All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 615 Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:06 pm 

Quote:
Suggestion:

I think Stereo Tool needs something like the aggressive unprocessor in the Undo section in the Omnia.9 except smarter. DeClipper helps a ton in distortion removal, but I’ve noticed Undo / Aggressive unprocessing in the 9 allows for the processing to work more flawlessly between the decades and genres. In my testing in Stereo Tool, older content is generally more open and less loud, and modern content is usually louder and sounds thicker, due to the way most of todays stuff is mastered. Heck, todays music is so overcompressed, you could put it on the air without needing any processing and it would probably be just fine. An aggressive unprocessor would remove most of the thick compression that plagues modern music, restore even more dynamics and allow for more aggressive processing after it, and when it comes out at the end of the processor, it’ll sound better than it did when it came in. And you wouldn’t have to worry about modern music sounding overly compressed, when older music sounds just fine.

It’s sad that any processor would ever need “aggressive unprocessing,” but you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do in order to make things sound as best as possible. And the 9 sounds killer, (at least, in my opinion) on everything.

I think adding Aggressive Unprocessing would be good for people who just use DeClipper in front of older processors as well, like I did before I went ahead and bought an ST FM license and put ST on the air. When I had my Omnia.FM Hot, DeClipper took almost all of the distortion and “grit” away from modern content, but modern content sounded overly compressed. Just without the extreme amounts of distortion that would’ve been present without Declipper.
The combination of DeClipper and Natural Dynamics is kinda the same as Undo. In theory.. They are different for sure as they come from different minds, but the idea is the same. This is just my understanding, however. I don't have any real hands-on experience with the Omnia.9 other than drooling over it at a couple of places I've been.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:42 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Suggestion:

I think Stereo Tool needs something like the aggressive unprocessor in the Undo section in the Omnia.9 except smarter. DeClipper helps a ton in distortion removal, but I’ve noticed Undo / Aggressive unprocessing in the 9 allows for the processing to work more flawlessly between the decades and genres. In my testing in Stereo Tool, older content is generally more open and less loud, and modern content is usually louder and sounds thicker, due to the way most of todays stuff is mastered. Heck, todays music is so overcompressed, you could put it on the air without needing any processing and it would probably be just fine. An aggressive unprocessor would remove most of the thick compression that plagues modern music, restore even more dynamics and allow for more aggressive processing after it, and when it comes out at the end of the processor, it’ll sound better than it did when it came in. And you wouldn’t have to worry about modern music sounding overly compressed, when older music sounds just fine.

It’s sad that any processor would ever need “aggressive unprocessing,” but you’ve got to do what you’ve got to do in order to make things sound as best as possible. And the 9 sounds killer, (at least, in my opinion) on everything.

I think adding Aggressive Unprocessing would be good for people who just use DeClipper in front of older processors as well, like I did before I went ahead and bought an ST FM license and put ST on the air. When I had my Omnia.FM Hot, DeClipper took almost all of the distortion and “grit” away from modern content, but modern content sounded overly compressed. Just without the extreme amounts of distortion that would’ve been present without Declipper.
The combination of DeClipper and Natural Dynamics is kinda the same as Undo. In theory.. They are different for sure as they come from different minds, but the idea is the same. This is just my understanding, however. I don't have any real hands-on experience with the Omnia.9 other than drooling over it at a couple of places I've been.
I think Natural Dynamics is just a filter that adds dynamics to music that needs it to *attempt* to keep things consistent. Whereas, the 9 is actually undoing the compression. I could be wrong though, as well. I’ve used the Undo VST plugin, and when you listen to that output the audio sounds very raw, no matter what is playing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:45 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Suggestion:

To me, the expander in the 9 sounds somewhat "plastic"/fake. Natural Dynamics sounds more natural, but it does too much on already dynamic content.

But for the issue that you described, have you tried the new compressor? That fixes this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:10 pm 

Hi,
I'm in µMPX Decoder 4.2.010.11 BETA0
When start web interface I see correctly the port number
Attachment:
mpx1.png
mpx1.png [ 68.51 KiB | Viewed 6453 times ]
But if I go the another Tab and come back, Port number is not displayed correctly
Attachment:
mpx2.png
mpx2.png [ 74.36 KiB | Viewed 6453 times ]
Possible to correct this ?
Thanks
Stef

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:36 am 

Responding to the excellent previous comments-

1. Audio Processing (especially for broadcast) is a small business niche. Unless I am mistaken Hans van Zutphen and Leif Claesson have interacted with Telos Systems on products. There may be licensing, shared intellectual property and gentleman's agreements. Hans and Leif offer their own products at a different price point, with different levels of flexibility and adjustments. I am happy to personally purchase products from Hans and Leif, and also to adjust the other products owned by my employer.

2. My view is nearly all the top processing designers know what their contemporaries are doing (maybe not at the code level, but at the intent and process level). Thus, whether they do something in their product may not be a question of knowledge or ability, but rather a question of what they want to do, or what they must do for business, legal or patent protection reasons.

3. Changes in source material are well known. For many decades, source material has changed and we adapt. Regarding the processing on much of today's current source content-- Wheatstone has addressed it, and Angry Audio Chameleon alludes to it too. Everybody knows, they are just determining how they will address it.

Notably in the US the regulatory FM pre-emphasis curve was not slowly reduced over a period of years, despite the fact it was obvious by 1970 that spectral balance of source content had more high frequency level than the early days, and was exceeding the inverted pre-emphasis curve. Just a 3 dB reduction every 5 years would have worked, and by now we would not have pre-emphasis. For years, many processing adjusters have been effectively applying high frequency pre-emphasis dynamically anyway.

4. The overused nearly cliche term Artificial Intelligence could describe new audio processors that can learn, identify and recall the specific content they are processing, and act according to how the user desires for that specific content.

It's a great time for audio. Especially since all but the smallest radio stations are now OK with time delay. This gives the processor time to think about things before they are heard by the audience. It also gives manufacturers a new market for low latency monitoring processors, sometimes called "fake air".

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:01 pm 

I'd like to chime in and say I agree with the points being made. With the many audio processors available, there are differing features, but so far not all of the best features that us engineers require (or desire) are available in one solution. Stacking multiple boxes in order to achieve the best sound should be a thing of the past..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:30 pm 

Are any of you using the Linux cmd standaalone version and able to access presets on the web interface?
They won't show on my iPhone, which is odd. I'm blind, and using a screen reader and they won't show for that either--and I took image recognition/OCR to a screenshot and nothing about "presets". Everything else works.
Here is the link to the version I'm using. Below that is a Dropbox link to the screenshot, since it's too big for this attachment system which only allows 256 KB or below.
https://download.thimeo.com/stereo_tool_64_BETA1011-001

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/tq2uu329 ... fem2z&dl=0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:12 pm 

Quote:
I'd like to chime in and say I agree with the points being made. With the many audio processors available, there are differing features, but so far not all of the best features that us engineers require (or desire) are available in one solution. Stacking multiple boxes in order to achieve the best sound should be a thing of the past..
I 100% agree with you.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:23 pm 

Is there any plan to add Streaming Output to the VST version?

Or a Streaming Output to the Micro MPX version will also work?

More info from my other post : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=33645

Please consider this and let me know if it's possible. At least the streaming in VST, it is available in regular and DSP versions.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:27 pm 

Someone to tell me where is the Ratio sliders on multiband 1 Digital one?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 615 Next