All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 926 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 pm 

Quote:
Want 32kHz? then you need to set that in windows too.
If that was possible i would have done it. Lowest in windows is 44.1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:08 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Want 32kHz? then you need to set that in windows too.
If that was possible i would have done it. Lowest in windows is 44.1
Ahh true! I never needed 32kHz.. ok i also learned something today :D
Can KS help?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:32 am 

ks give a cracking sound, only mms input works clear in this latest beta

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

The buffer filling of outputs should start at 50% as before again with this update.

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 25-011.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 25-011.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 25-011.dll

Windows 64 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 25-011.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 25-011.dll

CHANGES:
- Synchronize PortAudio input and output starts
- Make sure that in case of no input audio, the error is reported for the input. Added the watchdog tick to be always called when the callback is called, even if no audio is being played.
- Make buffer filling 50% on start - Wait for first input to return. Only then allow outputs. Also needed for VLC (so the delay can be big!) In fact, the best way might be to connect it to when the first callback of the input sound card happens... enable the other callbacks INSIDE that input callback. But if I do that I need special solutions for VLC and ASIO. And that won't take the calculation time into account, and it might actually be a good thing to take that into account to make the buffer at least not too empty.

OLD CHANGES:
- Updated PortAudio to latest version
- Added FM/HD synchronziation slider. You will hear glitches when adjusting it, but no complete dropouts as with changing the buffer size.
- Changed PortAudio callback block size to let PortAudio decide the best size. This might slightly reduce latency and also help against hiccups.
- Added display of supported sample rates (and MME) to sound card selection.
- SST help
- Delossifier Spectral hole filler CPU load is much higher in 8.23 than in 8.00 - no obvious change in the code. - Wasn't true, slightly optimized it anyway.
- Removed old WINMM audio card code, replaced by PortAudio.

TODO:
- GiPHouse build warnings
- Make PortAudio work on Mac (output works, input not yet)
- Make PortAudio work properly on Linux - it works but with weird warnings and it takes a long time to start.
- Send out RDS texts
- Fix 31N
- Show low input level warning for inputs below - say - around -9 dB or so. For extended periods. Reason; I hear on a local station here that they probably have a too low input level and they didn;'t know that that was a problemn, but the sound on one of the built-in presets wasn't as consistent as it should be, and some tracks sound muffled probably due to too much noise gating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:43 pm 

hi Hans wasapi input works only with mms output otherwise it get the same error 32 failed bla bla

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:05 am 

What is the advantage of each format or path, WASAPI, MME, KS, etc? What's best? Why?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
hi Hans wasapi input works only with mms output otherwise it get the same error 32 failed bla bla
I think I found it! Turns out you have to initialize PortAudio in the same thread that opens the sound card... and I just put it at the start of the program. I'm now able to do things that didn't work before (with unclear reasons), so I hope you will be too. And I also hope that this means that the Mac version works now.

Edit: Mac version is still bad :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
What is the advantage of each format or path, WASAPI, MME, KS, etc? What's best? Why?
MME is what I supported until now. The problem with it is that Windows will always automatically resample it if the sample rate that's set in the driver settings doesn't match what you select. In fact, that wasn't the case in Windows 95/98/XP, but since Vista they kinda screwed it up. This is the most annoying for FM outputs (the whole stereo/rds part can disappear due to the resampling), but the resampler that Windows uses is very bad and causes audible artifacts - and many people might hear that something is wrong but they won't know what it is.

MME also passes through the Windows mixer which can combine multiple signals into 1 signal going into the sound card. This mixer causes extra latency and potentially artifacts.

WASAPI can apparently only be opened in the sample rate that's selected in the driver. So, choosing the wrong sample rate here means that you get an error message instead of (invisible) resampling.

KS is getting pretty close to what ASIO does. I have to read up on the exact details here... but it was really time to replace MME by something else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:49 pm 

Some refinement in the dropdown list of devices is probably needed at this point. When you've got 3 interface types to pick from, multiplied by all the devices you have, the list gets pretty long.

I've seen in some other products where you first pick the type (MME, KS, etc.), and then the resulting pulldown lists each device only once, for the appropriate interface type selected.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:23 pm 

In WASAPI is possible to take different sample rate then system default setting and play native without resampling.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 260 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 926 Next