All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:31 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Well I didn't say it's not needed, I said it *shouldn't* be needed. Even with the worst, 15 euro battery powered transmitter that I have ever seen, which drifted over the frequency band as the battery started to run out, the current calibration can make it nearly completely flat. Since you can only setup something like this if you have a modulation meter (and even with one it's really difficult to do it, especially to get the phases right), I think it's very rare that people would have a transmitter that's worse than the one I just mentioned, but they do have a modulation meter and the knowledge to configure it properly.

So what is it that you cannot do with the current calibration? I kept it in because the code exists (I wrote it at the time because that horrible transmitter was the only thing that I had), and if someone really needs it it's at least still there. But given how bad that transmitter was (phase effects of more than 90 degrees, some frequencies in the middle of the range needed to be reduced by more than 9 dB while others needed to be boosted), I don't know what more could ever be needed.

A real square wave will constantly show massive overshoots, so we used a smoothed square wave. It's difficult to properly generate a square wave at higher frequencies with this smoothing. And since the main goal is to find tilt, it's not really needed on higher frequencies either.
Hi Hans,

I agree with a lot of Bojcha's point, I'm not saying that the current calibration isn't good, but with Leif's method in BAO it's really child's play, with the "QUICK SWEEP" and "COMBO" tests in 30 seconds you have calibrated everything on your transmitter, with "COMBO PHASE" you adjust if there are phase problems, the "PEQ" helps and facilitates the work of correcting the frequency response.

Best regards
With any somewhat decent transmitter I can do it in Stereo Tool in less than 30 seconds. This extreme setup is only there for transmitters that are completely horrible and need all kinds of weird bumps and gaps in the spectrum. I guess a PEQ might be easier if you know where the spike is, but how do you correct phase??
Hi Hans,

I probably didn't express myself correctly, the tests I mentioned were to linearize the sound card, then if the transmitter had problems, this is not the case with me and with many other broadcasters who use "professional" equipment, certainly a BAO style "PEQ" It would help, I repeat, these are tips.

as for the phase, I have never needed to touch it up.

best

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:58 pm 

Quote:
One question: in 9.92 it was possible to assign a custom Window Title to the running instance, and because I am running two, it was a handy feature. Has that been taken away? Thank you!
Nope. This is in Application Settings > Preferences > Title Bar Info.

Don't forget you can expand the > icons

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:52 am 

Ah, I've been behind the curve and posting to the old beta thread. I'm testing 10.11 Linux standalone JACK.

Under Application settings I find: Password protection, License, Resource usage, Scheduler. No find Preferences, and no find Title Bar Info.

For editing the Frequencies of the Multiband Compressors, I am new to the new GUI and have not been following the threads. I just installed the new version yesterday. So I'm catching up. The ">" does bring me to Band Frequencies, and I can drag the sliders around, but the "Type a value" function does not work. It opens the field, and the existing value is highlighted, but I cannot edit the value. Backspacing, overtyping, nothing changes the text value. I am using Ubuntu Studio 22.04, running headless and administering remotely via VNC Connect. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:12 am 

Quote:
Under Application settings I find: Password protection, License, Resource usage, Scheduler. No find Preferences, and no find Title Bar Info.
It's in the main pane, not the left pane:
Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-10-18 201037.png
Screenshot 2023-10-18 201037.png [ 193.71 KiB | Viewed 11506 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:24 am 

Ugh. I am not as observant as I wish I was. Yes yes yes, there it is. I will be more careful to pay attention. I apologize for wasting bandwidth here.

Likewise, after poking at it a bit, I was able to edit the Frequency Band settings. I don't know why they didn't allow changes before, but my money is on user error.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:38 am 
Site Admin

Continuing here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33719 (10.12 BETA001, new compressor updates)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15