All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Stereo Tool 8.13 BETA
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 13-001.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 13-001.exe

Changes:
- 1 channel audio files are not being processed, causing silence on air (plugin version). More than 2 channels will fail as well.
- Using ASIO for I/O, 192 kHz, non-ASIO Normal output, the Normal output receives 48 kHz audio instead of 192 kHz audio, causing constant buffer underruns, when 'Input without processing' is selected as Normal output source.
- SST: "Clip L/R peaks above" is always disabled, ON/OFF must be automatic based on slider setting.
- CPU core affinities Main 1 and 2 are not saved correctly (overwritten by LQLL affinity settings).
- SST: Composite Clipper must be on by default.
- Volume drop when using old Calibration settings.
- VST plugin: Added check to avoid crashes when the Process function gets called with a negative number of samples (Wavosaur does this with empty files).
- SST: Add presets
- Gate vs Gate Freeze ranges were different, causing sliders to go outside of their range.
- Added built-in self test for sound cards
Thread priorities were not set after the processing core redesign, might have caused glitches on pc's with less than 4 cores.

Possibly fixed:
- ASIO doesn't seem to work well with 'Ignore high frequencies'; glitches. --> Don't see that here, did anyone else notice this? Possibly fixed - priorities were missing
- Glitches every 10 seconds reported - Possibly fixed - priorities were missing

TODO:
- Bug in 001 with slider behavior - fixed.
- Tested (and confirmed it works fine) but also slightly improved constant clock speed difference calculation. It now averages over at least 12 minutes (that used to be 6 or 3).
- VST version doesn't work in Wavosaur -> Works fine here, waiting for more feedback.
- SST: Slider precision --> OHW
- SST: Preset list is sometimes empty, requires an SST restart (not sure if a reload of the GUI would help too, more input needed). --> Cause known, moved to OHW
- Report (Dutch language forum): Enabling web interface in the 32 bit version crashes. 64 bit is fine. Possibly fixed, although I only saw an issue when closing it.
- Benchmark composite clipper on Pi 3 with 3 threads! - WORKS, even on a Pi 2 I can run the Composite Clipper *and* Delossifier together now!
- Web interface text boxes add %20 etc.
- CPU load is probably a lot higher than 8.12/8.00, disable AA, ARS, Max Ratio for the next build? (Measure first). ---> YES, contains pow() in inner loop!
- Compare 8.13 CPU load vs 8.00/8.12.
- near05: I have found a bug in the last VST version. If you use the 32-bit VST version in the latest Nightly Build of Audacity then it crashes in the following circumstances: Load some FM preset. Disable the FM module, and then change the number of threads in the CPU settings. The first time is also problem-free. Now open another file in Audacity. If you now want to re-apply the StereoTool (Play button in the plugin or the Apply button), then the whole application freezes and everything crashes in sequence. --> Audacity currently won't run on my laptop for some reason (it hangs on startup), I've tried this in Audition and didn't see any problem there.
- SYNC BUG Aaron Jowitt - Waiting for feedback - Probably fixed now (?)
- VLC issues?
- SST: Add Brian's presets

Working on:
- New compressor behavior with Wes Keene
- Continue with AA Ratio, ARS Mode, Max Ratio, check which are needed and adjust GUI to make everything fit again.
- Check if Max Attack Speed (set to 0.5 dB) actually works - it doesn't seem to!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:50 pm 

Hi Hans,

I noted some unexpected behavior while changing settings by mouse in Power Bass.
Setting jumped by 6db in Ignore lowest and other odd behavior.
dsp version win7 64

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:09 pm 

Thanks for the fixes, Hans!

Yes, the step size seems to have changed, e.g. when adjusting pre/post amplifier.

In extreme mode for SB and post-AGC compressors the GUI is squeezed a bit.
Also the new max ratio is greyed out then, though it isn't for the MBs.

What does/will the max ratio do?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:10 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi Hans,

I noted some unexpected behavior while changing settings by mouse in Power Bass.
Setting jumped by 6db in Ignore lowest and other odd behavior.
dsp version win7 64
Ah! I was running into some weird behavior here as well but I didn't understand why. Now I do. Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
In extreme mode for SB and post-AGC compressors the GUI is squeezed a bit.
Also the new max ratio is greyed out then, though it isn't for the MBs.

What does/will the max ratio do?
Max Ratio makes it possible to have a different ratio at the start and at the bottom. So, more compression when you go down further. Apparently almost all the old analog feedback mode processors have that behavior...

Beside that, you can also increase the attack/release speeds when you go down further, that's what Attack Release Speedup (ARS) does. This is also something that traditional FB compressors do.

AA Ratio mode is experimental (actually all these options are, although I'm pretty sure by now that Attack Release Speedup is a good idea). AA Ratio is basically the 'Compress/Limit' slider from my very first compressor design. At 100%, compression starts immediately (at silence!) but the ratio goes up when the level increases. If you set Ratio to 1:INF and AA to 100%, you get a behavior similar to that of Compress mode in the old compressor. This might or might not be preferable over using Max Ratio. (Needs testing).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 13-002.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 13-002.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 13-002.dll

Changes:
- Bug in 001 with slider behavior - fixed.
- Tested (and confirmed it works fine) but also slightly improved constant clock speed difference calculation. It now averages over at least 12 minutes (that used to be 6 or 3).

Previous changes:
- 1 channel audio files are not being processed, causing silence on air (plugin version). More than 2 channels will fail as well.
- Using ASIO for I/O, 192 kHz, non-ASIO Normal output, the Normal output receives 48 kHz audio instead of 192 kHz audio, causing constant buffer underruns, when 'Input without processing' is selected as Normal output source.
- SST: "Clip L/R peaks above" is always disabled, ON/OFF must be automatic based on slider setting.
- CPU core affinities Main 1 and 2 are not saved correctly (overwritten by LQLL affinity settings).
- SST: Composite Clipper must be on by default.
- Volume drop when using old Calibration settings.
- VST plugin: Added check to avoid crashes when the Process function gets called with a negative number of samples (Wavosaur does this with empty files).
- SST: Add presets
- Gate vs Gate Freeze ranges were different, causing sliders to go outside of their range.
- Added built-in self test for sound cards
Thread priorities were not set after the processing core redesign, might have caused glitches on pc's with less than 4 cores.

Possibly fixed:
- ASIO doesn't seem to work well with 'Ignore high frequencies'; glitches. --> Don't see that here, did anyone else notice this? Possibly fixed - priorities were missing
- Glitches every 10 seconds reported - Possibly fixed - priorities were missing

TODO:
- Found and fixed another ASIO buffer filling bug. The buffer wasn't allocated big enough which might have lead to weird issues (although I haven't been able to reproduce any issues here).
- Timeout bug Aaron Jowitt - must have been there for a long time, big VLC buffer sizes could cause sound card timeouts to be reported. Not sure if it's fully fixed yet...
- In one situation, LQLL output doesn't do anything. Need to investigate. -> Odd, seems fine now. Was logging in remotely, not sure what happened.
- VST version doesn't work in Wavosaur -> Works fine here, waiting for more feedback. -> Confirmed to work fine by original reporter with latest beta
- Benchmark composite clipper on Pi 3 with 3 threads! - WORKS, even on a Pi 2 I can run the Composite Clipper *and* Delossifier together now!
- Web interface text boxes add %20 etc.
- SST: Slider precision --> OHW
- SST: Preset list is sometimes empty, requires an SST restart (not sure if a reload of the GUI would help too, more input needed). --> Cause known, moved to OHW
- Report (Dutch language forum): Enabling web interface in the 32 bit version crashes. 64 bit is fine. Possibly fixed, although I only saw an issue when closing it.
- SYNC BUG Aaron Jowitt - I wonder if this could be the priority issue as well.
- near05: I have found a bug in the last VST version. If you use the 32-bit VST version in the latest Nightly Build of Audacity then it crashes in the following circumstances: Load some FM preset. Disable the FM module, and then change the number of threads in the CPU settings. The first time is also problem-free. Now open another file in Audacity. If you now want to re-apply the StereoTool (Play button in the plugin or the Apply button), then the whole application freezes and everything crashes in sequence. --> Audacity currently won't run on my laptop for some reason (it hangs on startup), I've tried this in Audition and didn't see any problem there.
- VLC issues?
- SST: Add Brian's presets

Working on:
- New compressor behavior with Wes Keene
- Continue with AA Ratio, ARS Mode, Max Ratio, check which are needed and adjust GUI to make everything fit again.
- Check if Max Attack Speed (set to 0.5 dB) actually works - it doesn't seem to!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:52 pm 

8.13 B002 installed where I had problem with 8.12
Now I need to monitor a time to see the behaviour :-)
I'll give you feedback tomorrow after some hours running ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:20 am 

Hi,
After 13 hours working, it seems to be good. Set to 6 threads :-)

Thanks Hanz to solve the problem :-)

Have a nice week-end
Stef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:34 pm 

Unfortunatly,
Now I have again problem.
If in ST, In 'Sound Card', I click on Restarts Sound Card, it's working good for a while.
Ouputs buffer it's +- 50%

An idea ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:28 pm 

When will the "Aussie Supercharged Dreams" preset be added? I need a WEB/DAB/HD Radio version of this.