All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:25 pm 

Hi,

I'm testing the new beta now, and it's allot better now! The bass is indeed better and more powerfull. So far it's great, i'll continue testing..

>Mapleleaf: i tested the Kernel output but it does not work. But my quality is great i'm using the exellent M-audio driver.

/Martijn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:38 pm 

Quote:
Hi Mapleleaf,

> I did notice that a 10% cpu load will occur when one selects HD.

What do you mean by HD?

> Btw, did you ever check out that tcp/ip issue with the 'time-wait status' ?

Nope, not yet anyway...

About kernel streaming: Kernel streaming bypasses the Windows kMixer, an annoying piece of software that combines audio from different programs into one audio stream that is sent to the sound card. Especially older sound cards needed this because they didn't have the capability to play multiple streams simultaneously.

Because there's only one stream, kMixer often has to downsample or upsample streams before they can be combined. Often the drivers can be configured to always use a specific sample rate and number of bits (usually by default 44.1 kHz, 16 bits). Anything sent to the card with another sample rate is converted in that case. The kMixer sample rate converter is really bad, which often leads to really bad sound quality when this occurs.

I'm using the ESI Juli@ card for MPX output. If ANYTHING happens to the MPX signal, it won't be received correctly by the radio anymore. Since it is received correctly, I know that my sound card perfectly reproduces whatever I send to it. So there's no need to use kernel streaming. The driver switches automatically (which only works if you only use one program at a time), so kernel streaming won't give better results. On Windows Vista however, the driver doesn't support automatic switching and I do have to configure the intended sample rate and bit depth manually. (Without doing that I also cannot broadcast the MPX signal).
ooops typo should be HQ sorry

I still think you should at least look into the aspect of the difference between kernal streaming and direct streaming.

Yes. not all sound cards have it but for those that are using ST it is worth considering since the quality difference between the two is vast.

When I switch to direct output streaming too many artifacts are inidcated but switching over to kernal output streaming clear channel.

Granted the type and/or make of the sound card will decide which output mode you should follow.

Ok, here is a thought. why not try to find out from those who are using ST and SAMBC or SAMDJ what output mode they are using or capable of using. A good statistic to have then and only then depending on the number returned you can then proceed(a suggestion).

Btw, I am only 3hrs drive from you and I'll be happy to pack my system and drive over it's time I need some 'het kanon' and Maaslander kaas. ;-)

regards

mapleleaf

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:45 pm 

Quote:
Hi,

I'm testing the new beta now, and it's allot better now! The bass is indeed better and more powerfull. So far it's great, i'll continue testing..

>Mapleleaf: i tested the Kernel output but it does not work. But my quality is great i'm using the exellent M-audio driver.

/Martijn
As I said, not all sound card support this with SAM, I have a Creative X-fi elite pro and this sound card is awesomme well worth getting for those that can. Check the card out on Creative web site. I've had mine since July '05. I dont play mp3's anymore as I converted all mp3's to 24-bit audio wma which raises the quality of the to a higher level.

You will agree th ebetter the input of the audio quality the better the output is AND this is particualrly true when using an acc+ audio stream ; an acc+ 128k audio strema is as good or better than a 320 k mp3 stream AND it is much cheaper all inall an acc+ stream is more efficient than a mp3 stream. Winamp and Media player will support an acc+ stream.

regards

mapleleaf

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:15 pm 

Quote:

I've done several things to help reduce the cpu load
1. deactivated indexing service on my system << not really needed
2. deactivated restore service << only activated when I need to perform a restore.

mapleleaf

Just wanted to let you know, that the indexing tweak is okay, but the system restore is a
different thing.

You can only restore - when you have "restore points".

When you turn off the system restore ... you automatically delete the "restore points".

So -- if you wanted to do a system restore .. you would have nothing to restore from.

And ... actually, system restore doesn't require too much from your system. Mostly,
when you first boot up/shut down and when you are installing/uninstalling programs.
Any other time, it is usually running idle.

cheers!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

Small update: Very loud high frequencies no longer push away the mid frequencies. This leads to a slightly warmer and less shrill sound when loud high freqs are present.

Also I found a configuration setting that could cause some distortion to occur, changed it.

The difference is very small though.

If you want to have the updated version, download the BETA2 (link in one of my previous posts here) again. I'll try to finish everything and release the actual beta tonight. That will also contain a low latency version.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:04 pm 

Great, i'm running with the latest beta now and getting great resuts.. I'm also running with kernel output in SAM Broadcaster and it sounds allot better.

Good work Hans..

/Martijn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:04 am 

Quote:
Great, i'm running with the latest beta now and getting great resuts.. I'm also running with kernel output in SAM Broadcaster and it sounds allot better.

Good work Hans..

/Martijn
You're welcome as I said many times previously for those that can use kernal streaming with SAMBc or SAMDJ then it will result in a far better quality.

Additionally, you may also try, if not done so, by setting the CPU scheduling to background and you will notice a significant improvement in the audio. The rational is that music is processed in the background hence by increasing the background scheduling of the CPU your audio(music) will be the benefactor.

If you further use an acc+ stream with SAMBC then the quality in the audio with a 128K stream equal to that of the mp3 stream at 320K. Plus! it is cheaper than mp3 streams. I have on my web site a great explaination over acc+ and mp3 streaming

Therein, with the above being applied or used you benefit in not only quality of your audio but also at a cheaper price.

There are additional tweaks you can apply which involve some registry tweaking.

regards

mapleleaf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:58 pm 
Site Admin

Final beta (I hope) is now available on the download page.

Changes:
- Performance improvement. This version now uses the same amount of CPU power as version 3.30 in Normal and Low Quality mode (the difference is less than 1%). In High Quality mode, the CPU usage is 16% higher than in version 3.30. Measured using FM Loud preset.
- Reduced pumping caused by loud high frequencies a bit more. On average high frequencies are now 0.6 dB softer due to this at Loudness setting 3.00.
- Reduced distortion caused by loud low frequencies. On average low frequencies are now about 0.3 dB softer due to this at Loudess setting 3.00.
- Due to these changes, the mid frequencies are about 0.1 dB louder.

See http://www.stereotool.com/download/

If no problems are reported, I will replace version 3.30 by version 3.40 in a few days.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:42 pm 

Running fine here.. still tweaking the new beta.. but sounds good!

Thx,

Martijn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 am 
Site Admin

I thought that I was finished... But today I listened to some tracks with loud deep bass sounds and they sounded distorted.

I've just updated the version on the download page for this problem. Also, I have lifted limitations that I had set to the bass level to avoid this distortion - so the amount of bass when using high Loudness values is higher now.

New version can be found on the download page.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next