leif's mode than the origial one (both in maximum strength - 18 at Leif's and 20 at the original), so I moved back.

Since we have powerful processors with huge headroom nowadays, even in "Limitless, follow preset" mode at maximum quality, in my opinion it is not the case to save on Composite Clipper anymore.

I hope there is a way to use the original Composite Clipper in the future again :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 am 
Site Admin

BETA040 is posted. With a new setting that affects the highs, both in level and in IMD.

There are now 2 new settings under Bass/Highs Gap protection:
  • Pre Filter - that's what I made a few days ago. It helps very slightly, at the cost of reducing the bass slightly. (This one was there in BETA037 as well).
  • Highs clipping mode. That's this new highs thing. 0 is off (same as before); 2 is full strength, 1 is a bit more conservative, which might be good or bad for IMD, I don't know yet, to be tested. As a side effect this filter raises the level of the highs, but not above the input level. So it might sound a bit brighter, at minimal costs to other frequencies, as far as I have seen.
These new filters don't fully fix the problem but they clearly reduce it quite a bit.

Please let me know what you hear when you play with the "Highs clipping mode" slider.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:15 am 

Quote:
BETA040 is posted. With a new setting that affects the highs, both in level and in IMD.

There are now 2 new settings under Bass/Highs Gap protection:
  • Pre Filter - that's what I made a few days ago. It helps very slightly, at the cost of reducing the bass slightly. (This one was there in BETA037 as well).
  • Highs clipping mode. That's this new highs thing. 0 is off (same as before); 2 is full strength, 1 is a bit more conservative, which might be good or bad for IMD, I don't know yet, to be tested. As a side effect this filter raises the level of the highs, but not above the input level. So it might sound a bit brighter, at minimal costs to other frequencies, as far as I have seen.
These new filters don't fully fix the problem but they clearly reduce it quite a bit.

Please let me know what you hear when you play with the "Highs clipping mode" slider.
for me:
- 'pre-filter strenght' better not enabled;
- Highs clipping mode' better at 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am 
Site Admin

BETA044 is posted!

The new clipper is nearly finished. There are lots of changes (see the opening post); one that has a settings change: There are now 3 modes for the Legacy switch:
  • Legacy, that's the old Legacy from hell mode
  • New, that's the old NON-Legacy from hell mode
  • Improved legacy mode: This one has many of the fixes in New mode, but not the ones that change the sound too much which might "break" existing presets. This is the mode in which the software opens.

Remaining issues:
  • Advanced Clipper: Can we remove Pre-clip? Is Pre Filter strong enough to fully replace it? (Pre filter reduces the bass much less, and has most - but not all - of the highs protection).
  • Advanced Clipper: Bass/hole punch protection: Method: Do we need to keep "Legacy" mode here? This sounds the same as version 7.84, with a sudden steep drop around 5000 Hz. It does have a very specific sound. But is that in any way better than the non-Legacy modes? If not, we can remove this setting.

(@goldfinger: What did you hear in Pre filter?)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:33 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
  • Advanced Clipper: Bass/hole punch protection: Method: Do we need to keep "Legacy" mode here? This sounds the same as version 7.84, with a sudden steep drop around 5000 Hz. It does have a very specific sound. But is that in any way better than the non-Legacy modes? If not, we can remove this setting.
Whoa. At 75 us pre-emphasis it sounds utterly broken. Confirmed by multiple people that it sounds bad, so I'm killing this one.

Edit: Pre-clip is a LOT stronger than Pre limit. I'm going to try if I can reduce the effect that it has on the bass...

Edit: Made it slightly better, in all non-legacy modes - mids and bass are reduced less but the highs aren't changed much. That should finalize my clipper work.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:11 am 
Site Admin

BETA045 is posted.

Two small behavior changes:
"Pre-clip" is made slightly less strong; it hardly changes the highs but does reduce the amount of bass/mids reduction.
"Sparkling highs" slope is slightly improved (smoother); range reduced because even 2 seems to be doing more than enough, and higher values make the sound "grainy".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:00 pm 

Quote:
BETA045 is posted.

"Pre-clip" is made slightly less strong; it hardly changes the highs but does reduce the amount of bass/mids reduction.
"Sparkling highs" slope is slightly improved (smoother); range reduced because even 2 seems to be doing more than enough, and higher values make the sound "grainy".
also installed and listened to the updated Adaptive Bass Monster presets. In the Dense one the attack and release times are now very good. Congratulations.
Just a curiosity: in the updated presets, the pre amplifier value of both is now at +20 (before in the Open version it was at +10). Is this value adequate for an average input audio at 0dB or at -23LUFS (broadcast standard)?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
BETA045 is posted.

also installed and listened to the updated Adaptive Bass Monster presets. In the Dense one the attack and release times are now very good. Congratulations.
Just a curiosity: in the updated presets, the pre amplifier value of both is now at +20 (before in the Open version it was at +10). Is this value adequate for an average input audio at 0dB or at -23LUFS (broadcast standard)?
Oh, I didn't even realize that I changed that!

If your input level is already consistent, just make sure that the multiband can reach the top so it's not doing something all the time. That will make things sound more natural.
If your input level is all over the place, then do make sure that it's always working.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:27 pm 

Quote:
If your input level is already consistent, just make sure that the multiband can reach the top so it's not doing something all the time. That will make things sound more natural.
If your input level is all over the place, then do make sure that it's always working.
Thanks @hvz but I didn't understand!
Without wasting your time in explanations that I wouldn't understand not being an expert, one question: we use the DSP (not sound card) from MB Studio. Is it correct to adjust the pre amplifier so that the 6 bars of the Multiband operate between -12 and -18?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:31 am 

Something is borken from BETA042 to BETA046 (tested with Standalone 64bit WIN10). The Clipper is much more active than it should, and missing all the sounds under 80Hz.

At "Intermodulation distortion protection" page set the "Fully clip bass from 0 Hz up to" to 0, the bass is partially appearing, but the agressive clipping is still there.

Set the "No more bass clipping above" to 0, all the bass is back, and the clipper also working as it should.

BETA041 was the last non affected version.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next