All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 915 Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:41 am 

It looks like this, only with VLC input:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:03 am 

Quote:

I know, yet another bass filter. Mathijs was complaining that the bass still didn't sound right. It lacked warmth. We started experimenting, and at some point his reponse was "That's it!". So, we've worked on adding that specific bass. Somehow, I've never missed it, but when I listened to it in my car, I suddenly had the feeling that I was "bathing in bass". Hence the name "Immersive Bass". Interestingly, it is less noticable on my monitor speakers in our office.

Earlier filters such as Basstardiser now sound "hollow" in comparison, and I would describe this new bass as "warm". The new "Dutch Chocolate Moose" preset is using it. Still work in progress, but it's close to Dutch Moose, with more of "that" bass.
Not sure if Immersive Bass is working as intended in 9.12 BETA014. I hear what it does (listening to it using the Dutch Moose preset) but at the same time i'm losing energy in the low end (< 120Hz). Could this be caused by phase issues in the crossover filter maybe, causing the original bass to cancel out? It's easy to hear on a pair of headphones. The (sub) low-end just disappears.

I do more or less the same kind of thing using the True bass section: I basically create heavy distortion using both bands, then add a little bit to the original signal. Warms up the low-mid very nice. I've added my True Bass settings to this post. You might want to increase the strength level a bit.

At this point I prefer the 'True Bass-way' over the Immersive Bass.

Attachments:
TrueBass_Harmonics.sts [841 Bytes]
Downloaded 200 times

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:

I know, yet another bass filter. Mathijs was complaining that the bass still didn't sound right. It lacked warmth. We started experimenting, and at some point his reponse was "That's it!". So, we've worked on adding that specific bass. Somehow, I've never missed it, but when I listened to it in my car, I suddenly had the feeling that I was "bathing in bass". Hence the name "Immersive Bass". Interestingly, it is less noticable on my monitor speakers in our office.

Earlier filters such as Basstardiser now sound "hollow" in comparison, and I would describe this new bass as "warm". The new "Dutch Chocolate Moose" preset is using it. Still work in progress, but it's close to Dutch Moose, with more of "that" bass.
Not sure if Immersive Bass is working as intended in 9.12 BETA014. I hear what it does (listening to it using the Dutch Moose preset) but at the same time i'm losing energy in the low end (< 120Hz). Could this be caused by phase issues in the crossover filter maybe, causing the original bass to cancel out? It's easy to hear on a pair of headphones. The (sub) low-end just disappears.

I do more or less the same kind of thing using the True bass section: I basically create heavy distortion using both bands, then add a little bit to the original signal. Warms up the low-mid very nice. I've added my True Bass settings to this post. You might want to increase the strength level a bit.

At this point I prefer the 'True Bass-way' over the Immersive Bass.
Immersive Bass never removes deep bass (I've just measured it to make sure, it actually even adds a bit). There are no phase issues, not in the latest few beta's anymore (there were back when it was called Bassmathijzer). But, it's at the start of the chain, so it could be that things like Auto EQ, Bass EQ, multiband compressors and the bass clipper are pushing the deep bass down more if you add more warm bass.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:06 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
It looks like this, only with VLC input:

Do you know when this started? Can you check if 9.11 was still ok for example? I don't think I've touched any code that could cause this (because it would have to be the VLC code, which I haven't changed since I made it also work with VLC3).

We first need to rule out if it's not caused by libVLC somehow. Did you update VLC recently?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:12 pm 

I have VLC 3.0.4 64bit and win10, I can try test older ST version but I must downgrade VLC to 2.2.8 for this test.

9.02 seams to be ok, few minutes and no spikes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I have VLC 3.0.4 64bit and win10, I can try test older ST version but I must downgrade VLC to 2.2.8 for this test.

I only added VLC3 support in 9.11... older versions might have worked but not for everything (not for streaming out, for example). So, was this issue there since 9.11? For clarity, I've tested it here and didn't see this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:37 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

I only added VLC3 support in 9.11... older versions might have worked but not for everything (not for streaming out, for example). So, was this issue there since 9.11? For clarity, I've tested it here and didn't see this.
9.11 also is wrong with 2.2.8.
I can't tell you nothing more, 9.02 is fine, 9.11 and above not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

9.11 also is wrong with 2.2.8.
I can't tell you nothing more, 9.02 is fine, 9.11 and above not.
Ok, that's at least logical. It's not happening here, so this probably won't be easy to fix...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:58 pm 

Attachment:
Capture2.PNG
Capture2.PNG [ 6.35 KiB | Viewed 3818 times ]
can somebody please tell me where the switch for this red "dynamic ratio" is located, just loaded preset in 9.10 and I get this, never turned anything on but I can't get it off either

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Capture2.PNG

can somebody please tell me where the switch for this red "dynamic ratio" is located, just loaded preset in 9.10 and I get this, never turned anything on but I can't get it off either
In all the compressors, there'a Ratio setting, but also a Max ratio and Max ratio at. If those are used (Max ratio at higher than Ratio), that's this feature. I don't know which of the compressors it can be, it's probably either those in MB1, MB2 or the singleband compressor at the end.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 915 Next