All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Re: Stereo Tool 8.12
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:14 pm 

Here is the same machine, set to one thread (rather than six)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:51 pm 

Ok,
But i don`t see the preset you use - can you upload it here ?
And at what frequency is that i7 ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:04 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi,

Using this ST version with VLC input is almost impossible :(
During one day I have over 20 crashes with this.

Regards
Is this different from before? I mean, are you sure that this is related to the new version, and that it's not caused by more network glitches fro example? Do you get an error message on crashes?
Maybe it's caused by network glitches but it should not crash - just only drop sound and play again. Sometimes I see erros message, I don't have print screens, sometimes ST just close without any info.
I older version like 7.84 it was better, I can test old again.
If it's caused by VLC there's nothing I can do about it, there are bugs that cause crashes in some of the codecs. That's why I'm asking if you see an error message (more specifically, a Stereo Tool error message inside the Stereo Tool GUI or a popup that it stopped responding - the latter would point at a VLC error). And that's why I want to know if it got worse - if so, I might have broken something, otherwise it could just be the network.

Again, there's no fix for this. I've also asked this on the VLC forums, they confirmed that. My conclusion so far is that I need to start using something else instead of VLC. For now, try different codecs until you find one that doesn't crash. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:15 pm 

Here is the latest STS for RadioDAVE.US. This has been an evolutionary collection of settings, so there may be some portions that have been deprecated (and should be removed!). RadioDAVE.US is streaming only, so there are no composite settings being used. The processing goal: provide pop music playback that is similar to U.S. broadcast, so that it is familiar, while not sounding as processed.

Machine Specs:
  • i7-5820k @ 3.30 GHz.
    Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
    16G RAM
    500G SSD
The streaming software is RadioDJ 1.8.2.0 with MySQL hosting the music library.

Hope that this is helpful!

Attachments:
File comment: Latest STS for RadioDAVE.US
2016-11-02 RadioDAVE.sts [88.53 KiB]
Downloaded 354 times

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:27 pm 

Ok Dave - thank you
Can i ask you how much CPU load shows task manager ? Mine shows around 28% - 1 thread test with your preset.
Only normal output enabled .

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:40 pm 

I'm seeing 4.6% CPU load with a single thread. This includes the overhead from the host software, RadioDJ. My computer is a little over-built for the required work.

If the STS consumes too much CPU, there are quite a few settings that are pumped up - since I have the available processing. I have many of the "Strictness" settings higher than default - lowering those would drop your CPU utilization. My setting also has CPU Quality set to 100%.

I'm wondering if we should move this chat to a different thread?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:47 pm 

no, everything is fine - thanks for the info :)
be cool

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:44 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is this different from before? I mean, are you sure that this is related to the new version, and that it's not caused by more network glitches fro example? Do you get an error message on crashes?
Maybe it's caused by network glitches but it should not crash - just only drop sound and play again. Sometimes I see erros message, I don't have print screens, sometimes ST just close without any info.
If it's caused by VLC there's nothing I can do about it, there are bugs that cause crashes in some of the codecs. That's why I'm asking if you see an error message (more specifically, a Stereo Tool error message inside the Stereo Tool GUI or a popup that it stopped responding - the latter would point at a VLC error). And that's why I want to know if it got worse - if so, I might have broken something, otherwise it could just be the network.

Again, there's no fix for this. I've also asked this on the VLC forums, they confirmed that. My conclusion so far is that I need to start using something else instead of VLC. For now, try different codecs until you find one that doesn't crash. :(
Is possible to make something less dependent on internal issues vlc? At the moment loks like too hard dependent to it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:36 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Is possible to make something less dependent on internal issues vlc? At the moment loks like too hard dependent to it.
Unfortunately, no, due to the way VLC was made. Chances are that VLC player would crash at the same moments of you would be using that. The only possible solution would be to run VLC in a separate process, and then have a watchdog that restarts it whenever it crashes. Or, hope that the people who make VLC fix the problems.. by the way, did you change VLC versions recently?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:32 pm 

Quote:
Hi,

Using this ST version with VLC input is almost impossible :(
During one day I have over 20 crashes with this.

Regards
Wavosaur no longer loads the VST plugin (we use it for batch processing), I also have experienced sometimes Foobar with Stereotool as fixed VST loaded (we use it for offline fine tuning the .sts) when started no longer processes audio.

Digital (no audio cards) on Rivendell, Jack Audio Connection, Liquidsoap, Icecast and Stereotool 9.37 in Virtualbox.