All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:34 pm 
Site Admin

Could it be that you just zoomed out too far? The limiter in Stereo Tool also analyses how fast it can move up again, so the speed at which it acts is dynamic. If you zoom out a lot it might look like clipping - but it really isn't (as you can see in my screenshot).

If you want it to behave like a classic limiter, increase the "Release attack/release times for no bass" to 100%. I wouldn't advise that though, the setting is set to 10% for a reason (it sounds better, louder).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:12 pm 

Quote:
Could it be that you just zoomed out too far? The limiter in Stereo Tool also analyses how fast it can move up again, so the speed at which it acts is dynamic. If you zoom out a lot it might look like clipping - but it really isn't (as you can see in my screenshot).
Same monitoring app, same scopes, same scope settings. Just the output seen from the 'another processor' I've used. Looks a lot better as limiter output.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

As I wrote before:
Quote:
If you want it to behave like a classic limiter, increase the "Release attack/release times for no bass" to 100%. I wouldn't advise that though, the setting is set to 10% for a reason (it sounds better, louder).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:39 pm 

I've observed that some lookahead limiters appear to have a dual time constant function to them. Basically, the harder you drive them, the more deep they get into gain reduction. However, to minimize IMD, they don't really get much louder past a certain point.

I also noticed that in Stereo Tool's lookahead limiter, no such mechanism exists. It just gets louder and louder (of course, only to a point). With lower frequencies, limiting and clipping can look really similar too, especially if you're not zoomed in really tight.

When I first enabled this limiter on the stream output, I observed a subtle increase in clarity in the high frequencies, and a corresponding reduction in loudness. It was clear enough to me that it was no longer clipping. But if I wanted the ability to drive it very deep like other look ahead limiters, I would need to put the single band compressor in line to act as a buffer. I didn't see any advantage to doing that, however, so I'm driving it in much the same way I was driving the clipper before this feature existed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:30 pm 

My settings..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

Stereo Tool 8.54 BETA011

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 54-011.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 54-011.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 54-011.dll

Windows 64 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 54-011.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 54-011.dll

Raspberry Pi 2/3:
Pi ALSA: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... ETA854-011
Pi Jack: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... ETA854-011

CHANGES:
- Added more NAN logging (the location where it's detected first is now logged).
- strncpy calls protection added
- Linux version: Hangup on start if no GUI can be opened fixed. (Due to a bug it didn't stop retrying, now it stops after 3 seconds)

OLD CHANGES:
- Check compressor levels further -> Improved "Low CPU" mode: Much closer to normal mode now
- Octavafm's crash -> Happened once, didn't kill the audio (beside at the moment itself), recovered, message could be closed. Happened while changing parametric eq settings, but it crashed in Absolute Highs. Nothing suspicious according to Valgrind.... - Solved, was triggered by a NAN which caused a calculation to give an unexpected result, which caused a table lookup outside of allocated memory. Error has been there for almost 2 years, but would only occur if you have a NAN issue and Absolute Highs is enabled.
- Matt's MB1 NAN behavior (does not reproduce here, more info needed) --> Code added, long test running, all good so far
- SST update installer
- SST & ST update Matt's preset (Dense 3)
- Check merge use_ [1] from 8.54 to 8.53?
- Dequantizer effect on lossy codecs? -> 0.25 dB improvement on 16-bit audio without noisy sounds, if not using Noise Gate.
- MicroMPX Bits shifted -> Seems OK now, merge back into 8.53
- Run SST 8.53 release build
Verified the code with Valgrind, found a few somewhat suspicious things (calculations that were using uninitialized values on the first run) that are fixed now. This probably has no noticeable effect, but it could potentially solve some issues. Also found one bug with Valgrind when loading presets.
- Check if goniometers take latency into account
- RMS compressor mode fails in 8.53??? Just dies, no more compression, but audio output and limiters still there. (Possibly fixed, waiting for feedback)
- Omnia.9: Give more output values for smoother meters
- SST installer
- SST web gui fixes Koek
- Check report of VST crash in ProppFrexx (does not reproduce here, more info needed) ==> Solved, was not a Stereo Tool bug.
- Dropout when playing MPX2.flac in Winamp plugin
- Add MP3 detection sensitivity for variance to avoid detecting lowpassed audio as lossy
- Check MB1 Digital mode, reported to not work anymore
- Add Goniometer level compensation (in fact, just moved Pre Amp further in the chain)
- *Probably* fixed crash reported by Wunjo (CPU related, so I can't easily test it).
- Combined and reorganized Compressor calls for better cache behavior and fewer separate threading calls.
CPU load with identical settings: 6.7% before combining threads, 6.5% after, 6.4% after improving cache.

- Omnia.9: Clean up L-R area when AutoPilot is active -> L-R should not even be demodulated in that mode.
- Optimize Peak mode as well? -> No, but Average is possible (and done now).
- Add goniometer More places?
- Finished optimizing performance Auto EQ etc. DONE, 9.5 times faster than in version 8.52!
- Finished optimizing performance of AGC
- Optimized performance of Multiband 1, Multiband 2 and Singleband in RMS mode (factor 3).
- Buffer issue Triple
- SCA was broken - only for threads > 1
- Gray screen Wolf
- Optimized Auto EQ and new AGC performance (partially done) -> Output can be slightly different with 'Low CPU' enabled (possibly even better!)
- Added MagicRDS remoting support (Pira program)
- Auto EQ was missing in main page
- Increase NAN detection thresholds (test with new AGC with insane input levels)
- Omnia.9 return clipped audio via callback
- Omnia.9 logging remove time and \n
- Scheduler killed new AGC setting!
- MicroMPX decoder web interface could hang on right click on tray icon
- Buffer issue Generic plugin - needs to be tested.
- SST increased contrast
- SST wrong word in MicroMPX settings

TODO:
- Fix external RDS input (not stable enough and should ignore non-RDS signal)
- Report of Linux Jack version crashing - since 8.52 -> Works fine with the latest beta, tested in multiple Raspbian versions and in Ubuntu Mate. Might have been something else? More info needed, ignoring for now.
- Test gate - can it be made better (closer to original) in Low CPU mode? -> Probably not without doing really weird stuff. Seems to depend solely on the difference in audio levels. And we don't know that exactly. :(
- External RDS -> Merge to Omnia
- Would a times 32 version be useful? (Or at least for ARM-based?) (Even more so now that the behavior is much closer!). Test performance. Not useful (probably 1% CPU load difference). Faster FFT would be FAR more useful.
- Set maximum to L-R asymmetry?
- SCA glitch when starting or changing settings fixed
- Linux XCreateDisplay issue (wait for strace output) -> Seems ok for now...??? (Was reported not to work in latest Raspbian, but it works fine here. More info needed if there's still a problem.) Downloaded latest Raspbian here, did sudo apt-get dist-upgrade which should give me the same setup as that of the person with the issue, but everything works fine. Waiting for more feedback, and for them to test the latest binary.
- ARM version: Changed default startup settings to 3 threads, no subthreads.
- ARM version: Low CPU mode is on for all compressors and Auto EQ by default.
- Made Final Limiter visible in Basic mode (was Extreme Tweaker only).
- Add AM presets
- Add Breakaway Pipeline warning
- Add too much noise gate warning
- Add too much BS412 action warning
- Add libVLC instability warning
- Omnia.9 set Stereo signal. Probably fixed? Wait for answer.
- Omnia.9 test/fix logging
- Omnia.9 AutoPilot add flag for generating noise above pilot?
- Octaviafm extra logging? - Waiting. Once we know the cause I'll run a new build. But I'm not going to hold off releasing the current version, since 1. this issue doesn't have any side effects anymore and 2. it very likely isn't new.
- Hanegraaff
- Check MB2 1% something (see FB chat about crackling sound, which was ok in 8.00). Test with Rhodes54 preset -> Ok. But Spideys Web (7.41 vs 8.54) is different, let's test that.
- WatchCat website

- Would multiple where_i_am start points improve attack? YES!!!! Think about how to implement it...
- Compressor/limiter on input before AGC to handle extreme sounds? / 2nd AGC with higher threshold for voice tracks
- uMPX 24x2ch interface
- One bass page
- New bass effect
- Revisit new Hard Limit / Final Limiter with Matt

- GUI: Hide disabled stuff, far less confusing / much cleaner interface.
- Talk to chip
- 2 jaar
- Fardau
- -24 dB side chain range?
- Bigger font on 4K screens

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:20 pm 

New beta Testing.... sounds good.!
@Bojcha Where is this screen ???? omg.. am i blind?? :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
New beta Testing.... sounds good.!
@Bojcha Where is this screen ???? omg.. am i blind?? :(
Under Advanced Clipper! Enable "Limit instead" and you can use these settings to control how the limiter acts.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:27 pm 

Quote:
- Extra AGC?
It's a good idea, Hans.
Another AGC should be BEFORE bs412 limiter.
It would "help" to get MORE constant dbr level and constant loudnes.. Without arfitacts/distorions causing by bs412 compressor/limiter..
LESS Artifact.

--
Marcin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
- Extra AGC?
It's a good idea, Hans.
Another AGC should be BEFORE bs412 limiter.
It would "help" to get MORE constant dbr level and constant loudnes.. Without arfitacts/distorions causing by bs412 compressor/limiter..
LESS Artifact.

--
Marcin
Hi Marcin,

That *should* not be necessary. A good preset should be so constant in level already that the BS412 limiter doesn't need do more than about 1 dB in adjustments. If you drive it too hard though it will start moving all over the place. So if that's the problem now, reduce the "Input level" slider for BS412. Tune it to be low enough to see nearly no BS412 action (the red and purple lines), and keep the black line (the BS412 level) glued to the top.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 155 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1416 Next