All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 8.21 BETA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Hi all,

A few versions ago, I was talking to some people (mainly Wes Keene) about the compressor, and implemented some alternative modes. They never made it into a released version because I'm still not sure if these changes are actually improvements. Multiple people have told me that they are - but I'm not sure how they tested. Anyway, I'm posting this beta with one of those changes built in to get feedback about it. (No pun intended, but it's also a feedback feature!).

Until now, if you enable Feedback mode in my compressors, the ratio isn't properly followed anymore - in fact, at Feedback 100%, you can't get much more than a 2:1 ratio. I have now created a new mode, called FEEDBACK^2 (or short ^2 in the GUI on crowded pages) which does follow the ratio. Which means that it behaves completely different from the existing Feedback mode, and is actually pretty close - but not identical! - to Feed forward mode.

To use this mode, enable FEEDBACK^2 (or ^2) in the GUI for each compressor where you want to try it. My main question is: Does it sound better than Feed forward mode.

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 21-005.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 21-005.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 21-005.dll

CHANGES:
- Add glowing yellow line around SST tray icon, to make it more visible.
- WatchCat reset, test that output level is 100%
- WatchCat license dingen.
- WatchCat font size
- SST: Reset settings when loading a new preset, now it keeps the current settings - that's bad for new settings!
- Stereo Tool: Add info to .sts files to allow importing them in Omnia SST.
- SST: Improved Stereo Tool settings import
- Make FF and 100% FB^2 behave the same in speeds.
- Perfect Declipper crash
- UECP recv hangs after connection close - web server too??? When do I disconnect? http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO/overview.html -> Moved things to a separate thread, and if a new connection comes in the old one gets closed, instead of waiting for it infinitely and ignoring the new one.
- Someone reported that their ASIO card isn't visible in 8.20. It's there in 8.14. Digigram VX222v2. Maybe 32 vs 64 bit issue? -> Looks like it, it works in 32 bit Stereo Tool 8.20.- Build version with only FB^2 mode, without insane CPU load

PARTIALLY DONE:
- Figure out way to show ms values in sliders with negative direction Wait for feedback, maybe in Hz or / in front of it?
- Attack Multiplier: Remove the x values? Maybe 0 in center, -10 to +10? (* and / would make more sense!) Wait for feedback, maybe switch x and /
- SST: Skype call with Jim about names. Processing done (mostly)
- Make Pi image

TODO:
- Time zone set & gmtime() / localtime() issue in Windows. Get it to Leif
- MicroMPX: Improve pilot merge after drop when using slightly wrong frequency. (How important is this?) -> Not a problem
- SST: Disable 'MULTICORE' for latency 128, maybe also 256. What about LQLL -> Also off What about 512?
- SST: More Skype with Jim
- Possibly add code 0 for FM 87.5 in the AF list. Seems to be supported by some receivers.
- 1 channel audio processing was broken in 8.20.
- More-than-2 channel audio processing was broken in 8.20 due to what appears to be a compiler bug.
- Decide FB^2 mode
- SST: Text upside down, direction of some controls flipped. KOEK - OHW
- SST: Multiple MicroMPX output IP addresses and ports in web GUI!!! KOEK - OHW
- NAB whitepaper
- 32 vs 64 bit 'error'?
- SST: Encrypted uMPX license
- SST: Shane manual
- SST: Shane's Lynx card analysis.
- SST: Change something with saving presets/loading presets so you can't accidentally load sound card settings etc. (DANGEROUS, can take you off the air!) "In a processing preset menu, you probably should only load processing files. Other omnia's have separate I/O presets. EVERYTHING is dangerous. HIDE it when in PROCESSING/CLEANUP. Save and recall system stuff separately?"
- SST: Help with ? in top menu which makes things clickable.
- SST: Add built-in help

- SST interface in uMPX command line version
- Spoedcursus audio VANDAAG
- Opdrachtdefinitie - wat precies willen we VANDAAG
- PortAudio MATHIJS
- Framework Radboud MATHIJS
- Entering license in Mac version VST crashes MATHIJS
- WatchCat close issue on Mac MATHIJS
- Add buffer underrun warning - auto detect lowest possible latency??
- Maybe add common logging?
- "Stuck" 1 dB difference multiband compressor mode before AGC
- Thread priority overview
- Continue with AA Ratio, ARS Mode, Max Ratio, check which are needed and adjust GUI to make everything fit again.
- MicroMPX: Check Stokkemask compliance on drops -> Seems ok! Still better to filter! MATHIJS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:09 pm 

Hi Hans,

I get a cleaner sound with ^2, feedback between 98 and 100%, although I use only 1.11:1 compr. in MB1 and 1.06:1 in MB2 (window 1.2/1.3 dB)
Setting for web.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

@Wunjo: did you compare against feed forward? If not, the compressors probably reduce the level a bit further which would protect the clipper.

1.11 and 1.06 is really insanely low....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:54 am 

Quote:
Also use very low values of ratio, allow a cleaner and natural sound. The adjustment is more complicated obviously, but the result is worth it. The trick is to lower the threshold to very low values and look for the best fit. ;)

Changing the subject, Hans you can make that in Power Bass and Highs the control Maximun Extra ... is modified of to 0.1 dB is necessary for a finer adjustment, like the controls of Mix in the compressors. Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:03 am 

When driven into action, the new feedback method at 100% does sound smoother (perhaps more natural) than the existing feedback and feed forward modes IMO.

Feed forward still sounds crisper and harder for otherwise the same settings, but AFAIK, that is the expected behavior.

Admittedly, thus far I only did a quick test using the single-band compressor in RMS mode, as I usually try to stay out of much compression for local listening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:36 pm 

Quote:
@Wunjo: did you compare against feed forward? If not, the compressors probably reduce the level a bit further which would protect the clipper.

No, I didn't. I used already that feedback settings with RMS, and just switched the ^2 's on :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:41 pm 

That is *exactly* what feedback is supposed to do, in my opinion. Feedforward is generally known for having more faithful reproduction of highs, where feedback can sound a little warmer deeper. What I am especially curious to know about is *why* StereoTool might sound better in this mode.
Quote:
When driven into action, the new feedback method at 100% does sound smoother (perhaps more natural) than the existing feedback and feed forward modes IMO.

Feed forward still sounds crisper and harder for otherwise the same settings, but AFAIK, that is the expected behavior.

Admittedly, thus far I only did a quick test using the single-band compressor in RMS mode, as I usually try to stay out of much compression for local listening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 pm 

Quote:
PARTIALLY DONE:
- Attack Multiplier: Remove the x values? Maybe 0 in center, -10 to +10? (* and / would make more sense!) Wait for feedback, maybe switch x and /
Hello,
One Idea regarding to this:
A slider with 0 in Center (e.g. -10 to +10) with a possibility to reset (only!) the slider to 0. So the slider would have essentially no Limitation. You can make your coarse adjustment and if you are satisfied you can reset the slider and start from this Point to make (smaller) adjustments to the one or the other direction...

So you could overcome the Problem that the slider is at one end and you have to reset the band's times values manually...
Only an idea :-)
Kind Regards,
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:28 am 

If slider is -10 to +10 , then "0" must mean x1.00.
I don`t see the need of this change...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:38 am 

What about a stand-alone 64-bits Windows version? I cannot found it...