All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1876 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Does anyone know what might cause an audio dropout issue like this?

I've isolated the problem to Stereo Tool.

I've encountered this once before a while back. I was running 64 bit Stereo Tool via Jbridge in Foobar, and I believed I had solved it by toggling on the Jbridge setting "USE_IPC_THREAD_SAFETY" which is off by default. In that case, the dropouts were happening right at the start of any track, and stopped with that Jbridge setting toggled on (i.e., set to 1).

This cropped up again, this time at the end of a track. (3:28 track, starts at 3:03), and that Jbridge setting is definitely on. It only happened once (as far as I can tell).

Using the latest beta...

Anyone seen anything that looks like this before?

Edit - I just re-processed this track with all the same settings and the problem didn't happen. So I don't know how to reproduce it. :(
This must have something to do with either CPU load or a bug in the software that you're using (if enabling a setting in JBridge fixes it, it's most likely a problem in JBridge).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi Hans, Could I please offer a suggestion to improve communications through the beta process? I think the forum provides a good way to discuss issues and such during development. However, I think what might be missing is an organized way to present new features. When you release a new beta you put out a list of changes and planned changes and that's great. However, what I'd like to suggest is more of a blog presentation. Whenever you release a new feature, you write up a nice blog entry that tells about the feature, what it does, and some basic default recommended settings. I'm not talking about a huge document, but perhaps two or three paragraphs would be plenty. Also, if someone else helps you create a new feature, they could write up the blog entry as well.

A typical blog is also searchable so if I wanted help with an older feature, I could type it in and get right to it. You could also archive posts if a feature is discontinued or changed in a major way.

Any thoughts on this?
Great idea! Do you have a recommended blog platform? I used blogspot before, but I can't get a list of the posts that I made there, I can only link to the latest with all the older ones below it. http://thimeoaudio.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:53 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Hans, Could I please offer a suggestion to improve communications through the beta process? I think the forum provides a good way to discuss issues and such during development. However, I think what might be missing is an organized way to present new features. When you release a new beta you put out a list of changes and planned changes and that's great. However, what I'd like to suggest is more of a blog presentation. Whenever you release a new feature, you write up a nice blog entry that tells about the feature, what it does, and some basic default recommended settings. I'm not talking about a huge document, but perhaps two or three paragraphs would be plenty. Also, if someone else helps you create a new feature, they could write up the blog entry as well.

A typical blog is also searchable so if I wanted help with an older feature, I could type it in and get right to it. You could also archive posts if a feature is discontinued or changed in a major way.

Any thoughts on this?
Great idea! Do you have a recommended blog platform? I used blogspot before, but I can't get a list of the posts that I made there, I can only link to the latest with all the older ones below it. http://thimeoaudio.blogspot.com/
Can't you do it as vlogs so it's more visual on how it works and what it does?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 pm 

Quote:
I'd always recommend wordpress. Seems to have the most support and wide variety of add-ons.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 pm 

RPI3 Pixel - Jack version 64 bit not loading.

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:38 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I'd always recommend wordpress. Seems to have the most support and wide variety of add-ons.
I second Wordpress. Easy to use, good Mobile apps, lots of plugins (not that you need many for a simple blog) and good RSS support (Yes, some of use still use RSS!)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:38 pm 

It would be nice to add bs412 limiter by Leiff..
It has freezing, dynamic reaction.. It dn't affect deviation, peaks after demod and so...
Ive tested it - sound processing by StereoTool on one computer.. linked to two others as a mpx-coders... with Brekaway one and StereoTool.
All with dbr limit set to 3.0.
And the conslusion is, that Leiffs limiter dont affect audio so much as standard ST bs412 limiter.
Hans, Leiff took yours declipper to his Omnia9's undo.. So You can take his bs412 limiter to ST :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:35 pm 

Hans, I still have some problems with a certain kind of music with the new AGC. I was able to fix most of the problems I mentioned last time. It wasn't easy because the new AGC reacted completely differently, but apart from a few manageable details, it's all right now. ;) But with one style of music I found a few other conspicuous things that affect the sound. This is about piano music, which has a lot of dynamics. If there are big jumps in the music, the AGC is agitating a lot and it starts pumping. This only applies to this kind of music, however, and in all other musical styles it is not so intense. What can you do about the pumping? If I slow down the speeds, the sound is not as good as before, and then it hooks up somewhere else. The Sudden Jump Protection works, but the behaviour obviously comes mainly from the pre-AGC, which, as I wrote before, unfortunately has very few options for setting. :roll:

Edit:
Quote:
Does anyone know what might cause an audio dropout issue like this?
I would like to say a few words about that. I had a similar behavior that led to such audio fragments. The problem also occurs for unknown reasons. In Adobe Audition, it mainly occurs when I listen to several audio files in the VST preview. After about 50 files, the signal also drops. Then I have to close audition, and the behavior has disappeared again. But I did indeed have these fragments. I don't know why that happens.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hans, I still have some problems with a certain kind of music with the new AGC. I was able to fix most of the problems I mentioned last time. It wasn't easy because the new AGC reacted completely differently, but apart from a few manageable details, it's all right now. ;) But with one style of music I found a few other conspicuous things that affect the sound. This is about piano music, which has a lot of dynamics. If there are big jumps in the music, the AGC is agitating a lot and it starts pumping. This only applies to this kind of music, however, and in all other musical styles it is not so intense. What can you do about the pumping? If I slow down the speeds, the sound is not as good as before, and then it hooks up somewhere else. The Sudden Jump Protection works, but the behaviour obviously comes mainly from the pre-AGC, which, as I wrote before, unfortunately has very few options for setting. :roll:
Good news! I've spent the last few days (weeks probably, basically since the last beta) on fixing exactly that problem! Not just in the AGC, but also in the Average- and RMS-based "Analog" compressor modes, and in Auto EQ. They all had a similar problem in their design. I'm not completely finished yet but I expect a new beta with completely different behavor some time next week. For small level differences the behavior is unchanged, for big differences it's completely different.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Good news! I've spent the last few days (weeks probably, basically since the last beta) on fixing exactly that problem! Not just in the AGC, but also in the Average- and RMS-based "Analog" compressor modes, and in Auto EQ. They all had a similar problem in their design. I'm not completely finished yet but I expect a new beta with completely different behavor some time next week. For small level differences the behavior is unchanged, for big differences it's completely different.
I sure wish I could LIKE your post Hans! I appreciate your passion for great sound and I am looking forward to trying out the new beta.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1876 Next