All times are UTC+02:00

Post subject: Pusher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:12 pm 

This is a transitional preset, and yes, the name does have a meaning...

This preset is generic-only, and not intended for broadcasting, either FM or web streaming. It is intended for hobbyists / home users.

That said, it is relatively loud. There is a +6.00 dB preamp, but no AGC. Vocals are improved this way, although there is still some room for improvement, but that will wait until I move to the new multiband (this still uses classic, and is why it is "transitional"). If the preset is generally felt to be "too loud", reducing the preamp to +3.00 dB will knock it down a bit, but I noticed that doing that took too much of an edge off of modern tracks.

Overshooting is controlled by both the simple clipper volume reduction and a -0.83 dB post-amp. If your particular setup using this preset still has overshooting (red output bars), try changing the post-amp to a full -1.00 dB. Alternatively, you could enable Hard Limit and be done with it.

Attachments:
Pusher.sts [40.6 KiB]
Downloaded 354 times

Post subject: Re: Pusher
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:50 am 

Did not expect this to be included. Since it was, I have an update.

I reduced the bass boost a bit and some other things to improve some low end distortion. Tested with various loud bass tracks.

Mids and lower-highs are also a bit better. Changes in both multiband and noise gate. Tested with Pink Floyd - Time.

Finally, I did enable hard limit. I have one of the slowest systems of people that post here, and it doesn't degrade performance. I also do not hear any real negative effects from enabling it. Enabling allowed me to raise the post-amp to -0.50 dB, which helps for louder "modern" (circa 2000+) tracks.

Attachments:
Pusher2.sts [40.64 KiB]
Downloaded 335 times

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:38 am 

I don't get this about no AGC. (?)
I mean if i compare, for example.. DNA Featuring Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner [12'' version] and Alex Gaudino - I'm in love (vocal edit) i have huge difference.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:01 am 

It's my belief, that seems to be supported by the sound that gets produced, that the AGC causes sounds from ~800 - 3K to get squashed. The Advanced Clipper allows you to bring back some of the mids, but that is not available for non-paid users.

So, yes, having an AGC helps for volume consistency, but at a cost of clarity. That's why I stated up front that this preset was not intended for broadcasting. The overall RMS is closer to the source material's RMS, although still louder than the source. You will though get varying output levels, but that is of less concern for non-broadcast uses.

Fundamentally, Pusher is a tweaked Cobalt, designed to add back the mids that are lost. Going even further, Pusher is basically Purity Control with compression on the upper bands and overshoot protection. It does have the downside of more variation of output levels.

I'll try to see if I can bring back the AGC, maybe only as single band...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:24 am 

Very quick and dirty single-band AGC. Will try to tweak it further, but just seeing if this addresses the volume consistency.

Main drawback is sustained loud female voices and other sounds in that frequency range tend to get suppressed too much. Case-in-point: Kelis - Brave, or Adele - Rolling in the Deep

Edit: Also Foo Fighters - The Pretender

Speaking of, for a hint on the name of the preset, consider Foo Fighters, and specifically Dave Grohl.

Attachments:
PusherAGCTest.sts [40.64 KiB]
Downloaded 316 times

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 am 

Ah ok, not for broadcasting,, but AGC (1 band does not cange sound at all, just level. Except ofc sudden burst protection and compressor (if ON).

That's why i asked for CS for AGC to be able to use 1 AGC band .. mostly because very bad crossover between b1 and b2 - wich ruins bass. Also crossover it there bit too high so B1 knows to kill some voices if Loud bass is present ;).

You can try to load my AGC settings from B-Natural and adjust output level from it. Give it atleas 6dB headroom.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:04 am 

Version with 1-band AGC

Attachments:
Pusher_AGC.sts [46.58 KiB]
Downloaded 341 times