All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
 Post subject: Re: Maximizer Presets
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 am 

Quote:
Quote:
That explains a lot... That's the traditional "smiley face" equalizer setting.
Well, since it's a popular setting, it's not so bad to align the preset to it.
Well, the smiley face EQ is a subject of debate, if you look around... :|

That said though, yes, a lot of people use that type of setting exclusively.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:46 am 

Quote:
Quote:
And the sound of my presets runs at my home through a graphic equalizer setting almost like this one:
http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/storag ... -35-02.JPG
That explains a lot...
Indeed !
Ok, smiley face EQ - even I use something similar for most German DVB radio broadcasts.
But not with 17 dB range !
LOL
Everyone that creates a preset for Stereo Tool should use settings that works without any additional EQ orgies like that.
Important:
Most people do not use that kind of extreme smiley EQ post Stereo Tool.
So how can you expect that your preset sounds good for others (that do not use your sick EQ settings) ?
It`s naive and stupid !

Attachments:
EQ.PNG
EQ.PNG [ 36.33 KiB | Viewed 9458 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:00 am 

Quote:
It`s naive and stupid !
I have zero tolerance for disrespectful characters. Take your overblown ego to a professional helper, instead of wasting my time. Welcome to my filter: *plonk*

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:26 pm 

New version. DL in the first posting:
Quote:
Version 14.11.2011 (for (6.20):
- "Dry" + "Wet": Enabled a slight vocal protection

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:20 am 

Quote:
I have zero tolerance for disrespectful characters. Take your overblown ego to a professional helper, instead of wasting my time. Welcome to my filter: *plonk*
Maximizer unmasks himself.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 am 

Quote:
I have zero tolerance for disrespectful characters.

Actually, he has a point. The reason why that preset sounded ok to you, but painful to him (and me) is because of the EQ settings that happen only on your side, post Stereo Tool. The way I have approached things is with my treble and bass settings to both 50% and my EQ totally flat. Because my EQ is flat, when you pass in boosted midrange signals through your preset, nothing after your preset attenuates them, so what I hear is very difficult to listen to. It lacked so much vibrance that it did remind me of AM radio, which is why I said it (monster-compressor) might make a good AM preset.

If you do not tell people about special settings on your side, then you may get negative commentary from time to time. All you need to do is just put a disclaimer stating that your preset is designed for the smiley-face EQ settings. That's it... Not too much trouble...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:42 am 

Quote:
If you do not tell people about special settings on your side
Since the smiley setting is popular, I wouldnt define my settings as special. And I wont get into the argument, whose setting is "special" and whose is "normal". Your settings I would define as "special" to me. Everyone has its preferences - you have yours, I have mine. Guys, come down from your high horse, like you have to total, objective truth on your hands. You think you are some kind of gods in this area, or what? This lack of tolerance that some people show here, just because someone like me differs from their personal, individual view; I dont complain around about your presets, because I tolerate yours, so if you dont like mine: Get over it already, nothing more to see here for you.

Jeesus. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:01 am 

Quote:
Everyone has its preferences - you have yours, I have mine. Guys, come down from your high horse, like you have to total, objective truth on your hands.
I mentioned that without knowing that you had a smiley face, I had nothing to attenuate (aka change the volume) of your preset, and thus it sounded poor and overpowering in the mids at my normal volume. That is an objective statement. My preference is subjective, yes, but my observation is completely objective. My comments have been aimed at attempting to help. Knowing that you have a smiley post-Stereo Tool and are tuning the sound to that is actually extremely important, given what I'm referencing below. See the bolded and underlined area.

The following is text from a white paper written by DTS, Inc., the creator of several industry-standard audio formats, which have been used in theaters for many films (Avatar, Fast Five, The Dark Knight, Titanic, Star Trek, The Matrix, Tron: Legacy, Saving Private Ryan, Star Wars films, and many others) and home theater systems.

http://wwcommunications.com/portfolio/w ... nhance.pdf

Quoting from that white paper, pg. 1 (3rd page of the PDF):
Quote:
The simple Smiley Face EQ adjustment is successful, to a limited degree, when the volume level is fixed. This is because it boosts frequencies in a manner that roughly compensates for the listener's ability to hear different frequencies, as described by the standard Equal Loudness Contours (see Fletcher-Munson or Robinson-Dadson).

Today, many listeners continue to rely on some form of Smiley Face EQ setting. Some engineers have even used it as a basis for audio mixing during recording sessions. However, any adjustment to volume invalidates these EQ settings. For this imprecise compensation to remain relevant, the Smiley face EQ would need to be re-tuned each time the volume is changed. If not, the audio is likely to become overwhelming at higher listening levels and underwhelming at lower levels. This limits the effective range in which consumer electronics products sound their best.
The white paper continues on discussing about encoding issues that cannot be handled by a standard smiley face, and describes their smarter smiley - dynamic changes rather than a fixed, static setting.
Quote:
I dont complain around about your presets, because I tolerate yours, so if you dont like mine: Get over it already, nothing more to see here for you.
Again, I've made comments that were objective, and those comments / opinions are backed by supporting literature from industry leaders in sound processing. Do I feel that makes me "better than you"? No. I offered my comments because I had a desire to help. For all the complaining you do about not being tolerant, you are very intolerant of helpful advice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:46 am 

Quote:
Quote:
I dont complain around about your presets, because I tolerate yours, so if you dont like mine: Get over it already, nothing more to see here for you.
Again, I've made comments that were objective, and those comments / opinions are backed by supporting literature from industry leaders in sound processing. Do I feel that makes me "better than you"? No. I offered my comments because I had a desire to help. For all the complaining you do about not being tolerant, you are very intolerant of helpful advice.
You dont get it, right? I have my listening preferences, and according to that I made these presets. You can throw a thousand white papers and discussions from others at me (also highly subjective views expressed there btw), these all dont change of how I like to listen to music. If a thousand people tell me, I have to like bananas, while I like apples best, I dont begin to dig bananas, just because everyone is telling me, I have to. Jeesus. Music listening preferences are ALWAYS subjective, professor.

You are some sort of control freak, who always wants to control others according to your world view, or what? And if they don't comply, they are intolerant to your intolerance?

And of course, if something is "helpful" and "objective" in the end you define, according to your interests. "I am always right. Period. Doubting me in itself is the sign of failure of my opponent." The "reverse psychology" rethoric doesnt work with me, my friend, its the old sandbox game of kids: "I am an a**? No, you are an a**!" Yawn.

EOD. I have better things to do. And to make shure, the discussion comes to an end here, I use the good old filter option.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:14 am 

Quote:
You can throw a thousand white papers and discussions from others at me (also highly subjective views expressed there btw)
Yes, the people that James Cameron and George Lucas approve to handle encoding the sound for their movies surely have it all wrong...

Quote:
You are some sort of control freak, who always wants to control others according to your world view, or what? And if they don't comply, they are intolerant to your intolerance?
I guess I missed the part where I've lobbed personal insults at you in response to constructive criticisms... :?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next