All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3976 Next
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:22 am 

What's about this:
Code:
maximum(1 + something, 0.00001)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:28 pm 

On beta 046:
Quote:
- Improved Auto EQ/Bass EQ max boost calculation
- Bass EQ first band might not go down fast enough
Changes in 046 have once again completely changed the color of the sound. To me at first glance this was not an improvement compaired to 037 but let anyone speak for himself.

We already in beta 036 and 037 started processing auto eq above 120 hz because otherwise we could not get the end output to a "nice pretty sound". The low area is already processed in natural dynamics, true bass, compressors, bass boost and more. Now also in auto eq, bass eq and bastardizer. Very nice in Ibiza or clubs (we have a huge bass woofer on the surround here and al that stuff really produces a great bass) but for radio - to me personal - al this 20 to 120 hz processing seems a bit overdone, but once again let anyone speak for himself. To me 037 was at a point where it had a nicer sound then the Optimod 8400 on oldies, that's the first time I heard something nicer than that sound (nice is something else then a pure or clear sound before someone gets into the disadvantages of that sound).

There are huge problems in 046 loading settings before 037. See output attached picture, it only produces flashes of sound. Secondly when producing 046 with 037 settings the sound (sometimes randomly sometimes constantly sometimes not) drops to zero on changes. It is not possible to test the beta on this configuration: windows 10, foobar 1.4 beta 9, stereotool VST 32 bit 8.55 beta 046.
Attachment:
st_cutout.jpg
st_cutout.jpg [ 38.97 KiB | Viewed 3966 times ]

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:57 pm 

I was finally able to reliably reproduce my shrinking GUI window problem:
Only when closing the host while the ST GUI is visible a new window size is saved (usually I close ST before the host so I didn't notice earlier). It's only a few pixels smaller every time but they sum up eventually to make the GUI components rearrange.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What's about this:
Code:
maximum(1 + something, 0.00001)
That did appear to fix it. But -.999999 is big enough to not cause overshoots - and based on the errors, the overshoots were huge. And only in 64 bit mode. Anyway... let's await the next build to make sure it's fixed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
On beta 046:
Quote:
- Improved Auto EQ/Bass EQ max boost calculation
- Bass EQ first band might not go down fast enough
Changes in 046 have once again completely changed the color of the sound. To me at first glance this was not an improvement compaired to 037 but let anyone speak for himself.

We already in beta 036 and 037 started processing auto eq above 120 hz because otherwise we could not get the end output to a "nice pretty sound". The low area is already processed in natural dynamics, true bass, compressors, bass boost and more. Now also in auto eq, bass eq and bastardizer. Very nice in Ibiza or clubs (we have a huge bass woofer on the surround here and al that stuff really produces a great bass) but for radio - to me personal - al this 20 to 120 hz processing seems a bit overdone, but once again let anyone speak for himself. To me 037 was at a point where it had a nicer sound then the Optimod 8400 on oldies, that's the first time I heard something nicer than that sound (nice is something else then a pure or clear sound before someone gets into the disadvantages of that sound).

There are huge problems in 046 loading settings before 037. See output attached picture, it only produces flashes of sound. Secondly when producing 046 with 037 settings the sound (sometimes randomly sometimes constantly sometimes not) drops to zero on changes. It is not possible to test the beta on this configuration: windows 10, foobar 1.4 beta 9, stereotool VST 32 bit 8.55 beta 046.

st_cutout.jpg
I hope the next beta will fix it again. Something was wrong with a certain combination of settings, you might have just run into that. And there's that weird compiler bug (which is what I'm guessing it is). Once fixed, the sound should be nearly exactly the same as 037.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I was finally able to reliably reproduce my shrinking GUI window problem:
Only when closing the host while the ST GUI is visible a new window size is saved (usually I close ST before the host so I didn't notice earlier). It's only a few pixels smaller every time but they sum up eventually to make the GUI components rearrange.
Ok, just to confirm: You're running the VST plugin? And if you close the host (which one????) the window shrinks, but if you close it first it doesn't?

I was trying to reproduce this in the stand alone version and that didn't work. All VST hosts are different, and behave very differently, so it really would help to know which one you're using.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:46 pm 

Quote:
Ok, just to confirm: You're running the VST plugin? And if you close the host (which one????) the window shrinks, but if you close it first it doesn't?
Sorry, it's the Winamp DSP and the host isn't public software. And yes, the window shrinks (new values in ini-file), but if I close it first it doesn't (same values in ini-file as before).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:02 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Sorry, it's the Winamp DSP and the host isn't public software. And yes, the window shrinks (new values in ini-file), but if I close it first it doesn't (same values in ini-file as before).
I've tried it a lot of times here now (both closing Winamp and clicking on open/close multiple times), and the size doesn't change even a single pixel. Could you try the same thing in Winamp? If that works fine it must be something in your host... If so I can build a version with extra logging to figure out what happens (actually, I probably need to do that anyway since if it fails in Winamp as well, I still need to figure out why).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:47 am 

No time to test Winamp now but I did analyze the sequence of heights and widths:
Height starts off at 831.3333 and then goes down by alternating steps between -18.6667 and -19.3333 and stops at 476.
Width starts off at 1542.6667 and then goes down by exactly -8 and stops at 624.6667.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
No time to test Winamp now but I did analyze the sequence of heights and widths:
Height starts off at 831.3333 and then goes down by alternating steps between -18.6667 and -19.3333 and stops at 476.
Width starts off at 1542.6667 and then goes down by exactly -8 and stops at 624.6667.
Ok. That sounds like it's the border. Is this a 4K screen?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 759 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3976 Next