All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1204 205 206 207 208213 Next
 Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 6.10
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:33 am 
Site Admin

BETA128:
- Added a lot of user presets in the Webradio section.
- Fixed low latency robot like effect problem in phase rotation.

Winamp DSP plugin: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 20-128.exe
Stand alone version: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 20-128.exe
VST version: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 20-128.dll
VST version (No SSE2): http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 20-128.dll
Command line version: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 20-128.exe
Linux command line version: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... ETA620-128 NOT AVAILABLE
Linux GUI version: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... ETA620-128 NOT AVAILABLE

TODO:
- Fix loading changed multiband frequencies
- Add buffer and filter for SCA output (SCA1 ok, SCA2 ok)
- Finish AGC improvement - make mono value configurable (replace checkbox by slider) 1 hour --> NO, not needed - anything else needed? -> NO
- Fix Punch
- Check what to do with new filters (such as bass AGC) - keep them, remove them, change them? --> KEEP
- Save new BASS_AGC setting in VST mode
- Loudness: Annoying cracking sound in bass. Slightly present in 5.00, worse in 6.00, maybe even worse in 6.10. Only when bass is too loud. Much worse than in Final Limiter (at same input level!) - so this clearly indicates a bug. Most likely cause: The filter that was added to remove bass artifacts....... :shock: - No, it's the louder bass. But it can be fixed by changing some settings. Default settings updated, and behavior for 'not Very strict' improved. Also Deep bass boost and Very deep bass protection are enabled for latency 512 now.
- Fix crash at program close
- Fix VST plugin version (does not run)
- Dynamically drop 'Allow louder highs, even if it causes vibrations' to 0 when bass filter suspects noticeable voice vibrations.
- Reduce Loudness CPU load
- Check and remove static variables
- Finish new de-essing filter (check what to do with the settings, remove at least some!)
- Convert Multiband input to MONO, then use arrays [2][4096] --> should give speedup. - FAILED
- Natural Dynamics: Fix or remove transient boost
- Natural Dynamics: Add expected + strength slider per band
- Finish declipping filter (clipping level detection + level reduction in dB). 1. Figure out why removal of unwanted frequencies causes flat lines at high quality setting with small overlap. This causes distortion, with this fixed repairs are MUCH better. 2. Fix MP3 correction, automatically scale down when this deteriorates the sound. --> TOP part fails!
- Declipping filter: Fix low latency behavior
- Always oversample clipping (configurable)
- Declipping filter: Change detection at lower input levels.
- "Test Right Channel" in "FM Transmitter Calibration" does not work since v6.10 (standalone) (bojcha)
- Declipper window close function - check! - Seems ok
- Scopes black background?
- Add AGC start level
- Declipping filter: Add comparting of sample history to make sure loud bursts are still detected properly (now, with 16 blocks of history, 65 samples are removed even when ignoring just 0.1%). I should also check the current block (probably with a margin of a factor 2).
- Declipping filter: Use reliability of tilt detection to determine movement speed; slowly move to default tilt (configurable!)
- Declipping filter: Far too many samples are marked as 'maybe/probably' clipped. Histogram not used or not cleared?
- Declipping filter: Optimize tilt detection for performance. SSE2 for maximum. And keep separate smaller histograms to determine the maximum (should perform much better).
- Declipping filter: Cleaned histogram must be mirrorred. After cleanup, mirror center is place where SIGMA above == SIGMA below! Only use on the lower end. Then run cleanup again! The result should contain approximately the same amount of data above and below. If not, that indicates incorrect detection.
- Declipping filter: Add a long term histogram, and use maximum of short term and long term start clipping level detection.
- Declipping filter: Check if 'No declipping when tilt cannot be determined' can safely be turned on.
- Declipping filter: Add setting and saving of new sliders (history size, percentage of highest samples to drop, tilt detection range start, end and precision)
- Declipping filter: Check why higher Quality settings causes cracking sounds. Answer: Rounding error, and too low filtering values to remove it.
- Move pre-emphasis to end of processing
- AGC: Separate 'Remove remaining peaks' settings for band 1 and 2
- Channels L/R swap in stand alone version when changing filtering/quality (eldoradofm)
- Declipping filter: Optimize peak matching for performance: Move determination to extra preprocessing step DONE; try to change if statements to min/max or something IMPOSSIBLE.
- Fix changing value of 'final limit' in Multiband when changing Loudness settings.
- Save bandpass filter order
- Save all new settings, also through VST interface
- Declipping filter: Change default values for Maximum distortion and Step size (see Bojcha's post)
- Try to improve reconstruction match (should remove artifacts for low bass + soft highs) ■ FAILED
- Declipper: Fix loud bass with soft higher frequencies issue. Do something with loudest frequency vs. peak level - if it cannot fit (Madonna, Metallica) there must be clipping, otherwise there might not be. On top of this I should somehow try to preserve deformed bass sounds (if they are not hard clipped). Maybe this will work: Find loudest frequency, if it's very low. Than assume that it's clipped at the maximum restoration level (?); generate a new tone (using lowpass filter) of the same frequency and clip that at some margin below the maximum peak level. Then filter the input signal based on the FFT of the clipped signal. Finally analyze this new signal; if it is indeed clipped the filtered output will resemble a clipped waveform (visible in sample histogram; no tilt issues!) instead of a sine wave. Use the output of this as input to determine how strict the clipping detection for the input waveform should be (eg. based on normal or sinusoid signals). This is all way too difficult and it just won't work. Here's the real solution: Detect if a loud bass sound is present, if so make sure that symmetrical clipping detection is used, possibly with automatic 'maybe clipped' level adjustment. This should only slightly affect Metallica (which still sounds very reasonable with symmetrical enabled), but has a big effect on DBN - Jack is Back (which is far less affected with symmetrical enabled; auto likely/maybe adjustment based on symmetrical should help even more). Using veil solution now
- Move veil processing to detilted signal
- Switch to symmetrical detection if very loud very low frequencies are present NO, not needed anymore because artifacts are fixed using another mechanism
- Fix veil and detilting display (in declipper window; separate windows for separate channels; no change in DrawWave code needed!)
- Fix declipper display cleanup
- If the reconstructed samples are close to the original samples, and there are a lot of 'clipped' samples OR there are very loud low frequencies present, don't declip. Also add texture based filtering, and use a slider to set the sensitivity. Also increase the effect of bass and reduce overall level.
- Save veil settings and 'not reconstruct if like original' (STS + VST)
- Fix clipper (idea: Clip, filter, filter diff against clip diff, apply).
- Can I combine 2 FFT windows into 1? That would give half of the improvement of the smooth window, without CPU load increase.
- Old clipper seems to sound better. (New with less steps also sounds good). Use new clipper AFTER old clipper, and use already clipped and cleaned signal as 'clean_input'. Or try a bunch of short clips, than a long one to clean up, then some short (but not very short) ones to clean up pre/post ringing.
- Declipper EXTREMELY slow when feeding DC input.
- Big window output is smaller than normal one - no it's not.
- Bass AGC RMS display does not work (always displays 0.00)
- Longer history for maximum level?
- In FM calibration 38 kHz is NOT working. EDIT: And more bugs: 23 kHz is not at 23 kHz 28 kHz is not at 28 kHz 33 kHz is not at 33 kHz 43 kHz is not at 43 kHz 48 kHz is not at 48 kHz 53 kHz is not at 53 kHz. - not true, tested and all seems to work fine. There is another issue though: This filter still uses the very old windowing method and sounds crappy (artifacts). To be looked into for the next Stereo Tool version.
- Remove Natural Dynamics - Partially done, does the crash come from here? No, for some reason ANY call on my system to InternetOpenUrl in a Winamp plugin causes crashes. But this happens even with version 3.03, so it's not something new - it's only something new on my system...
- When "Enable FM transmitter calibration" is OFF and you click "Calibrate FM transmitter ..." and then close calibration screen again, then "Enable FM transmitter calibration" is turned ON automatically.
- Use DLL name in INI file name (requested by Jazler)
- Add registration to command line versions
- AGC: Added 'Force level below' slider for improved peak control. If the 'down speed' causes the volume to be much higher than the calculated 'target' volume, with this slider you can force the volume to go down anyway if the difference gets too big.
- Registration key must be written to DEFAULT ini file. And for stand alone version, ini file StereoTool.ini should automatically be converted to stereo_tool.ini to match existing ini files.
- FM Calibration beep tones are still not corrected.
- Stand alone: Check box to FM Calibration on/off missing in the FM transmitter calibration window.
- Declipper artifacts ( viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3065&p=12527#p12527 ): Adjust defaults or increase bass sensitivity. - No, replaced MORE switch by slider.
- Add extra bass clipping step to clipper.
- Fix Loudness display
- Smarter lows volume drop against highs protection: First clip using reduced highs (highs protection filter), then do it again but do NOT lower the lows below the level found in the 1st step. - NO! No longer needed.
- VST: Bass AGC up/down speeds setting problem.
- Optimize clipper code: Reflection, smaller overlap (stronger reflection possible?); optimize RMS search filter; optimize voice vibration removal
- HPF bad since BETA080, especially with declipper enabled
- Highs vs bass distortion protection: Fix window edges.
- Add highs distortion sensitivity slider(s)?
- AGC hangups
- DC caused by clipper
- Fix pre-ringing artifacts
- Checkbox to combine bands 1+2 of Multiband
- Phase linear highpass filter if non-phase-linear is selected to avoid DC offset.
- Non phase linear highpass filter: Make steeper
- Strict bass clipping
- Channel swap in normal output: ASIO enabled and Use multiple CPU cores enabled - see viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3065&start=1861
- RDS: Filter out trailing spaces in word wrap mode
- Protection for vocals (Dutch pirate music)
- Remove or simplify 'Advanced highs protection', look at other protection mechanisms. Use smaller measurement intervals - allows lower 'maximum drop' values (hence has less impact on 'good' highs) and will catch more problematic transients. Add masking to ignore very brief drops.
- Save new clipper, bandpass, multiband options (STS+VST)
- Extra HPF step either just before Singleband or - if that's not used - after the bass protections for Loudness. Maybe also for phase linear HPF!
- SSE version crashes (reported in email by Francis)
- Robot effect when changing to lower latency. Caused by Phase Rotation at lower Quality settings.
- Finish blind interface WAITING FOR FEEDBACK TODO: TEST: Only display this window when needed.
- RDS issue reported here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3703&p=11524#p11524 partially solved
- Check performance, especially of Multiband.
- Update presets? (BASS_AGC etc.) 1 day BUSY
- Save Declipper view settings.
- Add Declipper display in main window
- Change version number 1 hour
- Release 1 hour
- Add composite clipper
- Hiss in low latency output from high frequency content due to no lowpass filter - NOT NEW, and will be solved by redesign anyway.
- Add lowpass filter for stereo signal (will cause a lot of extra latency!) - it might be possible to avoid this latency using a Hilbert transform
- Add smarter clipping detection. Maybe something much simpler suffices: Current clipping detection with threshold + flat line detection
- Declipping filter: Automatically override the 3 clipping level sliders if the clipping level is detected very clearly (clear thin spike in sample value histogram). - NONSENSE, this is already done by the histogram function. But it can be made a BIT better - I think - by automatically LOWERING the 'always clipped' slider if a lot of data is present at the highest few bins (but care is needed for DBN - Jack is Back like tracks)
- Declipping filter: Create a new histogram after declipping, clean up and subtract from original.
- Change stand alone version to 32 bits.
- Optimization: Reduce CPU usage when input is silence.
- Natural Dynamics: Attempt to reduce number of bands by 2 (memory + cpu DIV 2), using bands with sloppy slopes (no interaction between bands -> memory usage DIV 2, out-of-cache reads gone, hopefull final filter gone too -> CPU DIV 2 again).
- Natural Dynamics: Voices, especially in chorus, still sound weird.
- Natural Dynamics: Smooth out different bands more to reduce low-bitrate-MP3-like sounds.
- Natural Dynamics: Optimize situation with no interaction between bands for performance.
- Natural Dynamics: Save settings in VST version
- AGC: Sudden loud kicks (32:40) - much faster drop! IDEA: IGNORE FAST 2ND STAGE DROP IF THE EFFECT IS LOW.
- AGC: Try frequency separator implementation (2 or 3 different volume measurements, take lowest). Should protect loud voices much better.
- FM Calibration causes artifacts and latency.

- Highpass before Multiband etc? Not for now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 am 

Quote:
BETA128:
Thanks for adding me in there...and I still have a tweak or two that I haven't posted...

...but...

Loop unrolling disabled version :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:37 pm 

Hmm, BETA128 doesn't work.. audio is not inputting or outputting, and it hangs when you exit..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:40 pm 

BETA128 standalone works here.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:42 pm 

Ah yes, i am at RC5 version.
Two presets i like are from Brian and from gpagliaroli. GAP preset especially because unique bass/kick. But there is almost no protection. So track like Kelly Rowland - Stole will drill holes into mids and highs. I recommend to set "always clip bass" to" about 0.6, sensitivity to 1.50 and "Do not reduce" to 70%.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:22 pm 

Quote:
BETA128:
Thanks Hans, a pleasure to be among the preset for version 6.20 !!! :geek:

Quote:
Two presets i like are from Brian and from gpagliaroli. GAP preset especially because unique bass/kick. But there is almost no protection. So track like Kelly Rowland - Stole will drill holes into mids and highs. I recommend to set "always clip bass" to" about 0.6, sensitivity to 1.50 and "Do not reduce" to 70%.
Thanks for mentioning my preset.
I will review the protections, especially with the track you comment. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:48 pm 

Quote:
Ah yes, i am at RC5 version.
Well, you probably would like the preset from me, since it is a derivative from your b-town_web. :lol:

I took that and worked with the idea of expanding the dynamic range, lowering the RMS some, and adding more sustain to the bass for RnB / Hip Hop (along with other emphasis on percussion).

BTW, you should try some sort of orchestral music for highs. The only thing I have access to at the moment is some tracks from The Matrix Reloaded / Revolutions OST. Mona Lisa Overdrive has a lot of varied sounds to it...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:20 pm 

Wow. My preset Lucidity FX is there to. :P Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Loop unrolling disabled version :?:
http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... Unroll.dll
Oops - I had built it but forgot to upload it :-(

I'll also run some tests with it now.

Edit: Ran some tests. On my end the difference is less than 1% (the version without unrolling appears to be VERY slightly slower).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:01 pm 

Quote:
Edit: Ran some tests. On my end the difference is less than 1% (the version without unrolling appears to be VERY slightly slower).
Same here on my AMD (1MB). I won't be able to test my P4 (512K) until sometime tomorrow.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2125 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1204 205 206 207 208213 Next