All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 822 Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:19 pm 

Hello,

I want to ask something, because i`m trying to figure out something.
I see that RDS scrolling speed can be adjusted with multiple < signs or with "2t" "3t" in front.
But what the problem is:
1. I see radio station that text is scroling fast, but is scrolling in every "character". I have the feeling that time is like 0.5s or less...
2. In my situation, if i increase the scrolling by << or 2t or 3t in front, then text starts to scroll in two characters . I mean if you watch a "letter" it jumps in "two characters".

I have a tuner that is sensitive to this and if i make << signs, it stuck and shows only scrolling parts of the text, it`s not the all text. Sometimes the start of it, sometimes the end of it..

The thing is: On the station that i was talking about it was same speed like mine, but text is on every character, just switches faster, no " letter is jumping two characters" effect and the tuner is showing it just perfect without stucking.

I wonder what is the difference.
I see some calculation of 0.72 seconds in th RDS section. May be that time can be adjusted in that station(let`s say half the time - 0.36s) and old Sony tuner has no problem with this, scrolling just superb.
I`m talking for a Sony tuner (ST-Sxxx series), not a "hand made one", it`s a proffesional tuner.

But in ST, scrolling is made in some different way so text jumps one character more.
Is there a way to "tell" ST to scroll on every character but with faster speed like tha station i found.

Just to mention, new tuners(all of them) don`t have problem with << option on scrolling, they showing just perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

< = scroll by 1 character
<< = scroll by 2 characters

1t: Transmit each text once beforing scrolling more
2t: Twice
3t: Three times, etc

Using 1t often won't work on receivers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi,

i have noticed that if i use the micrompx embedded encoder of ST for FM usage, and turn off the FM output, the normal output (i use it for internet stream) is with preemphasis. Any ideas how to stream the processed signal normally?

thank you
Hm, if that's the case it's a bug. Are you using the latest version? You can try this: Go to FM Transmitter, make sure you're in Extreme Tweaker mode, and enable the "Always generate MPX" checkbox on the top right. I'll look into this next year...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:46 pm 

Quote:
< = scroll by 1 character
<< = scroll by 2 characters

1t: Transmit each text once beforing scrolling more
2t: Twice
3t: Three times, etc

Using 1t often won't work on receivers.
Yeah, but the thing is why that station was scrolling by 1 character, but with faster moving of the text. Is this possible with ST ?
May be my tuner wants text to move with bigger "moving speed" or refresh speed.. i don`t know how to call it, but i`m sure that this is with those 0.72 seconds. May be tuner wants less than that and this is the upper limit that it can "see".. , sometimes it stucks even with < (one character)..
i`m telling this, because i clearly saw that text is moving with faster speed, but only 1 character

There is only one thing that i might mix. And it is that i may saw the RT text to scroll, but i think it was the PS scrolling text. That i why i`m saying i might be wrong here.

Last edited by DJ-DOGGY on Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:48 pm 
Site Admin

<1t: is the fastest scroll that's possible. It takes some time to transmit a few characters. I don't understand what you mean by those 0.72 seconds though? With 1t: it should scroll much faster than every 0.72 seconds.

Are you sure that you're not seeing a display of RT text that's scrolling?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:59 pm 

Quote:
<1t: is the fastest scroll that's possible. It takes some time to transmit a few characters. I don't understand what you mean by those 0.72 seconds though? With 1t: it should scroll much faster than every 0.72 seconds.

Are you sure that you're not seeing a display of RT text that's scrolling?

like i write already, may be it was RT text.

For that 0.72 seconds, i saw them in the RDS documentation, it was some calculation about "how much characters per second" and so on. Only mention that because i saw this number in the RDS documentation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:09 pm 

Yes, i saw 1t: is scrolling faster, but only on the ST RDS display. Tuner not showing (Sony or new).

2t: is good on new tuner, Sony still not good, stucking at least on one place of all text.
4t: is perfect on both tuners Sony and New..
3t: is again good on both tuners, no stuck on Sony.

SOoit`s clear now, that old tuner don`t want fast speed. New one can handle a bit more speed.

I now see the difference on the internal ST RDS display

Thanks Hans.

Last edited by DJ-DOGGY on Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Some receivers don't accept any text that isn't static for at least a few seconds. So, basically, scrolling *may* work but it depends completely on the receiver.

That time doesn't make a lot of sense, you can send more data if you really want to. Stereo Tool dynamically decides what to send, and a changed PS text is transmitted faster (which means that other things like RT texts are transmitted slower).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:17 pm 

Thanks Hans

I see now .. I put some info above, if you need it.
2t: for Sony is a bit fast . 3t: is superb
2t: for new tuner is no problem at all

1t: not work on both :) May be i must test it on the Phone RDS?!

Happy new year Hans!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:25 am 

Hello,

I was playing with ST and decide to Turn OFF Advanced Clipper to see what will happen to the monitoring display.

My surprise was the following: Advanced clipper cuts from the "stereo base" of all signal. Except clipping i notice losing of stereo base effect.
But... thers is a "but".. And it is that if i enable Compossite clipper in addition to the Advanced one, then the stereo base is coming back again. Yes, signal is right clipped, but only with that loosen part of "stereo base".

It`s a kind of strange for me.
I`m with old version but nothing is done with advanced clipper, so i guess on new versions is the same.
Is there logical explanation for this losing of stereo base ? Why with only one option (Advanced) it is present, but when composite is enabled, no losing of stereo base?

I can make the following opinion: The code for composite clipper is at higher level, compared to the Advanced clipper code. If anyone can confirm it, then OK. If not, i can try to record something with the two variants, one after another, so you can hear the difference.

I have one more small question: Is there any chance option "Extra Composite Clipper drive" to be made to go above that 1.58 dB. Let`s say to 3 or may be better to 6 dB. Why exactly 1.58 ? Very unusual number.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 822 Next