All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:30 pm 

Soundprocessing Freakday - NL

Tweaking MIX:
http://www.processingfreakday.com/audio_en.php

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:10 pm 

Now MIX 2 is also ready for download.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:25 pm 

I don't understand something with this two mixes they have.

1st one, There is few tracks with already artifacts and distortion in master - so what's the point with those track and does processing should fix that or what <?>

2nd - Much of audio are already processed and not just little.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm 

This is what they say about the mix:

This mix contains several musical formats. The average of the formats is the AC format. Next to that, the mix contains several "real live" on air "problems"... the songs are data-compressed in a wide variety (mp3 - .flac - .wav), the songs are from very different recording quality and above that the mix contains songs that are nearly to very heavily studio-mastered! We think the mix is a good representative of the average "real live" radio!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

This was a very interesting meeting.

(I didn't take notes, hope I have all the names correctly...)

There were lots of demo's. Due to the really bad accoustics in the room where the demos were played, it's not easy to comment on the quality. What I noticed is:

- Vorsis: Lots of 'gain riding': If a softer track started (in the processing freakday audio sets mentioned above) the volume noticeably went up for a few seconds.

- Orban: They just compared 2 different devices (8500 and 8600 if I recall correctly). Yes, there was some difference between those two. :?: :roll:

- Omnia: Something similar, the 6 and the 11. 6 sounded a lot worse, 11 has far more bass and a much cleaner output signal (when viewing the spectrum).

- Leif: That was the big surprise of the day. Leif announced his new box: The Omnia 9 (!). And compared to Breakaway, the difference is huge. (So is the prices, 9995 euro). Apparently the difference is mainly caused by his 'Undo' filter that RESTORES clipped peaks in the input signal, something I've been looking into some time ago but I never finished it (and I REALLY never expected the effect the be this HUGE). (Leif licensed the 'DeClipper' program). Ow, and he won an Emmy award.

I haven't been able to present Stereo Tool unfortunately, because I decided to go to the Freakday only last Friday - there was no room left in the schedule. But the recordings of all the different processors will be placed online, and I'll upload mine as well.

Lots of people came walked by my 'table', including forum user 'eldoradofm', and Leif Claesson (who said that he was very impressed by the clippers).

Based on what I heard today, the most important thing I heard today is the huge effect of the clipping removal filter. So that's now going to the top of my list of 'wanted features'.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:53 pm 

Cool Hans, seems I missed some stuff and didn't miss most of it.
You need to listen in an environment that you know otherwise it is just guessing and having an objective opinion often biased by whom presents the machine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:58 pm 

You mean "Vorsis"
Quote:
Lots of people came walked by my 'table', including forum user 'eldoradofm', and Leif Claesson (who said that he was very impressed by the clippers).
MB clippers, Bass Clippers .. or ??
Quote:
Based on what I heard today, the most important thing I heard today is the huge effect of the clipping removal filter. So that's now going to the top of my list of 'wanted features'.
Once i tryed "DeClipp" and it performed very good. All was impressed by that software. Seem it's really usefull "todays", because more and more Clipped master tracks are nowdays.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:08 pm 

Quote:
(Leif licensed the 'DeClipper' program)
Did he pay for my patented invention?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

@Bojcha: Woops, fixed :-)
@Luke: Besides from that, 2 small speakers in a room with more than 100 people in it who are not really quiet just doesn't work. (Apparently - according to one of the organizers that I talked to - the location where they held their meeting had promised much bigger and more powerful speakers).

In A/B comparisons the effect was clear - but the different processors were all about 45 minutes apart, with breaks in between (due to which you were in a different place in the room each time). The A/B comparisons were only between successors of the same brand.

@Luke: ??? (Previous post?)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:38 pm 

Quote:
Once i tryed "DeClipp" and it performed very good. All was impressed by that software. Seem it's really usefull "todays",...
Bojcha, please less cryptic !
What is the exact name of the program/plugin and the company you are talking about ?
Links ?

Feeding google with "DeClipp" does not help.