All times are UTC+02:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:52 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
This isn't a beta?
This was supposed to be a release, but I found one serious bug today that sometimes causes the sound to be very bad (and very loud - you'll notice it immediately) when switching presets. So, I want to fix that and add a few presets before releasing.
No worries! I hope it'll still be called 8.13 because 13 is my lucky number.
Because it's unlucky, but because it's my lucky number, it cancels itself out so it becomes a normal number. So my lucky number is just a normal number which means it's special which means it's lucky.

I'm talking too much again aren't I? I'll go away now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:35 am 

Just reporting the buffer overrun on ASIO is no longer evident on 8.13 BETA005.

In relation to the VLC issue, whilst I have not tested the latest fix, have found that earlier versions did not provide sufficient CPU power to run VLC. Suspect its related to thread issue. Is there a way that VLC can run by ST but have access to all cores/threads?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:32 am 

Quote:
[...] currently the CPU load is incredibly high (total Stereo Tool CPU load became 30% higher since I added these things) [...]
Btw. aren't things automatically turned off/bypassed when it makes sense (e.g. ratio = 1, max ratio = 1, gate = -infinity, window = 0, etc.)?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:40 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
[...] currently the CPU load is incredibly high (total Stereo Tool CPU load became 30% higher since I added these things) [...]
Btw. aren't things automatically turned off/bypassed when it makes sense (e.g. ratio = 1, max ratio = 1, gate = -infinity, window = 0, etc.)?
The stuff that makes the calculation heavier needs to be placed in a table together with the rest. That way it won't take any extra CPU power, regardless whether it's on or off. But, I will only do that after deciding what to put in there and after it works properly, because optimizing makes the code much harder to read (and hence also to change).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:46 am 
Site Admin

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 14-001.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 14-001.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 14-001.dll

Changes:
- near05: I have found a bug in the last VST version. If you use the 32-bit VST version in the latest Nightly Build of Audacity then it crashes in the following circumstances: Load some FM preset. Disable the FM module, and then change the number of threads in the CPU settings. The first time is also problem-free. Now open another file in Audacity. If you now want to re-apply the StereoTool (Play button in the plugin or the Apply button), then the whole application freezes and everything crashes in sequence. --> Does not reproduce here, and since it's a nightly build and it happend with an older Stereo Tool version, I'm hoping that this was either something in Stereo Tool that's now fixed or a bug in Audacity. It could be a bug in Stereo Tool but as I said I don't see it here.
- Rules are meant to be broken in SST disabled when not using DSB
- Add presets

Possibly fixed:
- Report (Dutch language forum): Enabling web interface in the 32 bit version crashes. 64 bit is fine. Possibly fixed, although I only saw an issue when closing it.
- ASIO doesn't seem to work well with 'Ignore high frequencies'; glitches. --> Don't see that here, did anyone else notice this? Possibly fixed - priorities were missing

Previous changes:
- Glitches every 10 seconds reported in 8.12 - seems ok now
- (Again) fixed 5.1 audio (was still broken).
- Max Attack and Max Release numbers are displayed incorrectly. Fix how they are displayed.
- SST slider fix
- Fixed a weird (and still unexplained) crash in Adobe 3.0 from 2007, reported by Peter Boer. After disabling some compiler optimizations (because the behavior didn't make any sense at all) the crash is gone... possibly a compiler bug. (?)
- When using ASIO for SCA Input, and using a separate thread, that thread isn't started and the SCA input is never read. Solved now, by disabling separate thread when using ASIO
- ASIO inputs were sometimes showing some dotted overlay that was moving from half-way to the top (and disappearing). Turns out that I was reading the wrong value to determine what to display in the GUI, the actual behavior was correct. Fixed.
- SST: Add Brian's preset
- Found and fixed another ASIO buffer filling bug. The buffer wasn't allocated big enough which might have lead to weird issues (although I haven't been able to reproduce any issues here).
- Timeout bug Aaron Jowitt - must have been there for a long time, big VLC buffer sizes could cause sound card timeouts to be reported. Not sure if it's fully fixed yet...
- In one situation, LQLL output doesn't do anything. Need to investigate. -> Odd, seems fine now. Was logging in remotely, not sure what happened.
- VST version doesn't work in Wavosaur -> Works fine here, waiting for more feedback. -> Confirmed to work fine by original reporter with latest beta
- Benchmark composite clipper on Pi 3 with 3 threads! - WORKS, even on a Pi 2 I can run the Composite Clipper *and* Delossifier together now!
- Web interface text boxes add %20 etc.
- SST: Slider precision --> OHW
- SST: Preset list is sometimes empty, requires an SST restart (not sure if a reload of the GUI would help too, more input needed). --> Cause known, moved to OHW
- Bug in 001 with slider behavior - fixed.
- Tested (and confirmed it works fine) but also slightly improved constant clock speed difference calculation. It now averages over at least 12 minutes (that used to be 6 or 3).
- 1 channel audio files are not being processed, causing silence on air (plugin version). More than 2 channels will fail as well.
- Using ASIO for I/O, 192 kHz, non-ASIO Normal output, the Normal output receives 48 kHz audio instead of 192 kHz audio, causing constant buffer underruns, when 'Input without processing' is selected as Normal output source.
- SST: "Clip L/R peaks above" is always disabled, ON/OFF must be automatic based on slider setting.
- CPU core affinities Main 1 and 2 are not saved correctly (overwritten by LQLL affinity settings).
- SST: Composite Clipper must be on by default.
- Volume drop when using old Calibration settings.
- VST plugin: Added check to avoid crashes when the Process function gets called with a negative number of samples (Wavosaur does this with empty files).
- SST: Add presets
- Gate vs Gate Freeze ranges were different, causing sliders to go outside of their range.
- Added built-in self test for sound cards
- Thread priorities were not set after the processing core redesign, might have caused glitches on pc's with less than 4 cores.

TODO 8.14:
- Paul Thompson preset: Replace one, remove one (Skype)
- Fix command line version close bug
- Weird volume issue - Doesn't reproduce anymore. I had a few times that I selected a preset, and suddenly the volume would be too loud so it would sound really bad due to horrible clipping. I also saw a NAN warning on screen when that happened. Haven't been able to reproduce it since, it could be something that has been here for years and almost nevre happens... but I'm not certain if that's the case.

TODO:
- Shane's Lynx card analysis.
- VLC issues?

Working on:
- New compressor behavior with Wes Keene
- Continue with AA Ratio, ARS Mode, Max Ratio, check which are needed and adjust GUI to make everything fit again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:10 pm 

NSIS error during install dsp 814beta001 ?
Tried to download twice, same error

Attachments:
NSIS error.JPG
NSIS error.JPG [ 34.47 KiB | Viewed 17183 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
NSIS error during install dsp 814beta001 ?
Tried to download twice, same error
Upload must have failed. The file is only 2.2 MB and it should be over 4. Re-uploading now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:30 am 

'window' slider in both singleband compressors, drunk. :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:12 pm 
Site Admin

Windows 32 bit:
Windows stand alone: http://www.stereotool.com/download/ster ... 14-002.exe
Winamp DSP: http://www.stereotool.com/download/dsp_ ... 14-002.exe
VST: http://www.stereotool.com/download/vst_ ... 14-002.dll

Changes:
- Fix command line version close bug
- Paul Thompson preset: Replace one, remove one (Skype)

Possibly fixed:
- Report (Dutch language forum): Enabling web interface in the 32 bit version crashes. 64 bit is fine. Possibly fixed, although I only saw an issue when closing it.
- ASIO doesn't seem to work well with 'Ignore high frequencies'; glitches. --> Don't see that here, did anyone else notice this? Possibly fixed - priorities were missing

Previous changes:
- near05: I have found a bug in the last VST version. If you use the 32-bit VST version in the latest Nightly Build of Audacity then it crashes in the following circumstances: Load some FM preset. Disable the FM module, and then change the number of threads in the CPU settings. The first time is also problem-free. Now open another file in Audacity. If you now want to re-apply the StereoTool (Play button in the plugin or the Apply button), then the whole application freezes and everything crashes in sequence. --> Does not reproduce here, and since it's a nightly build and it happend with an older Stereo Tool version, I'm hoping that this was either something in Stereo Tool that's now fixed or a bug in Audacity. It could be a bug in Stereo Tool but as I said I don't see it here.
- Rules are meant to be broken in SST disabled when not using DSB
- Add presets
- Glitches every 10 seconds reported in 8.12 - seems ok now
- (Again) fixed 5.1 audio (was still broken).
- Max Attack and Max Release numbers are displayed incorrectly. Fix how they are displayed.
- SST slider fix
- Fixed a weird (and still unexplained) crash in Adobe 3.0 from 2007, reported by Peter Boer. After disabling some compiler optimizations (because the behavior didn't make any sense at all) the crash is gone... possibly a compiler bug. (?)
- When using ASIO for SCA Input, and using a separate thread, that thread isn't started and the SCA input is never read. Solved now, by disabling separate thread when using ASIO
- ASIO inputs were sometimes showing some dotted overlay that was moving from half-way to the top (and disappearing). Turns out that I was reading the wrong value to determine what to display in the GUI, the actual behavior was correct. Fixed.
- SST: Add Brian's preset
- Found and fixed another ASIO buffer filling bug. The buffer wasn't allocated big enough which might have lead to weird issues (although I haven't been able to reproduce any issues here).
- Timeout bug Aaron Jowitt - must have been there for a long time, big VLC buffer sizes could cause sound card timeouts to be reported. Not sure if it's fully fixed yet...
- In one situation, LQLL output doesn't do anything. Need to investigate. -> Odd, seems fine now. Was logging in remotely, not sure what happened.
- VST version doesn't work in Wavosaur -> Works fine here, waiting for more feedback. -> Confirmed to work fine by original reporter with latest beta
- Benchmark composite clipper on Pi 3 with 3 threads! - WORKS, even on a Pi 2 I can run the Composite Clipper *and* Delossifier together now!
- Web interface text boxes add %20 etc.
- SST: Slider precision --> OHW
- SST: Preset list is sometimes empty, requires an SST restart (not sure if a reload of the GUI would help too, more input needed). --> Cause known, moved to OHW
- Bug in 001 with slider behavior - fixed.
- Tested (and confirmed it works fine) but also slightly improved constant clock speed difference calculation. It now averages over at least 12 minutes (that used to be 6 or 3).
- 1 channel audio files are not being processed, causing silence on air (plugin version). More than 2 channels will fail as well.
- Using ASIO for I/O, 192 kHz, non-ASIO Normal output, the Normal output receives 48 kHz audio instead of 192 kHz audio, causing constant buffer underruns, when 'Input without processing' is selected as Normal output source.
- SST: "Clip L/R peaks above" is always disabled, ON/OFF must be automatic based on slider setting.
- CPU core affinities Main 1 and 2 are not saved correctly (overwritten by LQLL affinity settings).
- SST: Composite Clipper must be on by default.
- Volume drop when using old Calibration settings.
- VST plugin: Added check to avoid crashes when the Process function gets called with a negative number of samples (Wavosaur does this with empty files).
- SST: Add presets
- Gate vs Gate Freeze ranges were different, causing sliders to go outside of their range.
- Added built-in self test for sound cards
- Thread priorities were not set after the processing core redesign, might have caused glitches on pc's with less than 4 cores.

TODO 8.14:
- Weird volume issue - Doesn't reproduce anymore. I had a few times that I selected a preset, and suddenly the volume would be too loud so it would sound really bad due to horrible clipping. I also saw a NAN warning on screen when that happened. Haven't been able to reproduce it since, it could be something that has been here for years and almost nevre happens... but I'm not certain if that's the case.

TODO 8.15:
- SST preset list is empty on first start
- WatchCat .lib file warnings at 64 bit - gaat mis, zie 8.14!
- Run as a service, including different crash restart behavior (just closes if service)
- Some presets are completely broken in latest beta
- SST multiple MicroMPX output IP addresses and ports CN.
- Complaint that test tones for calibration are broken in 8.14. - Ah, caused by Ignore high frequencies.
- In the latest Windows VST version I have the following problem. It always cuts the beginning of an audio file. It always starts hard and directly. I do not know how much is cut off, but it should be a few milliseconds. This was not the case at all.
- SST: Launch browser automatically on first start.
- SST: Improve startup screen.
- SST: Updated interface: Current presets visible, new list of MicroMPX IP/ports (partially there); clicking on meters in top bar takes you to the page directly; meter that corresponds with active screen is highlighted.
- MicroMPX: More startup info and waits for pressing ENTER at end (since it's command line, better if someone clicks on it)
- Catch crashes (should include VLC crashes!)
- UECP port always used (even if FM disabled).
- Rewrite error logging (todo: log to the proper directory).
- MicroMPX: Improved handling of out-of-order and lost packets.
- Add warning to RDS code if reading file takes long. --> Moved to a separate thread instead!
- Fix error message on crash - we need to know in which module it crashed! (For example Juli@ driver).
- Remove crash handling again - doesn't work. :( :( :( . If there is a fix anyway, improve restart behavior.
- MicroMPX: Improve pilot merge after drop when using slightly wrong frequency.
- SST multiple MicroMPX output IP addresses and ports in web GUI!!!
- Add buffer underrun warning - auto detect best possible latency??
- Maybe add common logging?

- I was noticing the veil jumping around all over the place last night and remembered the fix was to turn the dehummer on and analyze the audio with silence and then leave it on and it fixed it and sure enough that was the case still
- ControlsPanel Destruct() not called when quickly stopping service - Never mind (cannot happen normally, the service version never starts ControlsPanel)
- Annoying crackle in MB band 1 with higher lowpass filter frequency in Sound settings. One cause is fixed but that wasn't it :( -> Only seems to happen on 1 test system from 1 person, probably a sound card issue. Although it's still weird that he says it doesn't happen in 8.00. Ignoring this unless there's more info coming.
- Crash in 8.14 DSP - only 1 report so far, without any further info, ignoring for now. Next build will have pdf generation enabled.

TODO:
- Shane's Lynx card analysis.
- VLC issues?

Working on:
- New compressor behavior with Wes Keene
- Continue with AA Ratio, ARS Mode, Max Ratio, check which are needed and adjust GUI to make everything fit again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:04 pm 

Hi Hans,

GUI-bug in Window-window, Singleband and AGC compressor
DSP 8.14BETA002

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next