All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3476 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:17 am 

Here's an example of how the new settings affect the spectrum.

Beta 35 vs Beta 37, all settings the same, Basstadizer at default settings on both. The gif with the arrow is Beta 37:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:24 am 

Quote:
Here's an example of how the new settings affect the spectrum.

Beta 35 vs Beta 37, all settings the same, Basstadizer at default settings on both. The gif with the arrow is Beta 37:

That's a more subtle overall effect than it sounds like to my ears. However, it's touching stuff *way* too high in the spectrum. There should be a way to LPF that output.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:34 am 

It looks subtle but it's not, that's the normalized average spectrum for a whole 6 minute track. I do a lot of comparisons and that's the biggest change I think I've ever seen, unless changing the crap out of some setting. :)

I don't think it's the Basstadizer touching the highs; I believe that's due to other changes made in Beta 37. In that spectrum .gif, there's a lot of other stuff turned on in Stereo Tool. 8-)

Last edited by All Night on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:41 am 

Quote:
I lied, I'm at -9.90dB and it's totally usable. However, if I knew what these controls did, I'm sure I could customize a lot more!
Yeah, I think you're right... -9.90 is better. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:43 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I lied, I'm at -9.90dB and it's totally usable. However, if I knew what these controls did, I'm sure I could customize a lot more!
Yeah, I think you're right... -9.90 is better. :lol:
I was able to push to -8.90 and live with it. But we really need that output LPF. For now, I'm back to Bass Boost.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:19 pm 

Almost final preset at stream in signature..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 pm 

changing settings no longer hangs in 037 only after loading beta036 in 037 declipper settings where turned off, that's VST 32 bit in Foobar

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
That's a more subtle overall effect than it sounds like to my ears. However, it's touching stuff *way* too high in the spectrum. There should be a way to LPF that output.
I'm not really sure if an LPF would fix this. But let me quickly explain what the settings do. Adding an LPF is easy enough, if still needed.

First Softness. At a low setting, bass gets turned almost into a square wave. So, harmonics are generated upto very high frequencies. The higher you set Softness, the more the harmonics are generated at lower frequencies. The total amount of harmonics stays roughly the same though.

Strength controls how much effect there is. At 100% (0 dB), the waveform really turns into a full square wave. Reduce the setting to make it have less effect.

Lowpass frequency controls the INPUT frequency that it looks at. And here's the interesting part: If you set Lowpass very low, and Softness very high, it only creates the first harmonic. So then Lowpass basically directly determines how high the generated frequencies can get.

Which probably means that there is indeed a good use for a lowpass filter at the end: With that you can use a lower Softness value to generate multiple harmonics for very low frequencies, but not for higher frequencies. So, I'll add it. Beside that, very low lowpass frequencies (for input) tend to cause artifacts that are then copied to 3 and 5 times higher frequencies, which is bad too.

==> Done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:40 pm 

This image isn't needed as a LPF is being added, but I was curious as to how the Basstadizer was currently affecting higher frequencies:

This has (among other things) True Bass turned on @ defaults and Bass EQ turned on with all 5 bands at their defaults. Looks like about 3.4K is the limit for the above test (which I believe is not using actual sound but dirac impulses, so it's not necessarily representative of what happens when you put mixed music through it). :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:45 pm 

Tested and at end i dont like Basstadizer at all.
I can easy find track where it will much ruin bass even at x0.1 strength.
Also other conclusion is that filter like this need to be dynamic.
Atm I can use it just to 'reshape' bass at about x0.03 strength.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 3476 Next